Has anyone in the Pittsburgh area here been to the Renzo Gracie Academy before?

Klondike145

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was looking online and I wasn't aware there was one in Pittsburgh and wanted to look into it. So I was just curious if anyone here had been there they could give me some info.

Also does anyone else from the Pitt area know of any other good MMA schools i the area?

What part of pittsburgh? Looking to train in MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo? I've got a few places I've done drop-ins at and know a few guys who run some BJJ places.

I've not been there yet, but I might try doing a drop in class some time!

I am 100% certain that Frodo has been there.

Throw a rock in that area of the country and chances are Frodo has trained wherever it lands =p

What part of pittsburgh? Looking to train in MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo? I've got a few places I've done drop-ins at and know a few guys who run some BJJ places.

I've not been there yet, but I might try doing a drop in class some time!

I live up in the North Hills of Pittsburgh these days, but anywhere in the Pittsburgh area that isn't too far is fine. I'd like to do a type of MMA class, but there's only like 1 or 2 of those to my knowledge and one I believe had gotten some recent flood damage.

I've been there! They have a good school run by a great black belt named Warren Stout. He was a good wrestler in college too, and he incorporates takedowns into his program. Warren has also fought a few times. They have class Mon-Sat evening. They have a locker room, showers, bathroom, and a main room with Dollamur mats. They have grown rather large lately, since they have a good location and great instruction. They have just BJJ instruction; although, a few guys do fight from there.

I should state that I also help to run a gym in the area called Balance Pittsburgh. I just moved to Philly to train for 4 months (I'll be back)! However, I handed over the instruction to another great black belt named Jacob Young. You can check out our background, facility, & schedule on our web site.

Both Warren's school and our school run classes about the same way. Both are great places to train, and neither of us feel bad if you pick the other place, or another one all-together. It's all about the community.

I've been there! They have a good school run by a great black belt named Warren Stout. He was a good wrestler in college too, and he incorporates takedowns into his program. Warren has also fought a few times. They have class Mon-Sat evening. They have a locker room, showers, bathroom, and a main room with Dollamur mats. They have grown rather large lately, since they have a good location and great instruction. They have just BJJ instruction; although, a few guys do fight from there.

I should state that I also help to run a gym in the area called Balance Pittsburgh. I just moved to Philly to train for 4 months (I'll be back)! However, I handed over the instruction to another great black belt named Jacob Young. You can check out our background, facility, & schedule on our web site.

Both Warren's school and our school run classes about the same way. Both are great places to train, and neither of us feel bad if you pick the other place, or another one all-together. It's all about the community.

Yeah, Team Balance was one of the other facilities I was looking at, actually It was ones of the first one I looked at months ago.

I was looking at it earlier this week, you guys just moved to that Akido/Judo place didn't you?

Also I've been kinda wondering, the Renzo Academy is a pretty nice facility so Im assuming it's pretty pricey no lol? How are the rates compared between them and your Team Balance?

I have never been to the academy, but Warren Stout is a great guy, one of my best friends in the jiujitsu world. In addition to being a Renzo black belt he was also a D1 wrestler. He's a bright, thoughtful guy who loves to teach, so I definitely recommend giving it a try.

first things first, hey jimmy! (it's Josh)

Since you're in the north hills jumping across to the wexford area wouldnt be too bad for you for Jiu-Jitsu Rodrigo Junqueira - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy - Welcome They're in wexford.

Where I train has a BJJ/MMA program but we'd be a drive for you www.1440mma.com

I'll be getting over to Jimmy's new place next time I'm on night shift.
There's Ryer Martial arts in the shadyside area.

Either way come out and train with us some time if you have a free evening or sunday afternoon. I'd be glad to do the same if wherever you end up allows drop-in visitors!

Watch out for Big Ben. Guy's a predator.

... 8 year olds dude....

As a sidenote we should totally get a sherdog grappling session together when Jimmy is back in town, there's enough pgh grapplers on sherdog to have a decent class/open mat/something.

As a sidenote we should totally get a sherdog grappling session together when Jimmy is back in town, there's enough pgh grapplers on sherdog to have a decent class/open mat/something.

I am very much down with this idea although it'll have to wait until January when he gets back.

Jimmy, thank you for the good review! Hope you get back on the mats and healthy soon. Renzo Gracie Pittsburgh Jiu Jitsu is on the north side of the city (5104 butler st. pittsburgh pa 15201). We always like to have visitors from out of town and don't charge if anyone is visiting and want to stop by for a class or training. One of my favorite things about bjj is that when I travel there is usually somewhere to train and a community of local friends. Also, we have an open invitation to anyone in the Pittsburgh area to join us during any "open mat" times. Google us or look us up on facebook and stop by. If anyone is looking for MMA training please contact me ( renzograciepittsburgh.com) . We also have a group that does some boxing sparring friday evenings and a few active MMA fighters that workout regularly.

I'll second Jimmy's recommendation. Training is good at RGA Pittsburgh, and Warren is a cool guy. (Warren, it's Jeff N)

Back