Has anyone shown us the gameplan to beat GSP?

According to bjorn rebney the key to beating gsp is have him fight ben askren. lol
Until then a lucky punch or kick seems to work.

So essentially the gameplan to beat GSP is to beat him.

LISTEN JOHNY! THE PLAN IS FUCKING SIMPLE - JUST GO OUT THERE AND BEAT HIM! PUNCH AND KICK HIM IN THE FACE!

I think I'd make a great coach / corner man.

People.can't just train to fight the fight Gus did. You take away his body build to be able to nullify Jones reach advantage he holds over everyone and that fight would have been totally diff. 2 4 5 bones btw

True, but up until Gus it was just a theory that someone with Jones' reach would cause him trouble. Now that we've seen what kind of trouble that can cause, it can definitely influence how fighters approach Jones and it could even convince some lighter guys to come down from HW to try to take the belt. Gus' performance could get some wheels turning.

True, but up until Gus it was just a theory that someone with Jones' reach would cause him trouble. Now that we've seen what kind of trouble that can cause, it can definitely influence how fighters approach Jones and it could even convince some lighter guys to come down from HW to try to take the belt. Gus' performance could get some wheels turning.

Or Jones could simply adapt and refuse to lose other than his DQ. I think someone going into a fight trying to use a 'blueprint' against Jones is a mistake. Furthermore, I think Gus is gettign the credit he deserves but Jones is getting zero credit for showing the true heart of a warrior.

Other than lucky punch/kick, it's simple. Have better striking. Have better wrestling. Have better BJJ. Have better gameplan. If you are better than him in 1 thing only, he does anything but it.

I think the first fight with kos showed that if you go on the offense with the wrestling you can have success. Too many people have try and bomb as the game plan after Serra's fluke.

so basically somebody who is better than GSP..... who woulda thunk??

Yeah, it's easy. Someone with Anderson's striking, prime Liddell tdd/ability to get up, jacare bjj. Guy like that would beat gsp!

those "soft" jabs dont really look all that soft. Seems like he is busting ppls faces with them. GSP has fought lots of tough fighters im sure if his jab was fluff lots of those guys would have np walking thru it. Yet to see ppl do it tho.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Only way to beat him is by landing. Big strike like Serra did or condit almost did

Or Jones could simply adapt and refuse to lose other than his DQ. I think someone going into a fight trying to use a 'blueprint' against Jones is a mistake. Furthermore, I think Gus is gettign the credit he deserves but Jones is getting zero credit for showing the true heart of a warrior.

As much as I hate jones if anything that fight showed how jones is more likely to rule, he out struck one of the best strikers of the division that actually can compare in size with jones. Not only that we saw jones has pretty good cardio which is why he beat gus and a pretty good chin. It isn't the case like with Anderson where his tdd seemed questionable or gsp's chin/mental game.

I used to like a chuck liddel style amazing sprawl with brick hands would be a good template but thinking back when Kos sprawled in the first fight GSP took him airborn and across the octagon until he got the takedown.

One have to hit him really hard on the chin.

But that goes for anybody.

This thread definitely brings the lulz. :)

Not since he lost to Serra. GSP is one of the hardest champs to formulate a gameplan against because hardly has any holes to exploit. Hendricks' has a puncher's chance and that's about it.

Connecting with a punch, that seems to work

Probably what Hendricks said: eat a couple of soft jabs to throw something big. Over and over until you catch him.

Easier said than done, when Hendricks comes in, he's gonna find himself on the mat. I guarantee he's gonna be surprised as hell.

Got to finish him. Due to GSP's reach and eight advantages combined with his incredible wrestling and kicks you're not beating him over the course of five rounds. You've got to finish him with a shot like Serra did. Condit came the closest since IMO. I think Hendricks has the best 1 punch KO power of anyone GSP has faced so far and if he can land GSP will go down.

GSP knows how to keep opponents off balance. He mixes standup and take downs better than anyone. And he's very athletic. Even Jones could learn how to mix it up more. He was telegraphing those take downs against Gus.

A GSP who doesn't take risks and plays it safe is a hard puzzle to solve. Seriously, Condit wasn't that close to ending the fight.

Yes, there is always the chance of the big shot because GSP doesn't have the divisions top chin, but he also doesn't take risks and knows how to give himself time to recover.

I don't think anyone outside of Rory can beat him. Rory is a huge WW with a diverse game. Would love to see that.

Back