Has *anybody* figured out how to design headgear that actually significantly reduces concussions?

Cross_Trainer

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Since regular headgear apparently only does so much to reduce concussions (and some say it actually makes things worse), I started looking online to see whether *anyone* had created headgear that significantly reduces your chances of a concussion when struck.

And at this point, I'm on this search as much out of curiosity (and frustration....) as anything. It seems bizarre that there's nothing that can do the trick, despite all the money and technology in the martial arts industry.

I mean, I guess if you want the satirical answer, something absurd like the grizzly suit (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise) is up to the task. But that's only if you want to end up totally immobile. And bankrupt.

But short of that, it's surprising how little I've found. The "Redman" gear that's supposed to protect a wearer in one of those reality based self defense classes looked promising, but appears to be just regular headgear. (Even though it's supposedly designed to allow people to tee off on the wearer.) I don't know whether those giant pac-man looking "model mugging" helmets that are worn in similar classes are better at absorbing force, but they look like they'd make any kind of sparring impossible, because they're huge.

At this point I'd count even finding a clunky example -- impractical at the level of, say, a renbukai bogu and armor -- as a victory. There doesn't seem to be anything.

Is this just an insoluble engineering problem currently? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

A good sparring partner is your best bet.
Boxing isn't a sport for those looking to avoid CTE

Posting so that I can build up enough posts to post a thread... (sorry)

Back