Has anyone ever tried cutting gi pants into shorts for no-gi?

JRal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever tried cutting a pair of gi pants and turning them into shorts for no-gi. I am not sure if they would look ok, or completely ridiculous.

Gi pants are just so darn comfortable, and I am having a difficult time finding no-gi shorts I love the fit of.

That was my old coach's main attire for no-gi. Won a couple of GQ pro-matches and mma fights wearing them.

In the pre-Sprawl days it was pretty much gym shorts or actual board shorts, gi shorts were a nice alternative. Make sure to make them long enough as it is easy to cut too short. No one wants to grapple with someone wearing thai shorts.

Thanks guys. I'll have to look up the info on Royce.

I mentioned in my original post that it is hard to find a good fit for grappling shorts, and that is why I was asking. Unfortunately, companies who make women's shorts stop at size 10-12. Mens shorts are just not cut for a woman.

I have, in the past, just worn gi pants, but they do slightly restrict your movement.

Thanks guys. I'll have to look up the info on Royce.

I mentioned in my original post that it is hard to find a good fit for grappling shorts, and that is why I was asking. Unfortunately, companies who make women's shorts stop at size 10-12. Mens shorts are just not cut for a woman.

I have, in the past, just worn gi pants, but they do slightly restrict your movement.
Just cut and hem, no biggie.

you used to be able to buy them from old school brands like vitamins and minerals.... just shorts with the gi material.

Why not the choice of champions? Vale tudo shorts, that is!

Back