Has anyone else become disillusioned with MMA lately?

I just don't care much about 205 and above even if DC is my favorite fighter.
I think below that the divisions are great and pretty consistent.

Lately? But I freely admit it is because I am an old douche.

Match making kind of sucks lately and it feels like the UFC has been slogging through the past 3 months. 245 was the only big card within the last 3 months or so.

My Interest might just be waning though.

Im just happy the main event was a real fight this time and not some fixed business stunt to make everyone involved a shitload of money and scam all of the fans.

Still watch it but it peaked in 2009.

Watered down cards filled with nobodies, joke judging, joke rankings, and joke matchups. Everyone gets a belt, no ones has to defend, reebok, USADAs a joke, pulsing, picograms, midget mens 145/135/125 divisions, skill-less wmma instagram ethots crammed down people's throats.

Fuck off.

Also, the fact that champs or name fighters like Stipe, DC, khabib, volk, cejudo, Conor, Ferguson, Diaz etc etc

Only fight like once every 9 months, or less frequently in some cases, is a major buzz kill.

Justin gaethje fought 5 months ago and he still doesn't even have a new fight booked. The JBG is crying.

Also, the fact that champs or name fighters like Stipe, DC, khabib, volk, cejudo, Conor, Ferguson, Diaz etc etc

Only fight like once every 9 months, or less frequently in some cases, is a major buzz kill.

Justin gaethje fought 5 months ago and he still doesn't have a new fight even booked. The JBG is crying.

Most of them are to lazy to cut weight but to afraid to go up in the division. lame as fuck

Tbh this is probably why I’m not upset with Jones getting the nod(even though I think he lost Rounds 1-3)... to me he represents the true golden era of MMA from a skill perspective.

He’s a pedigreed grappler who perfected his craft before transitioning to MMA and fell in love with every other aspect: BJJ, Striking, etc.

These “newbreed” fighters brought in by the UFC are all strikers with fan friendly styles who’s “grapplin” solely consist of a few takedown defense training camps and some seminars. They solely bank on not being taken down but once they hit the mat they have no substance on the ground.... guys like Reyes, Gus, Adesanya, etc are all textbook examples.
I’ve never rated Jon too highly until he beat DC, but I still see Jon for what he is - an extremely tactical fighter with a great team behind him that know how to game plan well. As far as his power and technique go, he’s not amazing. I honestly feel that last night didn’t go to plan for him. Soon as Reyes took those opening three rounds it was up to him to get the finish or he was looking at a loss. That’s how it should have went down.

I've been watching a long-ass time and I'm losing interest for many of the reasons you mention . I've always hated the 10pt, round by round scoring system for MMA but the cards themselves are simply boring me now.

The UFC really is having a hard time promoting new stars in the sport. The big names of the past are slowly disappearing and no one knows who these new fighters are. They may put up some great fights but the cards are beginning to be like boxing cards where no one gives a shit about anybody on it except for the top two fights. UFC 247 had fucking Juan Adams on the third fight from the top of the card for christ sake.

Im starting to feel the same way over the last year or two.....all the ridiculousness surrounding Jones is insanity, I dont like him as a fighter, even less as a person but I do recognize that he is one of the greatest to do it ...I just cant call him greatest because of his PED usage, the multiple pops, being let off of that, then the picos and now this ((which I realize is thru no fault of his)) but it makes the UFC really mickey mouse IMO

of course theres other things that have happened that have left a bad taste in my mouth as well ...and my boredom with the UFC stems from more than just Jones....just he has been at the center of alot of the crap thats come thru lately.

First of all let me start by saying that this thread is not solely about Jones vs Reyes as much as it is a grievance with the UFC org in general. And while I rooted for Jon I think Reyes won but it’s not a robbery by any means. You gotta go out there and compete every round and he gave the last two to Jones making the fight much closer than it should have.

As a fan of the sport I’m disappointed with the ineptitude of fight scoring by non MMA people and it’s a shame because it’s the fighters who pay for their ignorance. On the flip side I’m somewhat glad Jones won because we don’t know how much longer we’ll have him in the sport, he’s a true martial artist and in my opinion represents the true aspects of skill MMA.

That being said I feel like the UFC is having trouble developing new stars, outside of Adesanya (who might not pan out) they have nobody of the new breed who they can market. They’re also struggling to keep their cash cows afloat by any means (Jon and Conor). If you look at the last two PPVs It’s cause massively disproportionate cards and they’re filling the roster with amateur level bouts as fillers.

So overall the product seems watered down, the scoring is inept, the match making is absurd, and the fans are paying for it. It seems like MMA is going the boxing route by neglecting the fans due to politics, doing nothing about corrupt scoring, and making PPV cards solely about the main event with amateur bums filling the rest of the card.

/End rant

Any of you bro’s losing interest in MMA? If so what?
I'm losing interest because you only write in bold. TURN IT OFF!!!

But yeah, its a problem.

Cards nowadays are shit. UFC 246 had one good fight and that lasted 40 seconds. UFC 247 only had Jones v Reyes. Even UFC London which I was thinking of going to has ONE good fight.

Justin gaethje fought 5 months ago and he still doesn't even have a new fight booked. The JBG is crying.

watch Muay Thai = they fight 8-10 times a year vs elite competition

or Amateurs -> the avg. Amateur fights 25 times a year.

or Maybe Wilder … he fights 2-3 times a year lol.

Only thing that's really bothered me is how watered down the cards have become. It use to be bad but now it's even worse under ESPN. I look at PPV cards nowadays and am surprised when I see a co-main event that im interested in . truly sad and disappointing when you think back to how often the UFC used to stack their cards.

The co-main events of this year have largely been fights I wouldnt even expect to headline the prelims.

The highest levels of the UFC are just a circus now. Since mcg joined the UFC it’s ridiculous, and my enjoyment has steadily gone downhill as the BS factor has gone up. I’m barely hanging on and none of you should care. The UFC should but diehards mean nothing to the UFC. But, there it is.

Personally I am a little bit disconsolate about the lack of correct judging decisions. Judges should be better than last night, they should be qualified, certified, tested, trained, and be *watching the fight* (Rogan and Cruz said that they saw one judge earlier in the evening not even watching the Andrea Lee fight for some 30seconds at a time, that's *inexcusable*).

I just wish the judging was *much* better. Most decisions are ok, but some decisions are not explainable in any rational way, and whether it's incompetence or corruption it doesn't really matter. Both are terrible.

Only thing that's really bothered me is how watered down the cards have become. It use to be bad but now it's even worse under ESPN. I look at PPV cards nowadays and am surprised when I see a co-main event that im interested in . truly sad and disappointing when you think back to how often the UFC used to stack their cards.

agree with everything.

I’ll just add the obvious cards were stacked since they were trying to make it to the mainstream. Now they made it. Like a drug dealer selling that amazing product at first so you keep coming back. Then they really start cutting that shit!

It's morphing into WWE.

Fixed rankings, reffing, judging, matchmaking, drug testing, pushing whatever narrative they want.

Becoming a fighter in this day and age has more in common with becoming a pop star.

It's the new American Idol, with fighting on the side.
Exactly this.
I was trying to explain it to some casual buddies during the Conor/Cowboy fight.
It’s no longer a contest to see who the best fighter is anymore. Just who is the most popular.

TS this is a great opportunity to stop being a fan and cancel your account. I think it’s a healthy idea.

They keep making garbage cards with 1 good fight on the top to sell the whole thing. It's stupid. They need to make a minor league, have weekly cards with no big names and let the no-names on good streaks headline and build starts that way while once a month or so you have a legit STACKED PPV with top match ups and known names.

Oh and title shots that make sense with contenders on good winning streaks.

Back