Has any fighter ever lost a 10-7 or even 10-8 round and then won the fight by decision?

GrantB13

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Just thinking about the scoring and it's been stated before that the 10 point system doesn't seem to work for MMA's 3-5 rounds. Unless you completely besmirch your opponent the rest of the fight a 10-7 round is a guaranteed decision loss or at best a draw with a 10-8. So, what's the point? There's no way to come back from such a points disadvantage in such a short timeframe. At least in boxing you have 12 rounds to come back from.

I mean a 10-7 basically doesn't exist in MMA. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

10-8's are a bit more common, but yeah it's pretty much impossible to come back and win a decision after a 10-8. Both due to the score, and the fact that you're probably pretty beat up and demoralized after taking the beating. We've definitely seen some comeback finishes though after a fighter has been on the wrong side of a 10-8.

It seems a lot more common that a guy loses a 10-8 or 10-7 then comes back and gets finished in the next round. This actually happened twice to Hector Lombard in a row. He beat the living shit out of Magny and Henderson then got stopped the round after.

I didn't see the Lombard-Hendricks fight, but maybe it happened in that fight? Hector lost by decision but he seems to usually win the first round 10-8 before gassing. Maybe someone who saw the fight can chime in.

Fitch was down 20-18 against Penn won the 3rd 10-8...

...not really what TS has been asking for

Back