Has a BJJ gym closed down ever?

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
With all these threads that pop up about where to open a BJJ gym, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a BJJ gym close down because of no business. It seems wherever / whenever they pop up, they survive in business. I have seen BJJ gyms that are even run by purple belts and they have still done well. Examples of gyms that closed down? .... anyone?

Too many examples to list.

BJJ gyms close down all the time. All the time. You just don't hear about them.

The fact that you don't hear about them is probably related to why they close down in the first place.

With all these threads that pop up about where to open a BJJ gym, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a BJJ gym close down because of no business. It seems wherever / whenever they pop up, they survive in business. I have seen BJJ gyms that are even run by purple belts and they have still done well. Examples of gyms that closed down? .... anyone?

One just closed in my area recently the owner was more of a fitness guy from what I saw and it seemed like he was pushing the cross fit thing way too much instead of BJJ

He represented it as MMA and Bjj but kept trying to add more and more across fit which is fine but the people who signed up were for bjj

But I would say any martial art studio is going to be riskier than a bar/restaurant

yeah, Diego Almeida from Nova Uniao opened a gym near I live in Westmisnter, CA in 2011. The gym lasted for a few months before they shut down. I don't know what happened though.

BJJ gyms are like any other business in that if they are not run right they will run out of cash and shut down. The first bjj place I started at and trained at for 3.5 years shut down due to lack of student growth (not much emphasis on marketing) and substantial overhead.

Tough business and lots of work. I hear then money is in the kids after school programs and extra stuff.

I've been part of 2 gyms that have shut down. kinda sucks because both teachers were cool, but didn't have the business know how to make them successful.

I would think that if a bjj gym survives the first year then chances are it will do well. Just like any other business, that first year is the toughest.

Lol. That's kind of a ridiculous question but I was a member of a gym that shut down.

Back