Has anyone taken a year off from University or College?

Only take that time off if you will be using the time for relevant work experience, meaningful life experience (Peace Corps/hike the Appalachian trail) or (and only if in dire straits) earn tuition money. Don't do it to take a break and fart around.

I never understand how people that leave school can afford to have adventures and then come back to it. Unless you take a lengthy hiatus that lets you build up the funds, or someone generous donates to your cause. Maybe I'm just jealous.

I was burnt out as fuck by the end of second year. Uninspired and unenthusiastic about my program. Miserable as hell.

I took a part-time load for the next year, got a part-time job and started focusing on things I loved doing. Started down some new avenues, but kept a foot and a thought process in the academic doorway just so I could still tell that my head was on straight. It might have fallen right off had I left completely.

When I came back full-time I felt refreshed, informed, and ready to go. The results reflected that. The one drawback was that the other things I was doing were calling me to go back the entire rest of the time I was in school. I just had to understand that being in school would allow me to get back to those things without financial stress. That's a big motivating force for me even now.

Stick with it. Granted I had sufficient financial aid to pull through uni, but many people I knew took a year or so of because they couldn't afford it or lost their financial aid. It's been difficult for them to go back.

took 2 years off then went back, wish I didn't. First year back was a false start, then realized I had to switch degrees bc the prior career path was no longer fitting. So much time working shitty jobs was definitely not worth it.

I did.

People always spouted the same nonsense: oh, don't take time, you won't go back.

I said I was going to take one year, I did, went back, and finished. Not to mention that I went from skipping classes and getting B's and C's from the first year, to attending pretty much every class (except for illness and death in the family) and finishing with a 3.8.

In my year off I worked as a bouncer. I had just turned 18, but I always looked a lot older and acted it. I also got to train both mornings and nights. If you have the financial/family situation to do so, and you feel like it's a productive move, do it.

I quit for half a year because of financial reasons. I wasted the time mostly. Did jobs here and there. Couldn't find full time work even at restaurants and shit. Made sure to get my ass back in the next semester, cause I ain't trying to enter the job market in my hometown.

I also watched a fuck ton of TV since I hadn't watched almost any TV shows in my previous 3 years at college.

i took 3 years off to join the Army. When i went back, i felt like an old fart. Needless to say, I was always popular with the ladies and the war stories. Not to mention I didn't pay a single dime for my school

did a year of art school right out of high school. i couldn't really make sense of what career path i would follow with an art degree so i dropped out. spent the majority of my 20's traveling, having adventures, getting tattoos, chasing women and i wouldn't change it for anything.

Worked in the california conservation corps for a while, sold and tailored tuxedos, worked in a graveyard setting headstones and building mausoleums, was a cook at the hooters in new orleans, a golf caddy, did environmental education in norcal, worked at a ski resort in lake tahoe, was a commercial/residential landscaper including some tree-work and masonry, spent some time volunteering in korea and nepal, worked for an advertising firm in NYC, not to mention various jobs bartending or waiting tables.

I stayed in new york to go back to school, and am now about a year and a half away from getting my degree in mechanical engineering, with a very respectable GPA.

for me, this was the better way of doing things, if i had stayed in school i would have gotten a degree in fine arts or art history and who knows what job i would have ended up with. as an older student i feel more focused and have a greater sense of purpose than many of my younger classmates. also had i not taken this path, i would never have ended up studying engineering, which i find more interesting academically than art and should be a more rewarding career both intellectually and financially.

that said, its not for everyone, but some time off, especially coupled with some travel, can do wonders for a man's perspective. best of luck on whatever you decide.

I'm taking a semester off to focus on my MMA career. I have a decent job now and going back to school this semester means I can't work and make money and can't train. That's why my last fight was in August. I never had time to train and prepare during the fall semester. I am taking this time making money and and compete to see where I stand I'm the MMA universe.

If I do well I'm sticking to MMA. If I get my ass kicked, well back to the books!

I plan on taking a leave of absence due to burnout and other personal reasons.

For those of you who have done something similar, how did you spend your time off from school? Any suggestions?

I took like almost 3 yrs off, since i was supposed to finish autumn 2010, but I actually finished 1 month ago.
It will probably go down in history as the most useless spent time ever.
Want an advice?
- Don't do it!

took a break and finished up my physics degree, my goal is to one day create a new technology, that is the only thing that has ever driven me. i thinking of a large spherical shaped acoustic room that channels sound in a way that is very moving to the senses and creates a vast array of different sounds and unveils a much broader spectrum of sound. It is the sound of intelligent life.

what about the cia?

I took 2 years off after high school to work as I had no idea what I wanted to do.

don't waste your time

take a lighter load.. a whole year off is a huge mistake.. everyone that i've seen do it regrets it

I never did, when I thought of taking time off I just took 3 courses per semester vs 5. The guys that I knew that said they were taking time off never came back.

Back