Has any of the wall been built yet?

GuanoApes

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Trump’s been president for over 1.5 years so far and I haven’t heard anything about the wall being built.

Have you heard anything about the start of it yet?

Yes but not much. He needs more funding for it

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/04/has-the-border-wall-begun/

On March 23, Trump signed the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill (also known as the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018), though he said there “are a lot of things that I’m unhappy about in this bill.”

Although Trump had asked for $25 billion for wall construction, the bipartisan spending bill provides what Trump called only an “initial down payment” of $1.6 billion in funding. But even that sum comes with significant strings attached.

Here’s what that $1.6 billion is for (see Section 230, starting on page 673):

• $251 million for “secondary fencing” near San Diego.
  • $445 million for “primary pedestrian levee fencing” in the Rio Grande Valley.
  • $196 million for “primary pedestrian fencing” in the Rio Grande Valley.
  • $445 million for replacement of primary pedestrian fencing.
  • $38 million for border barrier planning and design.
  • $196 million for border security technology.
The bill further states that the money can only be used to build “operationally effective designs deployed as of the date of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, [May 5, 2017] such as currently deployed steel bollard designs, that prioritize agent safety.”

Readers may recall Trump on March 13 toured eight wall prototypes — which you can see here — that he had put out to bid early in his presidency. The language in the omnibus bill precludes funding for any of those designs.

In a March 30 briefing, Customs and Border Protection Acting Deputy Commissioner Ronald D. Vitiello said the spending bill will fund about 100 miles of “border wall system,” though he added that “does not fully fund our needs in the most critical locations.”

According to Vitiello, the construction near San Diego will include 14 miles of “new border wall,” replacing “old, dilapidated [Vietnam War-era helicopter] landing mats in favor of a steel bollard wall” and replacing 14 miles of secondary barriers.

In Calexico, California, the federal government will replace two miles of pedestrian barrier with “a new 30-foot border wall,” he said. In Santa Teresa, New Mexico, the government will build 20 miles of border wall, he said. According to the Washington Examiner, the new barriers in Santa Teresa will replace “three-foot-tall posts and a taller mesh fence.”

Vitiello said the government will build four miles of new border wall in El Paso, Texas, and 35 new gates along a 55-mile stretch of existing border wall in the Rio Grande Valley.

Finally, Vitiello said, the Department of Homeland Security will replace 47 miles of “dilapidated border fencing with new border wall system in various locations along the southwest border.” Also in the Rio Grande Valley, he said, it plans to build 25 miles of new levee wall in Hidalgo County, and eight miles of “new border wall system” in Starr County, Texas. All of that is made possible by funding in the 2018 spending bill, he said.

By our count, that comes to less than 40 miles of new barrier where there wasn’t any before.

Although most of the new barrier will replace old or ineffective fencing, Vitiello said, “I would say that it’s all new because there’s a different design going in. It’s replacing stuff that is unsuitable, the dilapidated wall, this old landing mat fence. It doesn’t serve our needs anymore.”

The president would ultimately like to have 1,000 miles of barrier, Vitiello said, and there is currently 654 miles of fencing. So the funding bill leaves the president well short of his goal.

On March 28, Trump tweeted photos from a briefing “on the start of our Southern Border WALL!”

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/979082457340407808

Great briefing this afternoon on the start of our Southern Border WALL!

2:47 PM - Mar 28, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The pictures show steel bollards, which look like a comb, and provide a barrier that border patrol agents can see through — a feature that Trump has repeatedly said over the last nine months is critical for enforcement purposes.

That raises the question, though: Is the barrier funded through the omnibus a wall or a fence? At one time, that distinction was important to Trump.

Wall or Fence?

It doesn't matter.

The wall doesn't exist on the Mexican border, or on the Northern border, or even in the most incoherent of political speeches.

The wall exists in one place. Fear of foreigners and brown people exists in one place. The need to scapegoat people and things you don't understand instead of taking the time to learn - exists in one place.

2-ways-3.jpg

In your heart. It exists in our hearts.

It doesn't matter.

The wall doesn't exist on the Mexican border, or on the Northern border, or even in the most incoherent of political speeches.

The wall exists in one place. Fear of foreigners and brown people exists in one place. The need to scapegoat people and things you don't understand instead of taking the time to learn - exists in one place.

2-ways-3.jpg

Posts like this have me convinced you’re a right wing troll

Americans with a brain should call and complain to their representatives that they want money for wall in US next budget thing. No money for wall = you wont vote for them.

l...By our count, that comes to less than 40 miles of new barrier where there wasn’t any before....

But he promised us a wall. It was one of his biggest promises, along with repealing Obamacare. I'd hate to think that he said something he didn't mean.

I'm starting to notice there's alot of people in the warroom arguing about American politics,

That are 1000's of miles away.

If it's not a discussion about some human rights crisis why do people feel the need to get involved when they have no skin in the game.

Chemical gas attacks = we all should say that's bad.

Brexit? Not really any of my business

Yes but not much. He needs more funding for it

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/04/has-the-border-wall-begun/

On March 23, Trump signed the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill (also known as the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018), though he said there “are a lot of things that I’m unhappy about in this bill.”

Although Trump had asked for $25 billion for wall construction, the bipartisan spending bill provides what Trump called only an “initial down payment” of $1.6 billion in funding. But even that sum comes with significant strings attached.

Here’s what that $1.6 billion is for (see Section 230, starting on page 673):

• $251 million for “secondary fencing” near San Diego.
  • $445 million for “primary pedestrian levee fencing” in the Rio Grande Valley.
  • $196 million for “primary pedestrian fencing” in the Rio Grande Valley.
  • $445 million for replacement of primary pedestrian fencing.
  • $38 million for border barrier planning and design.
  • $196 million for border security technology.
The bill further states that the money can only be used to build “operationally effective designs deployed as of the date of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, [May 5, 2017] such as currently deployed steel bollard designs, that prioritize agent safety.”

Readers may recall Trump on March 13 toured eight wall prototypes — which you can see here — that he had put out to bid early in his presidency. The language in the omnibus bill precludes funding for any of those designs.

In a March 30 briefing, Customs and Border Protection Acting Deputy Commissioner Ronald D. Vitiello said the spending bill will fund about 100 miles of “border wall system,” though he added that “does not fully fund our needs in the most critical locations.”

According to Vitiello, the construction near San Diego will include 14 miles of “new border wall,” replacing “old, dilapidated [Vietnam War-era helicopter] landing mats in favor of a steel bollard wall” and replacing 14 miles of secondary barriers.

In Calexico, California, the federal government will replace two miles of pedestrian barrier with “a new 30-foot border wall,” he said. In Santa Teresa, New Mexico, the government will build 20 miles of border wall, he said. According to the Washington Examiner, the new barriers in Santa Teresa will replace “three-foot-tall posts and a taller mesh fence.”

Vitiello said the government will build four miles of new border wall in El Paso, Texas, and 35 new gates along a 55-mile stretch of existing border wall in the Rio Grande Valley.

Finally, Vitiello said, the Department of Homeland Security will replace 47 miles of “dilapidated border fencing with new border wall system in various locations along the southwest border.” Also in the Rio Grande Valley, he said, it plans to build 25 miles of new levee wall in Hidalgo County, and eight miles of “new border wall system” in Starr County, Texas. All of that is made possible by funding in the 2018 spending bill, he said.

By our count, that comes to less than 40 miles of new barrier where there wasn’t any before.

Although most of the new barrier will replace old or ineffective fencing, Vitiello said, “I would say that it’s all new because there’s a different design going in. It’s replacing stuff that is unsuitable, the dilapidated wall, this old landing mat fence. It doesn’t serve our needs anymore.”

The president would ultimately like to have 1,000 miles of barrier, Vitiello said, and there is currently 654 miles of fencing. So the funding bill leaves the president well short of his goal.

On March 28, Trump tweeted photos from a briefing “on the start of our Southern Border WALL!”

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

Great briefing this afternoon on the start of our Southern Border WALL!

2:47 PM - Mar 28, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The pictures show steel bollards, which look like a comb, and provide a barrier that border patrol agents can see through — a feature that Trump has repeatedly said over the last nine months is critical for enforcement purposes.

That raises the question, though: Is the barrier funded through the omnibus a wall or a fence? At one time, that distinction was important to Trump.

Wall or Fence?
Some or most of that is a continuation of repairs and replacement of existing fencing, that was signed during the Obama term.

It doesn't matter.

2-ways-3.jpg

I love the fact that even if you live a long life till you are 90 years old. Your hope or dreams for the world and America will NEVER come true! In fact i pray your worst nightmares become reality for the USA and world. Yep that is RIGHT WING RELIGIOUS people in power!
I'm starting to notice there's alot of people in the warroom arguing about American politics,

That are 1000's of miles away.

If it's not a discussion about some human rights crisis why do people feel the need to get involved when they have no skin in the game.

Chemical gas attacks = we all should say that's bad.

Brexit? Not really any of my business

because you people only care about your own politics. I used to start other threads but you are all slaves to the 2 party crap. You only ever want to talk about Trump!
Some or most of that is a continuation of repairs and replacement of existing fencing, that was signed during the Obama term.

This thread is so predictable all people who hate trump will come in and mention ´´hahaha he not have funding for wall´´.

I just googled it Obama did not build fence. That was under bush

Americans with a brain should call and complain to their representatives that they want money for wall in US next budget thing. No money for wall = you wont vote for them.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

I was TOLD that Mexico was going to pay for the wall! What's this "call your representatives" stuff?!?!?

We need to know what the Peso amount in the wall fund is ASAP!!!!

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

I was TOLD that Mexico was going to pay for the wall! What's this "call your representatives" stuff?!?!?

We need to know what the Peso amount in the wall fund is ASAP!!!!

He said he would do it through positive trade deals. But i really do wish the US would militarily force mexico to pay for it. Lol you guys could do it if you wanted.

That wall would be up to keep us in. And that's it.

I love the fact that even if you live a long life till you are 90 years old. Your hope or dreams for the world and America will NEVER come true! In fact i pray your worst nightmares become reality for the USA and world. Yep that is RIGHT WING RELIGIOUS people in power!

I think the American dream is life liberty and the pursuit of Justice. We do quite well at achieving that. Add in a high quality of life, and decent to high prosperity and the vast majority of us are experiencing a wonderful American life.

What's your skin in the game? Why are you so invested in seeing our politics go one way or the other?

Because you people only care about your own politics. I used to start other threads but you are all slaves to the 2 party crap. You only ever want to talk about Trump!

Why do you care about international politics when they have no bearing on your life? If you were in some country possibly affected by one of our wars, sanctions, or 50 yr old shadow wars I would understand being opinionated on the matter.

This thread is so predictable all people who hate trump will come in and mention ´´hahaha he not have funding for wall´´.

I just googled it Obama did not build fence. That was under bush

You misunderstood his point that the money to repaiir the fence was earmarked during Obama's term.

That wall would be up to keep us in. And that's it.
This is the stuff I listened to Alex Jones for a decade+ ago. That and the railroads leading to concentration camps and spying, etc. Now he's just a right-wing shill, which is surprising as he always railed against both parties.

As for the wall, the only thing that's been built are sections approved by the previous administration I believe. Somehow Trumptards have convinced themselves it was Trump's doing.

Also lol@$1.3 Trillion budget that doesn't address our crumbling infrastructure and losing ground on science to communist shitholes like China.

The caveat to my posts here is when our internal policy cascades outwards and affects people on the world stage. I can understand why international sherdoggers would weigh in.

However if you live in Brazil and are posting about Democrats putting lead pipes in chicago schools you need to find better shit to do.

He said he would do it through positive trade deals. But i really do wish the US would militarily force mexico to pay for it. Lol you guys could do it if you wanted.

Invade a sovereign nation because of a wall?

I'm just surprised the notion of a wall as means of protecting the country from illegal immigration has peristed as long as it has. It's like an LSD fantasy that somehow outlasted the usual drug effect duration, very odd. It should be embarrassing to confess that at any point you thought/still think that a wall is a solution to the problem of illegal immigration in the same exact way it should be embarrassing to suggest that you believe tooth fairy is an actual thing, but it's still not. Why? How is it possible that people are this exceedingly fucking stupid? This naive? This completely incapable of critical thinking?

The entire wall has been built. All non-whites have been expelled. Now begins a glorious thousand year Trumpenreich.

The entire wall has been built. All non-whites have been expelled. Now begins a glorious thousand year Trumpenreich.

Can you imagine how different our view of history would be if the Chancellor of Weimar Germany was as stupid, incompetent, and comedically dishonest as Trump?

Like, with our super serious and (appropriately) grim view of the horror that was WWII, can you imagine how different it would be if such a hilarious and clownish figure were the centerpiece, instead of Hitler and Mous?

@Limbo Pete any historical constructivist insights on this alternate reality?

I think that, at the very least, Holocaust jokes would have become acceptable and not "too soon" about two decades earlier.

Back