Has anyone's thoughts changed on Gus' chances?

SSJ16

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When this fight was first scheduled, I gave Gus no chance to win or even make it competitive. In my mind, Jones was just supremely better. Over the past several months of listening to the opinion's of other Sherdoggers and even watching the UFC countdown, Wednesday night, I find myself thinking this match will be much more competitive than I originally thought.

Even though I still pick Jones to win this match, I feel like I've been won over by the Gus hype, and I think this will be a solid test for JBJ.

Yes, I'm even more confident now that Gus will have nothing at all for Jones.

I'm still not sold. I don't think that Gus is a better striker, grappler, has a speed advantage, or is stronger than Jones. People are hyping his footwork, but his footwork is awful, compared to Jones. Gus gets hit hard during all of his fights. Shogun landed cleanly SEVERAL times. I just see no aspects in which Gus is better than Jones.

I wasn't sold on Weidman though, so I may be wrong, although I gave Weidman the grappling advantage. Still not sold on Weidman, for the record.

Gus will slowly get embarrassed throughout the fight. Jones will break him down and probably sub him in the later rounds. The only "shocker" would be if Jones "1 punch ko's" Gus which has very little chance of happening.

everybody's so sure he will lose. Gus definitely is an underdog but i have always felt that he has a huge chance to win

I'd assume his best chance at getting the win is catching and hurting the champ with a strike, standing; it'll be difficult to win 3 or more rounds decisively.

Dropping the champ may not even be enough; how good his recovery is isn't really known.

I think Gus won't get finished. But he will lose something like 49-46, at best. But would bet on a 50-44.

I think Gus will hurt Jones on the feet, Jones takes him down and finishes him

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Jones get massacred.. Unfortunately I can't say I expect it to be this Saturday :(

I'd assume his best chance at getting the win is catching and hurting the champ with a strike, standing; it'll be difficult to win 3 or more rounds decisively.

Dropping the champ may not even be enough; how good his recovery is isn't really known.

Bones has shown he can take a celan shot and keep on trucking. I'm looking forward to this fight and as much as I'm hoping that it will be somewhat competitive, I still am under the opinion that Jones will win it. I see it going the Chanp's way on this one.

I think Jones is better than him in every facet of mma and Gus is going to be elbowed into oblivion.

Gus is tough and has great cardio. He might survive the onslaught and come back in the latter rounds. Hopefully gus is aggressiv

Bones has shown he can take a celan shot and keep on trucking. I'm looking forward to this fight and as much as I'm hoping that it will be somewhat competitive, I still am under the opinion that Jones will win it. I see it going the Chanp's way on this one.

Yeah, Jones has more ways to win.

It'll be interesting to see if Gus can stuff a few takedowns and/or is able to get back up once taken down. Don't believe Jones has faced a striker as good as Gus-- Of course Machida is an excellent striker but he didn't have the length.

Yeah, I mentioned it in another thread.

He has this unshakeable confidence, and it seems absolutely real. That's what makes him so dangerous.

I still dont give him much of a chance.

Bones is THAT good.

Unfortunately.

Gus has a small chance of taking Jones out in the first round. After that, Jones gets in his comfort zone and destruction follows.

Jones will break Gustafsson and make him quit. 3rd round tap.

Back