Has any other fighter been so pressured to fight outside their weight class?

You missed the point entirely. Why would the UFC schedule fights in weight classes higher than the current heaviest weight classes their organisation?

Because they lack a relevant weight division and want to make a fight happen. 135 lbs is not a very heavy weight. They have a 115 lb divison and a 135 lb division. Is there some mystical quality to 125 that makes fights that occur there irrelevant? Like, any of those numbers along the weight scale are beneath the UFC's notice even though they care about the ones that bracket it? Don't try to act like the UFCs WMMA divisions are exhaustive when they effectively have a gaping 20 hole in it. lol

What would be the point?

To make the fight happen and to have people pay money to watch it an so that those people can enjoy it. You know, the usual.

There's no belt, no rankings, no other contenders, nothing. Stupid idea.

Except that the fight actually happens. You must not be into superfights.

It only makes sense if Ronda leaves the UFC and fights somewhere else less prestigious where they actually have a 145lb division. Seems like a big step down for Ronda.

Except fighting Cyborg is a big step up in terms of competition based on her resume and the resumes of Ronda's current opponents.

Cyborg could have fought Rousey several times now but she keeps running away/failing PED tests. Truth.

She's failed one. And you can't run away form a weight class you've never fought in. If you want to play that game, it was Ronda that dropped out of the 145 lb division as soon as they started talking title shot.

I always thought it was ridiculous that people gave GSP shit about not moving up to fight Anderson. GSP fought at WW his entire career, and isn't even a big guy in the division. Meanwhile, Anderson moved up to LHW 3 times and easily demolished all opposition. Huge size difference there.

Ronda/Cyborg fight is a bit different because Ronda doesn't really have any contenders left, she's fought at 145 before, and both Cyborg and R3 say they want to fight each other.

Gsp jones aldo etc.... See a pattern, haters will always hate.

Nick Diaz - he has balls. moved up to fight Anderson Silva

Nick had no intention of winning that fight, or of fighting for that matter. He came high as a kite to clown around and collect a paycheck.

Whenever a fighter starts dominating their division the talk starts of having them move up. Jones, Anderson and GSP have already been mentioned. There starting to be a buzz that Mighty Mouse should move up if he wins at 191. I think it's the fighters choice. If they comfortable with where they are then don't move up. Kick ass in your division and to hell with the rest. There will always be that pressure. I bet they are even hoping that Joanna bulks up to move up so she could fight Ronda.

Good question TS. Here's another good question: Has any UFC champion in the last ten years faced such weak competition?

Honestly I think it has more to do with people hating Ronda and hope she will lose.
There has never been any talks about Tate moving up or Cyborg moving up or fighting real competition, The only one that NEEDS to prove her self is Ronda.

this couldn't have been said any better. 100% agree.

I think it happens to all stars /champions in MMA.
It happened to GSP, AS, JBJ everybody claimed they were fighting cans and less than good competition and that they had to move up to prove them self.
Some how I think MMA fans are never really happy. If you are dominant you need to lose.
And if you lose you were exposed, never that good, pure hype, and on and on.

I agree that Ronda should face Cyborg and its a fight I want to see.
But I want the fight at 135 because it should be for the belt and it should be a fight that matter.

Perfect post.

Personally, I don't consider those guys "MMA fans" as much as irrational GSP-haters, Silva-haters, Jones-haters, and Rousey-haters, who are desperately hoping that the Champion that they hate would lose to the bigger guys.

Because they lack a relevant weight division and want to make a fight happen. 135 lbs is not a very heavy weight. They have a 115 lb divison and a 135 lb division. Is there some mystical quality to 125 that makes fights that occur there irrelevant?
A fight between 115 and 135 would be catch-weight. A fight above the heaviest weight-class is more like open-weight. Lets be honest, what would happen if Cyborg came in over-weight? She isn't exactly known for coming in on weight, 140 could easily turn into 148lbs. No belt on the line, there would have been huge marketing going into the fight, Ronda would be pressured into fighting regardless. At least at 135 we would know that Cyborg would have to come in on weight otherwise it's not a title fight.

Some people say that Cyborg can't come down to 135 but we all know that is horse meat, er horse shit. Yes she will have to lose muscle to come down, but it's not exactly unprecedented in MMA to do so. Ronda is the premier womans fighter, is on the pound for pound lists, gets all the media attention. If Cyborg doesn't want to come down then it hurts her legacy far more than Ronda's.

You must not be into superfights.
At 135 it's a superfight. I would definitely be into that. Anything else can't happen in the UFC. Apparently Cyborg has signed with the UFC for a second time and her contract states she must fight at 135lbs. Makes the whole open weight discussion moot.

the terms of her UFC contract stipulate that the Brazilian must first make the 135-pound bantamweight title weight limit and compete at that class in InvictaFC. If Justino does that, and presumably wins, she would then get to fight in the UFC
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/cris-cyborg-justino-is-signed-to-the-ufc-032615

She's failed one. And you can't run away form a weight class you've never fought in. If you want to play that game, it was Ronda that dropped out of the 145 lb division as soon as they started talking title shot.
Ronda was signed to fight Cyborg at 145 (as current 135 champ) and Cyborgs positive test for steroids killed the fight and the whole 145 division. Then Cyborg signed with the UFC and coincidentally right after they announced enhanced drug testing proceedures she asked to be released from her contract. It's clear who was running.

A fight between 115 and 135 would be catch-weight. A fight above the heaviest weight-class is more like open-weight.

If the UFC shelved it's LHW and HW divisions, that wouldn't make anything above 185 "open weight." A catch weight is a fight at a pre-determined weight, and, like any match with a weight limit, would be the opposite of "open weight." What are you on about?

Lets be honest, what would happen if Cyborg came in over-weight? She isn't exactly known for coming in on weight, 140 could easily turn into 148lbs. No belt on the line, there would have been huge marketing going into the fight, Ronda would be pressured into fighting regardless. At least at 135 we would know that Cyborg would have to come in on weight otherwise it's not a title fight.

And it wouldn't be a title fight in the first place if it was a catch weight. The issue doesn't disappear just because the title COULD be on the line. This is a red herring, though. We are talking about the principle of having a catch weight above the highest weight class.

Some people say that Cyborg can't come down to 135 but we all know that is horse meat, er horse shit. Yes she will have to lose muscle to come down, but it's not exactly unprecedented in MMA to do so. Ronda is the premier womans fighter, is on the pound for pound lists, gets all the media attention. If Cyborg doesn't want to come down then it hurts her legacy far more than Ronda's.

Not really.

At 135 it's a superfight.

No it isn't. It's just a 135 lb fight between Ronda and a shrunken down Cyborg who moved weight classes. A superfight is having the fighters from different divisions come into the arena with what they have at either the higher weight class so neither is actually diminished, or both sacrificing some to make it happen, not just one of them.

I would definitely be into that. Anything else can't happen in the UFC.

Nothing is stopping it but the insistence of the UFC and Ronda in preserving the status quo.

Apparently Cyborg has signed with the UFC for a second time and her contract states she must fight at 135lbs. Makes the whole open weight discussion moot.

Again, it's not "open weight."

I know about that and I've been bringing it to people's attention. In fact, I pretty much knew it before it was even announced since it was half-way leaked and was patently obvious. But at best, Cyborg is going to try to make 135 without becoming too diminished. If she can't do it, the fight won't happen at that weight, if it happens at all.

Ronda was signed to fight Cyborg at 145 (as current 135 champ) and Cyborgs positive test for steroids killed the fight and the whole 145 division. Then Cyborg signed with the UFC and coincidentally right after they announced enhanced drug testing proceedures she asked to be released from her contract. It's clear who was running.

Your time line is off. If they said something about "enhanced" drug testing around the time that Strikeforce was acquired, that was lip service. Actual enhanced drug testing is much more recent than 2011.

Cyborg didn't "sign" with the UFC and then ask to be released after some doping test announcement. You are spewing propaganda. Her contract was acquired through the buyout of Strikeforce in early 2011 along with Rousey's. They weren't continuing with her weight class and she didn't think she could move down safely and effectively so she got out.

Back