Has anyone used Molecular Hydrogen supplements?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Fat82, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

Hi Everyone,

A rep from an alkaline supps company was at my club the other day -- he had a molecular hydrogen product which hes said was amazing for inflammation, lactic acid build up, injury recovery blah blah blah

I'm pretty skeptical of anything alkaline-supps related, but molecular hydrogen seem to have a bit of science behind it.

Recent Progress Toward Hydrogen Medicine: Potential of Molecular Hydrogen for Preventive and Therapeutic Applications

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257754/

Anyone had first hand experience?

2. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

Interesting. Makes me wonder about Mankuna Raw Honey.

3. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

Aka, water?

4. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

Just H2, not H2O.

5. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

When the paper you listed uses quotes around the word "novel" you know it's just bullshit. I'm not a chemist, but I am studying organic chemistry, and I can't see how digesting H2 would do anything for a human. Again, I'm not a chemist, but if anything you'd want to take an O2 supplement.

Reading the paper it does sound as though it's more geared towards the idea of "We can sell this bullshit to people" instead of "this is medical science and will help millions." Just my take, but to be fair, I'm often wrong. ; )

Cool topic though TS.

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  6. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

Yeah, I'm suitably skeptical, and there isn't a whole lot of info around if you discount product websites. I think I'm going to give it a try anyway -- if it turns me into Wolverine I'll let everyone know.

Another link to a more recent study below.

The evolution of molecular hydrogen: a noteworthy potential therapy with clinical significance [submitted 2013]

http://www.medicalgasresearch.com/content/3/1/10

"Currently there is only one active clinical trial concerning molecular hydrogen as a therapy. The study involves the evaluation of hydrogen administered orally and topically as a therapy for sports-related soft tissue injuries. This study aims to measure and observe changes in serum interleukin 6, plasma viscosity, passive joint flexibility, joint swelling, pain intensity, and serum C-reactive protein. This is currently a Phase 2 clinical trial and hopefully the outcome of this clinical trial will be promising and lead to more clinical trials involving hydrogen rich formulations in the future."

7. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

So the study hasn't even concluded, but you're going to put this stuff into your body? Granted, it's only elemental hydrogen gas, but why would you do such a thing?

8. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

lol wat.

9. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

I'm happy to take one for the team. Pretty sure I've put worse shit on my body over the years haha

10. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

Fair enough man! ; ) I'm pretty sure there's no harm, but keep a good log of everything when you take it. Also, recognize the Placebo effect and try to ensure you're not just falling victim to bullshit.

11. NoSmilez

NoSmilez Black Belt

Hydrogen will make you more explosive......by using the cannizzaro mechanism... The -H produced from the initial -OH attack on the carbonyl will prevent free radicals from forming within your body....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    JSN likes this.
  12. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

Could you dumb that down for me?

13. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

That's what we call a red flag.

You get plenty of hydrogen from carbohydrates. Also the whole alkalinity trend is utter bullshit. The stomach is supposed to be acidic. Different parts of the body have different optimum pH ranges. Urine is supposed to be acidic. I've seen patients who literally were drinking alkaline water with hydrochloric acid tablets (for their digestion) because that's what a naturopath told them and they didn't question it.

I've also seen people who test the pH of their first urination of the morning and then assume that if it is acidic that means something is wrong and they need to buy more supplements (newsflash, it's supposed to be acidic).

The whole alkalinity paradigm is built on utter nonsense and a sub elementary school level of understanding of basic chemistry, biochemistry, and pathophysiology.

He's fucking with you.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  14. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

I suppose I would be a "red flag" to some. But i'd argue that for discerning, normal adults saying that a supps rep has a 'hidden agenda' to sell me something I may or may not need would be stating the obvious. That has nothing to do with the validity of a product.

I totally agree with you about alkalinity, but my question concerned hydrogen supps -- unlike the alkaline trend, which has been universally panned by mainstream science, the usefulness of hydrogen supps for recovery seem to be backed by the very few peer-reviewed studies I could find.

I'm no expert, btw. I'm learning as I go.

Good one :)

15. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

I can't believe this is a serious conversation...

McBryde Mats LLC likes this.
  16. Fat82

Fat82 White Belt

I cant believe you took the time to write that pointless comment

17. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

No the red flag is not just that the person is a sales rep but that they are a sales rep for an alkaline supplements company.

It's like saying you got this great tip about health from your snake oil dealer.

18. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

Don't get mad that you fell for a scam based on a supplement derived FROM THE MOST ABUNDANT RESOURCE ON THE PLANET.

19. billions17

billions17 White Belt

yeah it is the most abundant resource on the planet. the whole entire universe actually. why do you think the sun has so much energy? its because of hydrogen. you should really try researching it. its some amazing stuff. all the rage in asia.

20. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

getting hydrogen replaement therapy as we speak