1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion Has anyone ever switched from right to left?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Koro_11, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Koro_11 Gold Belt

Serious question, because personally I can’t think of a single person who used to be a conservative or even slightly right of center, but then thought better to become a leftie.

On the flip side I know a ton of people who used to be on the left but grew up and moved towards the right (myself included). Yes, back in my early 20’s I was one of those idiots who wore a Che Guevara t shirt and romanticized revolution against the evil capitalists. Then I grew up, travelled the world, bought a home, got married, became a father, and woke up to the realities of life.

I’m not sure who first said it but I once heard a saying that goes something like ”If You Are Not a Liberal When You Are Young, You Have No Heart, and If You Are Not a Conservative When Old, You Have No Brain”.

I’m 42 now and don’t know many people my age who are still leftists, and the ones who are tend to be people who I could only describe as individuals who could never really get it together. Mostly socially awkward types who don’t do well in relationships with others, or are not doing well financially mostly through faults of their own and are constantly blaming the system for their failures.

I have a cousin like that, dude was born in Canada, good looks, was popular in high school, fairly well off parents, grew up upper middle class, had every opportunity you can think of, and just never bothered to make an effort to have any discipline, and now he’s 45, always struggling to make ends meet and still blaming society for all his problems.

Meanwhile I was born and grew up in a communist nightmare, immigrated to Canada in my teens, didn’t know the language, didn’t even do well in school, but was still able to do very well for myself by my 30’s and realize just how good I have it to be in this land of opportunity.

Back to the topic, is there anyone on this forum who once considered themselves on the right, but now decided that left is the way to go, and be honest. (I imagine there are a bunch of you who went in the opposite direction)

2. 7437 Banned Banned

I did. Was registered republican and everything. Got to decide the sheriff in a county in Wyoming because they let me be on the path committee, and only 4 people showed up to decide who would be the R candidate after the old one retired. I voted for the guy with better hair, because they had similar backgrounds.

Dont think I'm still with them though, didnt say when I moved like 7 years ago.

3. cunglaowins Banned Banned

4. AGGAMEMNON66 ———Villain———

I’m sure there are plenty on both sides of it. Both parties are complete clusterfucks these days tho so it’s hard to pull for either. The left is leading the league in insanity right now however.

5. Ophydian Silver Belt

6. Mr Holmes You talking money, need a hearing aid

Elizabeth Warren??

7. nac386 Steel Belt

You wore Che shirts into your early 20s?

8. Fluffernutter Gold Belt

My cousin did. It really helped his puck control while playing hockey.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  9. VivaRevolution Banned Banned

Yes, me.

I used to believe that you fight terrorism by spreading democracy, and that laissez faire economics works.

Then Iraq and the GFC happened.

10. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

Imagine becoming an alt right conservative and telling people you were proud of that decision

11. AlexDB9 Banned Banned

I have a feeling the opposite has increased ten fold in the last 5 years

12. VivaRevolution Banned Banned

Also isn't the better question how many people have abandoned the left and the right to call themselves Independents.

13. SongXIII Red Belt Platinum Member

I switched my voter reg from (R) to (I)

Is that close enough?

edit:
    Solid timing..

14. Mr Holmes You talking money, need a hearing aid

<{jackyeah}>

15. floivanus Brown Belt

I switched from a southpaw stance to orthodox to put my power hand as my jab.

it was what sherdog thought Anderson Silva did, worked for me

16. Social Distance Warrior Banned Banned

more and more, as you grow you become "Red Pilled".

you learn that much of the ideology and lessons being taught to you had little basis in fact or reality.

17. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

Wow. Then you've lived a very sheltered life. I know many who fit this description. Particularly those raised Christian fundy. A lot of them really went off the rails in the opposite direction.

18. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

Blanket statement no. 3221
    When you get older & more successful, you tend to lean right because you'd want lower taxes. When you get older & you suck at life, you tend to lean left because you want handouts & also to impress college chicks of your wokeness because god knows no one wants to bang you.

19. Jesus H. Sherdog My likes died for your sins Platinum Member

I’m still conservative but in the US the republicans are abysmal. I could never vote for someone like George W or Trump.

So I hold my nose and vote libertarian.

20. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

To be fair, anyone is going to look nuts compared to the stable genius currently leading the GOP.

[​IMG]