Has any other fighter been so pressured to fight outside their weight class?

Wasn't there a GSP fight where they had a camera on Anderson mid fight?? Like he was the number 1 contender lol

I think it happens to all stars /champions in MMA.
It happened to GSP, AS, JBJ everybody claimed they were fighting cans and less than good competition and that they had to move up to prove them self.
Some how I think MMA fans are never really happy. If you are dominant you need to lose.
And if you lose you were exposed, never that good, pure hype, and on and on.

I agree that Ronda should face Cyborg and its a fight I want to see.
But I want the fight at 135 because it should be for the belt and it should be a fight that matter.

While I generally agree with this, Ronda is in a unique position. Even during the whole Anderson vs GSP thing, they still had intriguing match ups. GSP had guys like Condit and Diaz and Shields, and Anderson had Chael and Vitor and Weidman.

Ronda really doesn't have anyone to fight.

While I generally agree with this, Ronda is in a unique position. Even during the whole Anderson vs GSP thing, they still had intriguing match ups. GSP had guys like Condit and Diaz and Shields, and Anderson had Chael and Vitor and Weidman.

Ronda really doesn't have anyone to fight.

I do agree. But its not Rondas fault that nobody is on her level.
If you took away Ronda the 135 would look much more interesting.

Again a Cyborg fight would be good but at 135 so Cyborg gets in the mix.
Win or lose there are some good match up for Cyborg at 135.

GSP was accused of ducking Silva all the time. There were also daily threads with posters claiming JBJ needed to move up. Jones was deemed too big for LHW so his wins were unfair.

Because UFC does not do catch weight fights with fighters that does not fight at a division in the UFC. SO this fight will not happen at a catch weight.

You are making up an arbitrary rule. They don't do may catch weights at all; that doesn't mean they don't have the power to. They also have a pretty full range of weights for the men's divisions, so it isn't really an issue. They have gaping holes in WMMA and their heaviest division is 135. Yes, I know it is in large part due to the shallowness of WMMA, but something has to give in situations like this. The biggest fight you can make includes a fighter that is at least five lbs too big for your heaviest (but not very heavy) weight class. Oh my, what ever are we to do? If only we could think of a solution... oh, I know, catch weight. Nothing is stopping it except the politics of the thing or Rousey/Dana/the UFC not wanting to risk their cash cow. I can understand those motivations, but the legalese you are attempting to paint it as impossible is way off the mark. In the fullness of time, if WMMA develops at all, they will eventually have a 145 lb division, anyway.

GSP was constantly called out for not moving up even though his whole career was at 170. That was bullshit.

And Goldie constantly harped on GSP's "size" and how big he was when he was average sized. It is disgraceful.

Anderson fought the #2 guy at LHW.

And Goldie constantly harped on GSP's "size" and how big he was when he was average sized. It is disgraceful.

Agreed. Even the UFC's statisticians started saying he was 5'11" when his whole career he had been 5'10". At some point I looked up the stats towards the end and the division had grown by something like 1 1/2" in height from when he started. He was below average size for the last couple of years.

That's your opinion. Either way that doesn't matter. Jones haters, which is me, want him to move down in weight to get smashed by Weidman or refight Gustafsson because both would win and both are evenly matched... One's smaller.

Thanks for telling me. Now I wont waste any time discussion with you since you hate a person you dont even know. Thats not really rational.
But hey keep doing your thing! :)

Yeah another Ronda thread. I remember GSP and Silva got some pressure, but it seemed like it was more of a "Man wouldn't it be great if these two number one guys from different weight classes fought?" kinda thing than a "They SHOULD fight and they're ducking if they don't" thing. SO many people are so outraged that Ronda won't fight the number one woman in a higher weightclass, and it seems like a total double standard to me. GSP never fought Anderson, Anderson never fought Jones; Penn was the only guy who ever did that, and he'd fight anyone. It just seems silly for so many people to be screaming so loud for something that virtually never even happens in the male weight classes. Just let fighters fight people their own weight like they're supposed to, man.

Seems to me there's more pressure on Cyborg to move down than on Ronda to move up. A lot of people seem to have bought into this "The champ doesn't chase anyone" argument. Physiologically, I imagine it would be much easier for Ronda to move up then Cyborg to move down (especially since she used to fight at that weight). And from a bragging rights perspective, if Ronda moved up, she could say, "I'm so great I even beat Cyborg in her own natural weight class." If Cyborg does move down, and gets easily dominated, she'll say, "Big whoop, you beat me in a weight class I should never have been in."

That has some to do with it too, but let's be real. Ronda is the only show in town, and Cyborg is the only thing remotely resembling competition that exists. No one gives a shit if Miesha moves up, because Miesha is just a footnote to the Ronda Rousey story.

If you want to be real then you need to face the fact that no one outside of sherdog has any clue who cyborg is. And if they do bother to look her up their first thought iss "ewwwww". Then they find out she juices. There is no interest in cyborg outside of sherdog. Ronda is pulling all kinds of interest from outside. Her full impact on mma won't be known for 10 - 15 years. She has nothing to gain by fighting cyborg. Her only risk in not fighting cyborg is having half of sherdog upset with her. I'm sure she won't lose sleep over that.

Just pipped me, I agree I think Cyborg is the one who is under the pressure here.

I gave GSP a lot of shit for ducking Silva. Silva vs Jones wasn't a classic debate like GSP vs Silva / Rhonda vs Cyborg

I call bullshit....when did you ever talk to GSP?

Actually, people are pressuring Cyborg to fight in a lower weight class...

Yeah another Ronda thread.
Read my mind.

I remember GSP and Silva got some pressure, but it seemed like it was more of a "Man wouldn't it be great if these two number one guys from different weight classes fought?" kinda thing than a "They SHOULD fight and they're ducking if they don't" thing.
That's EXACTLY how it was for GSP.
The same thing has happened with Jones too.
Do you only read Ronda threads?

a lot of people thought Silva should have moved up because they felt he was beating cans in MW

Back