Has anyone taken a year off from University or College?

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I plan on taking a leave of absence due to burnout and other personal reasons.

For those of you who have done something similar, how did you spend your time off from school? Any suggestions?

i took about 3.5 years off. got a job, then went back when i was 23. finished my bachelor's in a couple of years, currently working on my master's.

Not a good idea, IMO.

I agree depending on your age though. I think the younger you are the hard it will be to get back to it. I'm 27 and as burnt out as I am with working and schooling full-time I won't stop until I get to where I want. I know a few people that quit second or third year out of high school and never went back. Now they have kids and are married or divorced and in too much debt to go back at the moment.

Try to stick with it.

took a break and finished up my physics degree, my goal is to one day create a new technology, that is the only thing that has ever driven me. i thinking of a large spherical shaped acoustic room that channels sound in a way that is very moving to the senses and creates a vast array of different sounds and unveils a much broader spectrum of sound. It is the sound of intelligent life.

Last edited:
took a break and finished up my physics degree, my goal is to one day create a new technology, that is the only thing that has ever driven me

what about big booties?

lol its hard to go back once you stop. I quit like 4-5 years ago for god knows what. I was lucky enough to get a good office job tho, a degree doesn't help me an immense amount now that I'm employed. But I will still go back within the next year or 2 to finish scholarships that expire. If you plan on finishing stay, if you got a job lined up and wanna work/buy a house it might not be a terrible idea.

Dont do it. Just take a lighter load next semester.

Also whats your major? Are you working?

Why exactly are you burned out?

i did and never came back.

If you want to finish -stick with it.

I worked, spoke to women, and had awesome hobbies... then went back and it all went away.

stick it out man. your circumstance may be drastically different in a year and prevent you from returning to school

I plan on taking a leave of absence due to burnout and other personal reasons.

For those of you who have done something similar, how did you spend your time off from school? Any suggestions?

I am studying Music at the University that I attended back in 2002 I took 2 years off.

I did not get a Job right away/ Instead I focused on my hobbies like Photography and playing guitar. If I am not making money I make sure I spend my time doing something meaning full.

I had to this year against my will due to financial and personal problems. I get nervous now that I won't get to go back.

My cousin gets a free ride because of his father's military funding. He took a year off just because he wanted too, then slacked off when he came back. He is going to graduate soon while I had to miss my 1st year.

took a break and finished up my physics degree, my goal is to one day create a new technology, that is the only thing that has ever driven me. i thinking of a large spherical shaped acoustic room that channels sound in a way that is very moving to the senses and creates a vast array of different sounds and unveils a much broader spectrum of sound. It is the sound of intelligent life.

You are joking aren't you?

Either take a lighter number of credits or take a summer semester off. I regret taking the Spring and Summer semester off I could have been done with college but now I won't get done until Spring '14.

Get it over with and you'll be glad you did.

After my first year of university I was wondering what the f I was doing there so I took a year off.

I spent time in the Rocky Mountains, spent a week volunteering and living at a homeless shelter and then went down to El Salvador where I fell in love with Spanish and Latin Americans.

When I went back to University I started to take a ton of Spanish classes and loved them. I eventually graduated with a BA and a Spanish major...which is useless professionally, but I ended adopting a Mexican refugee as my daughter. So I'm not exactly killing it professionally, but I'm happy and that year was one of the most important ones in my life.

Also, I'd never seen true poverty before El Salvador--a country that had a 60% unemployment rate while I was there. Seeing that gave me a sense of wanting to look out for disadvantaged people and it made me realize how lucky I am and what's important. Just don't forget to go back to school when your year is over.

Do it.

I took 1 1/2 years off and came back more focused and got better grades in all of my classes.

As for that year and a half off I just worked, lived, and played video games. Then eventually joined a gym and that kept me busy.

I tried to look for the stats I found before, but 46% of college students drop out. It's something like 80% of those won't go back and actually finish.

I was an anomaly and went back to finish within 6 years after high school which was even more of a statistical anomaly. Most who take a year or more off don't finish at all let alone within 6 years.

Anyways, my suggestion? Tough it out.

Back