Has anybody notice all the 10-8 rounds lately?

ElTorro**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the last 3 UFC events, I have notice an unusual amount of 10-8 Rounds.

Where those fights actually 10-8 rounds, or r mma judges beginning to use more 10-8 rounds like in boxing? What u guys think?

Yes. I had complained about not enough 10-8 rounds in the past but I was really surprised about some of the recent decisions. Shogun vs Gus had a 10-8 round? WTF? Colton was not dominating enough against Ricci to get a 10-8 round, etc.

Yes. But I've found them to be used incorrectly.

Be careful what one wishes for, I suppose.

It would be funny if it were just this one crazy judge tired of hearing about there not being any 10-8's.

i'm honestly glad there giving out more, imo it's silly that someone can land 12 to 10 strikes in one round, 15-14 in round 2, and then get out struck 11-28 and still be the victor because a 10-8 round can only be given if one of the fighters is almost finished... that's bullshit if you ask me

I think we are seeing an influx of other judges and some of them are quicker to give 10-8 rounds than the old skool judges.
The problem is that there is just too much inconsistency.

"There needs to be more 10-8 rounds! MMA judging is such bullshit!"

*There's more 10-8 rounds*

"GLARB, WTF with all the 10-8 rounds!?"

Finally somebody is judging correctly.

And of course he gets criticized because it's been done incorrectly for so long

In boxing if you get knocked down once it's an automatic 10-8 round. I think the biggest margin I ever saw was a 10-7 round that was Frankie vs. Maynard 1 first round. Although I would have scored it a 10-6 round because Edgar got knocked down over 4 times in that round. They should make if you knock a person down and almost finish him and you win the round it should be a 10-8 round and not a 10-9 round. There have been guys that try to make comeback they are down two rounds last round they go all out while the other guy plays it safe and they start knocking them around that should be 10-8.

In boxing if you get knocked down once it's an automatic 10-8 round. I think the biggest margin I ever saw was a 10-7 round that was Frankie vs. Maynard 1 first round. Although I would have scored it a 10-6 round because Edgar got knocked down over 4 times in that round. They should make if you knock a person down and almost finish him and you win the round it should be a 10-8 round and not a 10-9 round. There have been guys that try to make comeback they are down two rounds last round they go all out while the other guy plays it safe and they start knocking them around that should be 10-8.

just a little FYI:
There is no such thing as a 10-6 round. 10-7 is the biggest difference allowed
10-7 might as well not exist either because I have only seen 1 judge score 1 round 10-7, 1 time, and the judge was so screwed up, he got the fighters mixed up on his scorecard and scored it for the wrong fighter.

Just out of curiosity, anybody ever seen a 10-7 round scored?

just a little FYI:
10-7 might as well not exist either because I have only seen 1 judge score 1 round 10-7, 1 time, and the judge was so screwed up, he got the fighters mixed up on his scorecard and scored it for the wrong fighter.

I know for a fact 10-7 rounds are allowed.

This is wrong. Maynard-Edgar 1 was 30-27 on all 3 scorecards.

Oh, you meant Maynard-Edgar 2 (the title fight that ended in a draw)? Also wrong. 10-8 on all three cards.
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/291355/Official-scorecard-from-EdgarMaynard-bout

Yes. But I've found them to be used incorrectly.

Lot's of 10-9's have been used incorrectly as well. If judges are starting to use them more then I'm glad despite the learning curve.

Yeah, I'm glad they're giving more 10-8 rounds tbh but most of those 10-8 rounds on TUF were complete BS

just a little FYI:

I know for a fact 10-7 rounds are allowed.

10-6 rounds are not expressly mentioned in the Unified Rules of MMA, but 10-7 rounds are listed. Based on that, it seems that 10-6 rounds can not be legally awarded.

See Rule 14.J.iv:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations#14

Back