Has anyone gained respect for Conor.....

My respect for him as a fearless champion (rather than the overprotected prospect he temporarily was) has skyrocketed the past year. Huge props on that level. I'm nearly speechless that he actually went for the LW belt right away, and appreciate that he regularily accepts short-notice opponent changes in big fights (even though he's kind of committed to it simply by the size of his fights, and the distance a lot of his fans travel to see them).

My appreciation for his act or persona however, is at a steady low, and hasn't really changed much since I first heard him speak. I love his fights, but he really kills my enthusiasm when it comes to the peripherals of MMA-fandom, including online discussion. There's still a lot of good people on both sides of the discussion, but he's able to get a dissapointingly large percentage of the online community frothing at the mouth at anything related to him, fans and detractors alike.

Why or how? For not getting injured?

He's already turned down the replacement fight that makes the most sense after Dana promoted the idea he would fight anyone. I'm suppose to "gain respect" from that?

He already has my respect, but turning down Khabib certainly didn't gain him any. I actually don't blame him for turning it down. Just don't blow smoke up my ass....

Can you post a source that Conor turned that fight down? Besides that I am pretty sure most people
prefer the Diaz fight. Especially now with 170 catchweight Diaz will be bigger with a longer reach and good boxing. Thats an opponent we`ve never seen against Conor and contrary to Kabib he fought recently and defeated a top fighter. Also Kabib himself postphoned his fight with Ferguson to April because he would not be ready in march. How does that fit with his ability to fight McGregor? Its a publicity stunt imo.

After a 2 year hiatus Kabib is hard to market to the mass. He should again build up his reputation and show that he can fight consistent without getting injured. He is a top fighter but I would be lying if I told that his fighting style is exciting. Maybe he also worked on that in his absence.

Wish him the best but as I said he should have 2 tune up fights to show he is back before
going into high profile fights like McGregor or title contention.

Why or how? For not getting injured?

He's already turned down the replacement fight that makes the most sense after Dana promoted the idea he would fight anyone. I'm suppose to "gain respect" from that?

He already has my respect, but turning down Khabib certainly didn't gain him any. I actually don't blame him for turning it down. Just don't blow smoke up my ass....

Even Dominick Cruz had to have a return fight against Mizugaki, and he dominated his division as its champion for a long time.
Yet you expect Khabib, who himself had his fight against Ferguson on March 5th postponed to April, to get the fight ... I'm thinking no.

Already had hespect for him.

Title holder wanting to move UP to challenge.

That's some BJ level balls right there.
Both guys are lightweight, there just going to fight at theie walking around weight.

I was with you until the last line. Injuries happen when training MMA.

After all this? Im not gonna lie, i always thought conor was a brash and disrespectable guy, that luck has definitely been on his side, but i gotta admit, the guy has balls, and an iron will.

He coulda backed out after aldo did last year, but stayed. He coulda backed out again...but stayed to save the card....i cant help but respect that. So many people would and have pulled in similar situations, but this guy is willing to go through with it.

I think its more that i have never been a fan of conors fans than him, but this definitely scores him points in my books. Kings MMA on the other hand loses major points. First Werdum feigning injury, now this shit.
hating on kings mma and praising mcgregor for fighting a tailor made opponent for him (some respect, yeah)?

get lost

yep.
obviously respected his skills and crazy predictions before this.. but him taking the diaz fight has zero benefit for him and the whole world to lose...

it goes to show hes all about fighting and doesnt back down from any1..

I dont blame him for not fighting Khabib,thats a whole different kind of training camp hed need for that guy..plus if he beat him,people would just say oh well he hasnt fought in 2 years. Low risk low reward.

Put me in the camp of someone who respects the hell out of him but I'm not a fan. He could back out but never does. Now I think he will kill Diaz and I really wanted to see the RDA match up. I wish the replacement was someone higher up in the rankings but I realize choices are slim. Now when he beats Diaz fanboys will be shouting he is the greatest ever nonsense.

After all this? Im not gonna lie, i always thought conor was a brash and disrespectable guy, that luck has definitely been on his side, but i gotta admit, the guy has balls, and an iron will.

He coulda backed out after aldo did last year, but stayed. He coulda backed out again...but stayed to save the card....i cant help but respect that. So many people would and have pulled in similar situations, but this guy is willing to go through with it.

I think its more that i have never been a fan of conors fans than him, but this definitely scores him points in my books. Kings MMA on the other hand loses major points. First Werdum feigning injury, now this shit.

all this is true and normaly would/should earn respect BUT a guy this disrespectful to everyone won't ever have my respect

He is kind of responsible for this situation. He should ve been defending his belt in the first place. Because of his greed, we lost both FW and LW title fights. I certainly aint gonna respect that.

Nah people put too much weight on his fans troll comments and him not being Hollywood levels of respectful to an opponent he's going to try and render unconscious to give him any credit.

That's a big reason I like him, for his fight mentality though.

Complete respect for the guy's balls and cleverness here. And I wanted / expected RDA to win.

Love him or hate him you can't deny that Conor is a fighter. When he says anyone, anywhere he actually means it unlike so many others.

I respect his weight cutting skills. Here's a man getting ready to cut weight to fight @170 while holding onto the 145 pound belt.

Its just a shame that the IV ban and enhanced USADA testing drove him out of his "natural" weight class. We'll never see weight cutting skills like that ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back