Has a fighter ever been so far ahead and then so far behind?

HespectNutting

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
In such a small space of time? Cast your mind back to Ronda in her pomp and the word going around was "she's way ahead of the other girls because she was already an athlete" etc etc. And then you look at her now and it's like she didn't even belong in the cage with Holly and Nunez!!...

Has there been the male equivalent before? A male looking like he's way beyond the competition but then suddenly looking way out of his depth?

Anderson Silva's downfall was pretty epic

I would say Royce but it took a lot longer for him to get completely passed over.

Anderson Silva's downfall was pretty epic

The difference is he dominated for years and faced a number of styles. He lost two weird fights to Weidman when he was very old so I can't see how he was so far behind...it was simply a number of circumstances that lead to his star dimming.

Maybe Mark Kerr.

The-Smashing-Machine-The-Life-and-Times-of-Extreme-Fighter-Mark-Kerr-images-70962d8e-45c5-4565-8f0c-39474e8754e.jpg

tumblr_la11ogOhQr1qc30fq.jpg

Never looked the same after the Igor loss/no contest.

Last edited:
The difference is he dominated for years and faced a number of styles. He lost two weird fights to Weidman when he was very old so I can't see how he was so far behind...it was simply a number of circumstances that lead to his star dimming.
KTFO, life changing injury, busted for PEDs... it was really bad

In such a small space of time? Cast your mind back to Ronda in her pomp and the word going around was "she's way ahead of the other girls because she was already an athlete" etc etc. And then you look at her now and it's like she didn't even belong in the cage with Holly and Nunez!!...

Has there been the male equivalent before? A male looking like he's way beyond the competition but then suddenly looking way out of his depth?

Nope.

Good thread.

The thing is, she is so strong in ONE area, and so weak everywhere else.

But her weaknesses werent being exploited because she hadnt fought a single good striker, save maybe Zjngano, who fought as stupidly as anyone has ever fought in any match I have ever seen.

Basically, if Ronda can get the clinch easy enough, she is going to look really good. If she cant, she is going to get lit up by Holm, Nunes, Schevchenko, Randamie.... any tall, crisp striker with some footwork.

It's Mark Kerr and Royce.

Kerr seemed like a terrifying destructive force, powerful and fast enough to overwhelm and crush all opposition. But then suddenly, he's nowhere.

Royce is also a great example, from his dominance in the UFC to his strange fight with Takada, then the loss to Sakuraba (and that's before we've even thought about Matt Hughes.

To those that say Royce's journey from dominant to irrelevant was too slow for this thread, I'd argue that it's not that way at all, because events were no where neas as frequent back then.

Basically, if Ronda can get the clinch easy enough, she is going to look really good. If she cant, she is going to get lit up by Holm, Nunes, Schevchenko, Randamie.... any tall, crisp striker with some footwork.
Shevchenko would probably beat current Ronda, but she isn't "tall" at all... you might mean "fast".

only people with one trick poney like ronda, it's matter of time before everyone figured her out

Wanderlei, before and during Pride he was unstoppable. Certain circumstances :rolleyes:changed the impact of his style and time and lack of good nutrients made sure he was left behind.

The thing is, she is so strong in ONE area, and so weak everywhere else.

But her weaknesses werent being exploited because she hadnt fought a single good striker, save maybe Zjngano, who fought as stupidly as anyone has ever fought in any match I have ever seen.

Shevchenko is tiny and always clinches up, Ronda would beat her.

Back