Has anyone shown us the gameplan to beat GSP?

Or Jones could simply adapt and refuse to lose other than his DQ. I think someone going into a fight trying to use a 'blueprint' against Jones is a mistake. Furthermore, I think Gus is gettign the credit he deserves but Jones is getting zero credit for showing the true heart of a warrior.

Someone like Jones, the blueprint to beat him doesn't work since he's still learning, he's different at every fight and he'd close up the exposed holes in his game...his game is constantly evolving

GSP doesn't seem to be improving, he's solid and very high level but hasn't changed much in years

When he strikes he works a Karate range. You can't get close to him. His superman punches land with insane accuracy. When you start moving forward this is when he goes for the double. He times his takedowns beautifully.

It's really hard for his opponents. Both Condit and Diaz looked like amateurs in there with GSP, and thsese are 2 of the top fighters around.

You've got to learn to strike with GSP at his range. This is why Hendricks isn't going to do shit against GSP. He's not even going to get close. His method of closing the distance is bullrushing with a 1-2.

Anyways, I think the 1 way you beat him was briefly shown by Nick Diaz. You've got to be able to stuff the takedowns, outcardio him, and something that I wish Nick did more of- grind him against the cage.

I think holding him in the clinch against the cage is the only way to beat GSP. But of course, you have to learn how to defend the takedown.

Do it Jake shields style, poke him in the eye and hope for the best

Probably what Hendricks said: eat a couple of soft jabs to throw something big. Over and over until you catch him.

Kos+Eye.jpg

Josh tried this GREAT game plan. Normally end up looking like this after a couple "soft" jabs.

There is no gameplan when you fight the best striker and grappler in the division. You hope he makes a mistake and you have a puncher's chance to capitalize.

When he strikes he works a Karate range. You can't get close to him. His superman punches land with insane accuracy. When you start moving forward this is when he goes for the double. He times his takedowns beautifully.

It's really hard for his opponents. Both Condit and Diaz looked like amateurs in there with GSP, and thsese are 2 of the top fighters around.

You've got to learn to strike with GSP at his range. This is why Hendricks isn't going to do shit against GSP. He's not even going to get close. His method of closing the distance is bullrushing with a 1-2.

Anyways, I think the 1 way you beat him was briefly shown by Nick Diaz. You've got to be able to stuff the takedowns, outcardio him, and something that I wish Nick did more of- grind him against the cage.

I think holding him in the clinch against the cage is the only way to beat GSP. But of course, you have to learn how to defend the takedown.

I agree with everything except the Diaz comments. GSP had a pretty serious achiles injury which made him not commit to takedowns, and he was ill with a high fever which killed his cardio. Even with being sick and seriously injured he won every round vs Diaz easy.

Ah, just like Condit did when he got hit by Hendrick's H-bomb?

GSP having a bad chin is a hysterical myth, as proved by him surviving that Condit kick that would have ended almost any WW.

However, GSP can't take a shot like Condit can, in fact, I don't think any WW can, I think Condit has the p4p best chin in MMA.

It sounds retarded but the only way to beat GSP is... be better than GSP. Which essentially means becoming the best at EVERYTHING.

First off, and the most obvious one, is your wrestling needs to be insanely good. GSP is the very best of his division (Kos/Hendricks are right their with him), so to beat him, you have to become the best wrestler in your division... So basically the best WW MMA wrestler ever.

Now, if you use that wrestling defensively to keep the fight on your feet, well, you're going to have to have very, very technical striking with significant power too. GSP has some of the best striking defense of all the champs, statistically speaking and his jab is one of the best in the sport. So you have to get around dat jab, and then work your way through his tight defense.

If you want to use your world class wrestling to take it to the mat, then you're top game better be rock fucking solid, because GSP manages to reverse everyone or at least get back to his feet. And, of course, if he ends up on top of you, you have to be very good off your back too, because he will slice through your guard and make life very, very unpleasant.

Oh and you have to be an exceptional athlete too, because GSP is quick, strong and has cardio for days.

And he's one of the best ever when it comes to following gameplans.

Good fucking luck with all of that.

There's a reason he's the owner of arguably the best resume in the sport.

Catch him on an off day? It's as good as any.

I don't think there is a strategy that has been used that shows exactly how you would beat him.

That said, hit anyone hard enough and they will go down. Which is easier said than done though.

Serra and condit

GSP has no hole on his game, but there is a lot of hole on dat chin.

It sounds retarded but the only way to beat GSP is... be better than GSP. Which essentially means becoming the best at EVERYTHING.

First off, and the most obvious one, is your wrestling needs to be insanely good. GSP is the very best of his division (Kos/Hendricks are right their with him), so to beat him, you have to become the best wrestler in your division... So basically the best WW MMA wrestler ever.

Now, if you use that wrestling defensively to keep the fight on your feet, well, you're going to have to have very, very technical striking with significant power too. GSP has some of the best striking defense of all the champs, statistically speaking and his jab is one of the best in the sport. So you have to get around dat jab, and then work your way through his tight defense.

If you want to use your world class wrestling to take it to the mat, then you're top game better be rock fucking solid, because GSP manages to reverse everyone or at least get back to his feet. And, of course, if he ends up on top of you, you have to be very good off your back too, because he will slice through your guard and make life very, very unpleasant.

Oh and you have to be an exceptional athlete too, because GSP is quick, strong and has cardio for days.

here are two types of fighters who might beat him(excluding someone who is a better gsp) if there was a sprawl and brawl prime chuck type fighter or a jacare type fighter who he'd be afraid to take down. his defense is too good and between the jab, his counter takedowns and his own insane tdd i dont think offensive wrestling would ever be the answer.

Solid response.

He's had a lot of battles and I can't think of any that outlined the way to beat him. Anderson had Chael, Jones had Gus, Machida had Shogun... most great fighters who seem unbeatable eventually have someone show the world what strategy they need to train.

It's amazing that that's never happened to GSP. I can't think of a match that had fighters sitting down and working on all new strategies to dethrone the WW king.

Hendricks seems like the guy, but, he lost to KOS IMO. If he lost to KOS, that makes me think, GSP will be able to take him down and GSP him.

Simply put, someone who can make GSP stand up and trade punches with someone who is a better striker. GUS did this to JJ.

From watching GSP, his strikes are more like set ups for takedowns. If there is anyone he can't takedown, which is hard to fathom, then he is in trouble. I think this not because of Serra. GSP doesn't have a weak chin, since he was hit in the temple but not the chin. Serra does hit hard at close quarters. But Condit wobbled GSP as well.

GSP can lose to someone who can do just what hendricks can do. But his TDD will be the make or break.

GSP doesn't really have much in his game to exploit. All the fighters that ever fought him I believe just went in there with the best of the skill set they have. GSP shut every single one of them down. Some people may call him boring which IMO he kinda is to certain extent but you can't deny that he always shows everything a mixed martial artist needs in the fight game.

Submit or knock him out. I don't think you can out point GSP.

Probably, and that's because he hasn't run into his athletic equal over the past several years.
Of the guys with cardio (Condit and Diaz) to match him, they are significantly weaker than him physically, and can't stop his TD's. GSP's BJJ is also on a high enough level that they can't sweep or sub him.

Of the guys with strength (Alves, Kos, Shields, maybe Hendricks), he's far quicker than them and capable of baffling them by mixing it up, and keeping a pace that they can't handle. The Burger and DHK would probably lose to him in a similar manner to Kos.

I think fighters need to accept that they're going to lose rounds, and train themselves to stick to trying to catch him standing. Condit appeared to be doing this and was the closest to winning against him.
Guys like Lyoto and Anderson might be able to do this, but they are also bigger than him.

I don't think it's relevant to bring up stuff from many years ago (Serra, Hughes) right now.

Back