Opinion Has anyone ever switched from right to left?

I’m obviously ignoring the idiots on the extreme ends of each spectrum, there is no conversation to be had with some outright racist on the right or some leftist idiot who’s willing to ignore biology or promote Marxism.

To me someone slightly right of center is pretty much a classical liberal at this point, nothing to do with being a racist, just someone who rejects the woke insanity and still believes in freedom of speech, and that individuals should be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin and what tribe they belong to.

I got where you were coming from, I was just wondering because to me I can see a problem it being problematic for non whites who are on the right, considering how the far right is considered racist towards non whites.

Lol at trying to convince minorities to vote left and be used as pawns.

How many tiki torches were there again? That's right, barely any.

I don't think they need much convincing.

Look at who Trump brought out to court the black voters. That's the best Trump can do to reach out to the black community.

"what have you got to lose" said Trump to black voters.

I grew up in a Southern Catholic conservative home. I held those views while I was a teenager, even though I stopped going to church at 11 and declared myself an atheist at 13. I was still conservative. Held some pretty far right views. I was openly racist, hated welfare and government handouts (and later found out much of my family was on public assistance of some sort lmao), was against gay marriage (and hated gay people; turned out the cliche was right in my case; the one about homophobes being in the closet), and even attended some anti-choice events.

As I got a little older and made new friends, including black kids and gay kids, I started to falter a bit on those views. I went to a few GSA (Gay/Straight Allience) meetings in high school. Eventually joined the club outright. Even quit wrestling after an injury, for good, to be able to attend the meetings more regularly.

And by exposing myself to people that were different than me, I realized a lot of shit I believed was straight up bullshit. We SHOULD help the poor. We should allow gay people to marry one another. We should allow women to have control over their bodies. The final nail in the coffin was when I saw Obama speak at the Verizon Amphitheater when I was 17. I was enamored, even if I denounce much what he did in hindsight. I was only 17 but registered to vote (my 18th birthday was before the election) and voted Obama. I didn't vote for him the second time around, but I was absolutely stunned seeing him speak live.

Not, I still hold some opinions that people consider "right wing", like fully supporting the 1st and 2nd amendment. Neither of those things should be considered "right wing" at all, but they happen to be at the moment, and that's okay. The label doesn't scare me away from what I believe.

I don't believe trans people should be competing in sports contrary to their biological sex. So I'm apparently transphobic. Equal rights for trans people should mean equal spaces (restrooms, shower facilities, etc), but not same spaces.

I don't believe that children should be brought to PRIDE parades when there are people clearly advertising their kinks and wearing outfits only fit for mature websites. I don't believe that we should encourage 11 year old drag queens and they certainly shouldn't be getting money thrown at them by pedophiles.

I'm against hormone therapy and puberty blockers in children. It's fucking barbaric.

I'm sure I could find more things in common with the right wing, but I won't keep dragging on.

Blanket statement no. 3221
When you get older & more successful, you tend to lean right because you'd want lower taxes. When you get older & you suck at life, you tend to lean left because you want handouts & also to impress college chicks of your wokeness because god knows no one wants to bang you.

This is nonsensical parody fodder. I may suck at life but I have NEVER as much as applied for government handouts. I don't give a shit about being woke or impressing anyone.

And I bang a fine amount for a man of my standing.

I was left in college during the Bush Jr first term, then took a hard swing right after my first year in the real world. Then swung left again. Now I’ve drifted to the middle and am a registered independent.

POC only safe spaces, racial quotas etc

The leftist ideology says white people aren't supposed to speak, only listen and do the biding of POCs.

There's victim Olympics. Black people are all victims and the crime they commit is due to white racism. Leftism believes that black people should be treated differently. They should be allowed to do what they want and say what they want. They can show up late, be disruptive in class etc and we're supposed to coddle them and accept this behavior.

I could on and on.

You must be living under a rock... or just pretending to be clueless.

You support the left, thus you inadvertently support what they are pushing.

Lol at trying to convince minorities to vote left and be used as pawns.

How many tiki torches were there again? That's right, barely any.

you're killing it in this thread. great work

I’m sure there are plenty on both sides of it. Both parties are complete clusterfucks these days tho so it’s hard to pull for either. The left is leading the league in insanity right now however.
My handle on Yahoo when I post is "Both Parties are Useless" lol

But I actually went from being a "conservative" to more or less a libertarian or moderate so to speak a few years after I got into politics. Mostly because at first I didn't realize how annoying the evangelical and socially backward part of the Republican party was.

I quickly realized that regardless of how you feel about economic policy, going out of your way to restrict people's civil liberties and personal freedoms through legislation is archaic and wrong. Not to mention the Republican Party, who always seems to champion itself and the small, fiscal conservative party, sure as fuck has been the complete opposite for a long time. My favorite "conservative" president of my lifetime is Bill Clinton. Think about that for a second.

I’m still conservative but in the US the republicans are abysmal. I could never vote for someone like George W or Trump.

So I hold my nose and vote libertarian.
Amash 2020

POC only safe spaces, racial quotas etc

The leftist ideology says white people aren't supposed to speak, only listen and do the biding of POCs.

There's victim Olympics. Black people are all victims and the crime they commit is due to white racism. Leftism believes that black people should be treated differently. They should be allowed to do what they want and say what they want. They can show up late, be disruptive in class etc and we're supposed to coddle them and accept this behavior.

I could go on and on.

You must be living under a rock... or just pretending to be clueless.

Covington kid being racist for smiling

Asians not being true "people of color"

Asians "benefiting from white privilege."

the shit that went down in Evergreen College (a day without whites)

the shit that went down in Oberlin college. (shutting down Bakery, accusing them of being racist)

shutting down any dissenting opinion on college campuses that are remotely conservative.

seriously...I fu*king hate it when leftist C*nts try and pretend that none of this happening.

Kasich is reasonable I think. Bill Weld, if he counts. Charley Baker (Governor of MA).

I’m certainly not the most informed poster, though. Thank you for the praise. I’m blushing over here.

Yes, Mr. Weld. In an informed, intelligent world, Weld would be destroying Trump in the primaries.

But that's not the world we live in.

I got where you were coming from, I was just wondering because to me I can see a problem it being problematic for non whites who are on the right, considering how the far right is considered racist towards non whites.
As opposed to the far left constant rhetoric of "fuck white people"? It would seem to me the far left and the far right are equally racist.

Let's rewind and focus on this question:

Why do you like being used by the Dems for votes?

Also do you think only white people should be disarmed or should minorities be disarmed as well?

Remember when Trump forgot who David Duke was because he wanted the votes/support from the white nationalists?

Remember when Trump said "good people on both sides" comparing neo nazis to those protesting them?

As I said, minorities don't need any excuses to vote for the dems. The right wing of America has made it clear what they think of minorities.

Just look at who are the biggest and most vocal names on the conservative right. All of them speak badly about minorities. They hate immigrants, hate black people, hate muslims, hate gays etc etc.

And you wonder why minorities suppport the dems?

And act like it's some conspiracy from the left to get minority votes?

You're basically playing the victim here because the right wing don't like minorities and when said minorities look for support elsewhere you cry foul. LOL!

I'm done.

As opposed to the far left constant rhetoric of "fuck white people"? It would seem to me the far left and the far right are equally racist.

the far left are more racist...and frankly, their form of racism is more insidious because they cloak it in morality and virtue.

I left the left but did not embrace the right or independents. All sides of the same con.

It's got you by the balls!

I didn't know who David Duke was, until leftists said his name.

Unite the right was a protest against tearing down statues. There were good people on both sides.

The right wing hasn't made it clear, you just want to continue to believe in your fucked up narrative. There's plenty of minorities on the right that support freedom and don't feel racially oppressed. You're seriously fear mongering at this point.

Who are these people on the far right saying such bad things? How many of them are there?

They support the Dems because they're naïve and believe in lies perpetrated by the media. You're being used for votes and not even acknowledging that shows how far gone you are.

The Dems are out in the open about demographics change. Biden said it was a good thing.

Immigrant votes is the source of Liberal strength. It's their strength, not ours (that means minorities too).

Remember when Rush Limbaugh played the song "barack the magic Negro" on his radio show?

Yes, Mr. Weld. In an informed, intelligent world, Weld would be destroying Trump in the primaries.

But that's not the world we live in.

He would be way better than Trump, but he has a lot of crankish views, too. He said he wanted to immediately balance the federal budget in 2016, which would have thrown us back into a major recession (if it were even possible--which, no). And he wanted to do it while cutting taxes (?). He wants to get rid of the Department of Education. He's much smarter and more honest than most Republicans but he has some big holes, still.

Blanket statement no. 3221
When you get older & more successful, you tend to lean right because you'd want lower taxes. When you get older & you suck at life, you tend to lean left because you want handouts & also to impress college chicks of your wokeness because god knows no one wants to bang you.

I don't think there's much truth to that.

I found as I got older and more successful and had to deal with less, I didnt want others to have to deal with the same garbage as I did.

I was never "dirt poor" growing up, but I did come from a blue collar single income family, definitely in the lower income side of toan. We never owned new cars, didn't fly anywhere for vacations, etc.

Now, we're not "crazy rich", but our household income is probably 4-5 times the average in Ontario / Canada and I find myself leaning even further Left than before.

A big factor was leaving a small town with 95% white people for one of the most multicultural cities in the world. Really helped me learn about how ignorant I was about other people and cultures.

Pretty tame compared to the songs being written about white people these days and that's just Rush Limbaugh.

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/31559-barack-the-magic-negro

"This song is racist. Just because you are pretending to be Al Sharpton doesn't turn your bigotry into witty satire."

It's funny, this article complains about racism but then says this:

"Their party is becoming smaller and smaller. They are old, white and Southern. A cohort that is becoming a smaller and smaller percentage of the U.S. "

As if that's a bad thing?

Make fun of "keeping it real" and everyone loses their minds!

Next you're going to tell me "but the KKK were democrats" LOL!!

Sort of I, haven't actually move much , still fiscally conservative and socially liberal , voted conservative in my 20s but the right stopped being fiscally responsible so there isn't anything there for me these days .

Up here in Canada the defunct Progressive Conservatives were a good fit for me but they went Neo con and dropped the progressive, figuratively and literally .

Back