Has any other fighter been so pressured to fight outside their weight class?

Forkfoot

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Yeah another Ronda thread. I remember GSP and Silva got some pressure, but it seemed like it was more of a "Man wouldn't it be great if these two number one guys from different weight classes fought?" kinda thing than a "They SHOULD fight and they're ducking if they don't" thing. SO many people are so outraged that Ronda won't fight the number one woman in a higher weightclass, and it seems like a total double standard to me. GSP never fought Anderson, Anderson never fought Jones; Penn was the only guy who ever did that, and he'd fight anyone. It just seems silly for so many people to be screaming so loud for something that virtually never even happens in the male weight classes. Just let fighters fight people their own weight like they're supposed to, man.

I think it has alot to do with the fact that WMMA is so thin.

Well, she sure seem to handle pressure well.

I hope she doesn't feel forced to do anything, i'd lie if i said i didn't want to see the Cyborg fight but Ronda's right.

People wanted to see Anderson Jones and GSP move up and fight.

Of the current crop DC has fought at HW.
People would like to see how Weidman would fair at LHW given that hes a pretty big MW.
Lawler used to fight at MW.
Everyone was calling for Jose to move up until Conor came along and I think there's some interest in seeing how MM would fair against TJ.

Most of the champs get pressured to fight above their weightclass when they're dominant in it

Jon Jones, though many will deny it flat out. Jones was subject to many double standards, though.

Yeah, I agree. But will add to it that a lot of Ronda fans are the same way with having Cyborg come down from her weight class to fight at 135. It's like people insisting that Jon Jones drop to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. Obviously, that would require a catch-weight bout or Anderson moving up.

Also, though, you shouldn't talk big if you aren't even willing to meet half way.

I think it has alot to do with the fact that WMMA is so thin.

Honestly I think it has more to do with people hating Ronda and hope she will lose.
There has never been any talks about Tate moving up or Cyborg moving up or fighting real competition, The only one that NEEDS to prove her self is Ronda.

I gave GSP a lot of shit for ducking Silva. Silva vs Jones wasn't a classic debate like GSP vs Silva / Rhonda vs Cyborg

Yeah, I agree. But will add to it that a lot of Ronda fans are the same way with having Cyborg come down from her weight class to fight at 135. It's like people insisting that Jon Jones drop to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. Obviously, that would require a catch-weight bout or Anderson moving up.

Also, though, you shouldn't talk big if you aren't even willing to meet half way.

Did Anderson or JBJ call each other out?
I dont recall them ever calling each other out.

Also a catch weight between AS and JBJ would have been doable since both fights in UFC and at weight classes that exist in UFC.
Cyborg not so much.

It's more like insisting Cain fight Bigfoot at 300+ lbs. SHW exists, but not in the UFC.

Just like 145lb exists in WMMA, but not in the UFC.

Honestly I think it has more to do with people hating Ronda and hope she will lose.
There has never been any talks about Tate moving up or Cyborg moving up or fighting real competition, The only one that NEEDS to prove her self is Ronda.

That has some to do with it too, but let's be real. Ronda is the only show in town, and Cyborg is the only thing remotely resembling competition that exists. No one gives a shit if Miesha moves up, because Miesha is just a footnote to the Ronda Rousey story.

That has some to do with it too, but let's be real. Ronda is the only show in town, and Cyborg is the only thing remotely resembling competition that exists. No one gives a shit if Miesha moves up, because Miesha is just a footnote to the Ronda Rousey story.

I think it happens to all stars /champions in MMA.
It happened to GSP, AS, JBJ everybody claimed they were fighting cans and less than good competition and that they had to move up to prove them self.
Some how I think MMA fans are never really happy. If you are dominant you need to lose.
And if you lose you were exposed, never that good, pure hype, and on and on.

I agree that Ronda should face Cyborg and its a fight I want to see.
But I want the fight at 135 because it should be for the belt and it should be a fight that matter.

Did Anderson or JBJ call each other out?
I dont recall them ever calling each other out.

Also a catch weight between AS and JBJ would have been doable since both fights in UFC and at weight classes that exist in UFC.
Cyborg not so much.

They decidedly did not want to fight each other, actually. But people wanted them to fight and that's what this is about: the expectations placed on the fighters by fans.

A catch weight is always doable. You don't need bracketing weight classes in the promotion for a catch weight. Why do you think you would?

Nick Diaz - he has balls. moved up to fight Anderson Silva

They decidedly did not want to fight each other, actually. But people wanted them to fight and that's what this is about: the expectations placed on the fighters by fans.

A catch weight is always doable. You don't need bracketing weight classes in the promotion for a catch weight. Why do you think you would?

Because UFC does not do catch weight fights with fighters that does not fight at a division in the UFC. SO this fight will not happen at a catch weight.

GSP was constantly called out for not moving up even though his whole career was at 170. That was bullshit.

Jones already fights out of his weight class hence bambi legs. Gus smashed Jones 9.5-10 times. Nobody wants Jones at heavyweight because the huggers like you are scared he gets ktfo!

No. If you can make the weight every time you are fighting in the right division, no matter what you think.

Nick Diaz - he has balls. moved up to fight Anderson Silva

I would say Fabio Madonaldo has big balls going up against a HW contender in Stipe.
Fighting Anderson coming of a long lay off from a broken leg in a fight that means nothing is not THAT huge.

It's more like insisting Cain fight Bigfoot at 300+ lbs. SHW exists, but not in the UFC.

Just like 145lb exists in WMMA, but not in the UFC.

Dude, 140 lbs is 5 lbs off of 135. It's not at all like insisting a guy give up 70-100 lbs. And you are deliberately picking HW because it is the broadest weight class with a not-too-heavy (former) champion. In point of fact, Cain fighting Bigfoot with the 265 lb limit is already more than Ronda is unwilling to do by giving up five lbs. Ronda cuts down to 135; she's big for the weight class as it exists now. Cain doesn't cut at all and even carries around some body fat while Bigfoot cuts a shit ton and is lean. Terrible analogy.

Back