Has anyone tried the Anabolic Diet?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Its a low-carb diet invented by Dr Mauro Di Pasquale and it claims roid like recovery and results.

Basically you consume a high fat/protein diet with no more 30 grams of carb for 5 days straight and you carb load on weekends.

Anyone tried it before?

Are people still following that? That book/diet came out when the low-carb craze revived in the mid-1990s. I actually bought it, though I'm not at all low-carb now. I believe it was low-carb with some high-carb/junk food cheating allowed on weekends. That made it pretty unique compared to Atkins, Protein Power and other popular LC diets back then.

Yes. Tried it years ago. I was already fairly lean but I got shredded....problem was during my 5 low carb days I felt like absolute shit....and then over the binge/reload weekend feasting I felt like...shit.
It was hard getting through my workouts during the week...but I've always needed carbs to perform. Your mileage may vary. Performance-wise...for me it sucked.

this just sounds like cyclical keto without the depletion workouts. from my own personal experience of keto, i can't imagine flipping in and out of ketosis weekly is going to be good for your training and gains at all. you need to adapt to running on fats for a while to get your performance back otherwise you'll gas pretty hard during the adaptation stage, which ironically lasts about a week.

if i slip out of keto then back in again for a day or two, it usually takes a week or more for me not to feel utterly drained in training, but after that its fine. not so much an issue with weight training, but it will have a huge impact on high intensity cardio like boxing or muay thai. switching back to carbs on the other hand is easy peasy and feels like rocket fuel the first few days.

maybe after a while your body adapts to this kind of frequent switching though, who knows, but it sounds like a ball ache.

Yes. Tried it years ago. I was already fairly lean but I got shredded....problem was during my 5 low carb days I felt like absolute shit....and then over the binge/reload weekend feasting I felt like...shit.
It was hard getting through my workouts during the week...but I've always needed carbs to perform. Your mileage may vary. Performance-wise...for me it sucked.

What kind of food were you consuming on the low carb?

Was there a lack of fibre or quality fat and meat?

I train in brazilian jiu jitsu and boxing on weekdays with at least 4 hours of jogging. I keep it low to zero carbs during the weekdays, and I eat a lot of coconut oil with chicken or pork. During the weekends, I do heavy deadlifts and a lot of hypertrophy exercises, and usually have 3 glasses of milk the night before. I notice the difference of what a little bit carbohydrates can do for you. My recommendation is not to binge on carbs on the weekends. You don’t need too much carbohydrates in able to perform. Also, keeping your carb intake low on the weekends won’t counteract your Keto Lifestyle during the weekdays.

Last edited:
Isn't this another variation of Keto? All these low carb diets are almost all the same.

Isn't this another variation of Keto? All these low carb diets are almost all the same.

It's basically cyclical keto. You eat high fat, high protein, low carb for 5-6 days then have a carb refeed on the weekend.

It's basically cyclical keto. You eat high fat, high protein, low carb for 5-6 days then have a carb refeed on the weekend.
but keto isn't high protein. too much protein can get one out of ketosis

I need to try this, i can never go full keto which means zero carb, but this anabolic sounds interesting, you basically have a two cheat days on the weekend as a carb load

I need to try this, i can never go full keto which means zero carb, but this anabolic sounds interesting, you basically have a two cheat days on the weekend as a carb load

You could also try a Targeted Keto Diet. In that protocol you eat some very high glycemic carbs(something low in fiber with very little fructose) about 30 mins prior to your workout to help with your performance.....that is if you're doing something high intensity like lifting or sprints. By the end of your workout you should have burned through all of those carbs and your body can shift more quickly back to ketosis afterwards. Plenty of info out there on TKD but that's the basic idea.

But I totally see the allure of having a nice refeed day where you can down a bunch of tasty and healthy carbs. Probably more sustainable in the long run. I think the anabolic diet suggests that you become really fat adapted first though so you have that metabolic flexibility without feeling like total shit. Back in the Day Vince Gironda instructed his clients to eat a moderate amount of carbs every 4 days. Dude was kind of a kook but had some interesting ideas and may have been ahead of his time to some degree.

You could also try a Targeted Keto Diet. In that protocol you eat some very high glycemic carbs(something low in fiber with very little fructose) about 30 mins prior to your workout to help with your performance.....that is if you're doing something high intensity like lifting or sprints. By the end of your workout you should have burned through all of those carbs and your body can shift more quickly back to ketosis afterwards. Plenty of info out there on TKD but that's the basic idea.

But I totally see the allure of having a nice refeed day where you can down a bunch of tasty and healthy carbs. Probably more sustainable in the long run. I think the anabolic diet suggests that you become really fat adapted first though so you have that metabolic flexibility without feeling like total shit. Back in the Day Vince Gironda instructed his clients to eat a moderate amount of carbs every 4 days. Dude was kind of a kook but had some interesting ideas and may have been ahead of his time to some degree.
Vince also claimed that eating like 36 whole eggs a day was similar to a mild cycle of dianabol steroids

Haha, like I said. He was pretty kooky.
Vince was a legend, probably the greatest natural physique, and he was legit. He basically was doing that low carb before it was even cool, he was ahead of his time, the 36 eggs thing sounds scary lol. Didnt vince also basically start gomad diet with whole milk? I did that back when i played football drink gallons of whole milk a day and i put on 15 pounds in a month and had stretch marks but it made me have oily skin and i started growing thick stray hairs on my ears, im guessing its from the hormones they injected in the cows.

@2:45

Reminded me of this thread.

Back