Has Anyone Ever Bought Tires Online?

das omen

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Was looking at several sites that sell tires online and they offer free shipping to the nearest tire shop in the network for installation. Just wondering if this may be the most cost effective way to purchase tires. I was thinking of buying a complete set. Also curious on what the tire shops typically charge for installation and balancing.

Anyone? Somebody? Help?

I order my tires from Amazon and have them shipped to my work. If you are going to order from online tire vendors, you sometimes find a few of them offer buy 3, get 1 free + free shipping.

$50 to $60 for mounting and balance all 4 tires is a good deal. You will pay a little extra for swapping TPMS.

I've bought tires online from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, and Walmart before. All said and done, tires + installation was a bit cheaper than just going to a typical tire store. Installation prices can basically make any savings on your tires you bought online negligible depending on where you go. Walmart around here has one of the lowest installation prices in my area. I however have no idea if their install prices all over the country are the same or not.

Discount tire does a deal about twice a year where they'll take $100 off $400+ purchases via ebay. I think they normally run around the start of spring, then there's typically one somewhere around or near black friday or maybe Christmas(not that this helps if you need tires right now). Other places run specials as well, so I suggest doing a lot of shopping around once you've narrowed down what tires you want.

I've bought tires online from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, and Walmart before. All said and done, tires + installation was a bit cheaper than just going to a typical tire store. Installation prices can basically make any savings on your tires you bought online negligible depending on where you go. Walmart around here has one of the lowest installation prices in my area. I however have no idea if their install prices all over the country are the same or not.

Discount tire does a deal about twice a year where they'll take $100 off $400+ purchases via ebay. I think they normally run around the start of spring, then there's typically one somewhere around or near black friday or maybe Christmas(not that this helps if you need tires right now). Other places run specials as well, so I suggest doing a lot of shopping around once you've narrowed down what tires you want.

Have you seen the people that work at Walmart? There's no way in hell I'd let someone that works at Walmart touch my vehicle.

I've done Tire Rack before. They ship to installer locally so they get their cut of the sale. It's a partnership. You can get some good deals during sales or if coupons are available.

That said, if you have a Discount Tire anywhere near you, they'll price match and haggle with you on anything.

That's how tire retailers do it, online just gives the middle man pipeline, without the wholesale discount. But any tire discount shop will offer the same price and do the ordering for you.

The last time I had a puncture I went to get it sorted.

At the Tyre place they gave me a quote in person so I went online with my phone to their website while standing at the counter and it was much cheaper so I showed them the price on the phone and they matched it.

If you don't buy online (in the UK) you get ripped off.

No idea why you lot spell tyre as tire though fighters tire but I wouldn't want to put one on my wheels.

One of the places here offers a price match on tires, so i will give that a try as it’s close to where i work. Of course there may be a catch.

A lot of times the price of mounting and balancing tires will depend on rim size. Can expect as low as $30 for 14's and upwards of $80 for 20's. Large rims are a bitch to work with as are large off road tires.

So call the shop you'll be working with and be prepared with your tire/rim size.

Around where I live it’s just easier to buy in the store. I have to swap my summer and studded winters every year. Having 2 sets means they usually last ~5-7 years. If I were to buy online it would cost 60 bucks to mount and balance which is 120 a year, multiply by 7... you get the picture.

If I buy from the shop it’s free to swap, free rotations and balance, free road hazard, free checks, etc etc. It’s worth it for me. They’re not terribly expensive. The Toyos on my truck came out to just over a thousand, which is typical. If I still lived in Florida I’d probably buy online though.

Tire rack was awesome. Ship them to my house and put them on myself

For my daily driver, Costco. For my daily driver with better tires, Discount Tire. For certain tires, Summit Racing has free shipping and no tax.

Yeah, I’ve done it, had them delivered to a tyre place next door to where I trained at the time, they fitted them while I did a bjj session, couldn’t have been easier!

I order my tires from Amazon and have them shipped to my work. If you are going to order from online tire vendors, you sometimes find a few of them offer buy 3, get 1 free + free shipping.

$50 to $60 for mounting and balance all 4 tires is a good deal. You will pay a little extra for swapping TPMS.
I also just bought four tires off Amazon for $51 each. Got them installed at Walmart with lifetime rotate and balance for another $80. I've been pretty pleased with them so far.

Yeah, I’ve done it, had them delivered to a tyre place next door to where I trained at the time, they fitted them while I did a bjj session, couldn’t have been easier!
You should be banned for spelling it that way

Lol @ you “men” that get their tires installed! DIY! Grow a pair!

Back