Has Anthony Pettis' take-down defense improved THAT much since the Clay Guida fight?

Unicorn Princes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[YT]ZTiAqKOLt70[/YT]

Because honestly if it hasn't, I don't see him being able to handle a fighter like Khabib at all. That was one of the most dominant wrestlefucks I think I've ever seen on a main card. Clay Guida actually made it look easy, and he's not even an elite wrestler.

Discuss.

He's using the Silva cage TDD now.

If the guy had Aldo's TDD, not a man at LW would have a prayer. As if they do anyways.

i'm pretty sure it has improved, but i think back then he was kind of gunshy BECAUSE of the takedown threat, and it seems like he has kind of addressed that and isnt as worried, or to put it the cliche way, worries more about implementing his game than stressing about the opponants takedowns

Well judging from his past performance it appears to have improved greatly.

He's been using the cage to defend like Silva did, but training with Askren has definitely improved it. He knows everyone is gonna look to take him down so obviously he's addressed it, worked on it. Not to mention he's sick off his back so he can strike without fear of a takedown.

He uses the cage now. He really is the next coming of Anderson Silva.

You're clueless.

It was hardly domination to get on top of a guy and just defend subs and strikes the majority of the fight. He arguably didn't even win the fight with that considered.

And Pettis' tdd didn't even really need to improve from then. He could have beaten Clay the next night via not having Mazzaggatti as ref, it not being in the small TUF cage, and most importantly it not being his octagon debut. He was over-exuberant in front of a new and bigger fan base, choosing to try and finish Guida with every strike, and then not get up instead hit a sub from the bottom no matter how long it took. That's not Pettis' M.O. at all. He fights smart, and gets up after while when given space, like he had repeatedly in that fight from his sub threat.

Not to mention he has 5 rounds in fights these days, not 3.

The people who still put stock in that Guida loss, against 7 wins vs. wrestlers in Zuffa, 5 who are notable; are morons. So are the people who want to extrapolate a few minutes of a feeling out process against Bendo and Melendez, to 25 against Khabib or opponents like that. They are desperately trying to confirm a bias they developed from their first impression being Pettis getting laid and prayed by Guida in his octagon debut. Instead of just admitting they were wrong, they are compounding it by being wrong again and again.

Edit: As far as using the cage now, I don't really buy that. He shut down both of Gil's and Bendo's td attempts in the middle of the cage his last two fights. He's getting stuck up against the cage for a brief period because his opponents know from the beginning if they give him space they're fucked, knee injuries, added size, nerves, feeling out his opponents, and factors like that. Both Duke and Askren requested he get off the cage between rounds in the Melendez fight.

It doesn't really matter. His groundwork is lethal too...

i'm pretty sure it has improved, but i think back then he was kind of gunshy BECAUSE of the takedown threat, and it seems like he has kind of addressed that and isnt as worried, or to put it the cliche way, worries more about implementing his game than stressing about the opponants takedowns

Exactly it wasn't just being taken down that was an issue it was the way it affected the rest of his game. Now he seems to not even care and just works against the cage where he's confident he can get back up from there.

I don't see how it could not improve with him working with Askren. He has already commented on that.

I'm sure it has improved. But unfortunately for him, it's not enough to stop a grappling prodigy like Khabib.

If DC uses the wall and maul strategy against Jones, don't be surprised if Khabib does the same thing to Pettis and grinds him into powder. Seems to be AKA's favorite tactic for their wrestling based fighters.

Askren in your gym trying to take you down all day does that.

I don't believe he did and I believe nurmagomedov will beat him! But his sub game is no joke I mean bendo and Melendez pressured him got the take down but got sub'd early and beautifully! But I don't think hell sub nurmagomedov but khabibs striking is a bit erratic coming in but never the less I will bet khabib when and if they fight I thin hell GNP him for 5 rnds

Exactly it wasn't just being taken down that was an issue it was the way it affected the rest of his game. Now he seems to not even care and just works against the cage where he's confident he can get back up from there.

When was he gun shy?

He wasn't gun shy against Guida. He was hyper-aggressive with his striking, which is what got him taken down.

He certainly wasn't gun shy during his last 4 fights, all early finishes.

He wasn't really gun shy against Roller and Bendo the 1st time, stuffing their td's in large part, and picking them apart in the striking.

The Stephens fight was largely a wrestling match and get me over to get out of the losing column. He didn't really have a chance to be gun shy much, and was he supposed to be highly committal to strikes considering Stephens' power? Pettis is a defensive conscious fighter.

Pettis has never fought as if he was overly conscious of getting taken down. His own size and power are the only significant differences from before. He pretty much just fights how he always has, only with a little more natural tdd due to the size increase and more counter boxing against onrushing opponents because he feels like he can hurt them now with his hands. That's another reason he's ending up against the cage. Start at kickboxing distance, but if you're going to get super aggressive, then he'll just take advantage to hit you on the way in with his hands.

Well judging from his past performance it appears to have improved greatly.

How? He hasn't faced any good wrestlers with great takedowns since then. He already beat Bendo before the Guida fight and Bendo isn't known for his takedowns anyway.

How? He hasn't faced any good wrestlers with great takedowns since then. He already beat Bendo before the Guida fight and Bendo isn't known for his takedowns anyway.

They both seem to be regarded as not good wrestlers now, because Pettis beat them.

Guida is the anomaly, and it not coincidentally came in Pettis' octagon debut, which is known to produce them due to the emotions surrounding that experience. http://www.cagepotato.com/joe-rogan-explains-those-infamous-ufc-debut-jitters-video/

We in all likelihood wouldn't even be having this conversation right now if Pettis faced anywhere near the standard opponent for an octagon debut. Not a good lw who was one of the biggest system gamers/enemy to actual fighters in the sport, and outside of that had beaten Thomson, RDA, Diaz, Gomi, and the like.

Back