Has anyone taken a year off from University or College?

I actually took a year off about 2 years ago due to money and stuff. I basically just worked during the time away, not sure how it'll work for you but they made me start paying on my loans once I was 6 months away. Once I enrolled again I didn't have to keep paying though. If I hadn't been tight on money I wouldn't have taken the break and I wouldn't recommend it either. Whose to say you'll end up wanting to go back? It's better in my opinion to just get it all done ASAP.

I went straight from high school to university, because that's what you're supposed to do, right? Not if you don't know what you're long-term goals are.

So my first year of university was stressful, costly and useless. I took a year off, worked at a low stress job and focused more on getting in shape and enjoying the outdoors.

I went back to a trade school, 2 year program and graduated, got a career which I've been with for 18 years now.

I agree depending on your age though. I think the younger you are the hard it will be to get back to it. I'm 27 and as burnt out as I am with working and schooling full-time I won't stop until I get to where I want. I know a few people that quit second or third year out of high school and never went back. Now they have kids and are married or divorced and in too much debt to go back at the moment.

Try to stick with it.

I fell into this...once youget out of the routine its hard to get back into it and its easy to put off; until you get real life issues that take that option away from you long term if not permanently.

Its not impossible to do...but highly unlikely it ends well.

I plan on taking a leave of absence due to burnout and other personal reasons.

For those of you who have done something similar, how did you spend your time off from school? Any suggestions?

Get a job.Save up some money and take a vacation.Get some work/world experience.Who knows,you might love your job and stay longer.I got my associates a few years back.I had to take a few more classes to transfer.I was tired of school and wanted to work.I've been at my job for 4.5 yrs.I finished a vocational-type program and college isn't in the cards for the time being.

Back