Harry Potter

The books are some of the best modern storytelling available and are great reads. The movies were always just kind of whatever to me, but the books are great. Sorta like Roald Dahl where it can be a kids book but at the same time that's selling it short.

I'm a fan of the books, not so much the movies. I feel like the only problem regarding the writing in the novels is the dialogue. The dialogue in the books always felt very childish to me, understandably, as most of the characters are kids, but I do prefer a book with some intelligent conversations going on, such as Dune, for example.
Though there's absolutely no reason to hate on Harry Potter, I can see how it's an unsatisfying read for many adults.

From a literary standpoint, they are good. They follow the "hero's journey" template (and there's that payoff at the end) and has a solid plot. The story itself is obviously very interesting as you said as well.

Let's be real, the story is ripped off from Ender's Game, and pretty blatantly at that. The dialogue is not fantastic and though it does start with a double homicide, even the latter books aren't all that mature. It also has characters with the Decision making skills of the fools in The Crucible.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed these books, but I read them as they came out(retread with every installment, so yes I've read SS seven times). She has an amazing world built in her head, and that cannot be taken way from her.

The Time Turner in Prisoner is my prime example of poor writing(and decision making on J.K's part).

Last year, J.K. Rowling and Warner Brothers filed a lawsuit against RDR books seeking to block the release of The Harry Potter Lexicon, the print version of a fan-created online encyclopedia helmed by school librarian Steve Vander Ark. While RDR has assembled a defense team including Stanford Law

Last edited:
It's not just Ender Game, it's the Hero's Journey, a mono-myth written by Joseph Campbell called the hero with a thousand faces. It outlines the most basic beats in fiction from myths and legends and how modern writers are using the same things today. LotR's, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Ender's Game, Wheel of Time... You can find the same similarities within all of them and follow their blueprint laid out by Joseph Campbell.

It's not just the hero's journey, as far as how those two directly compare, but yes, I allude to it in my last sentence in the post.

Actually, I'm pulling my ender's game out and a couple HP's. Flipping the. Hmm. There are similarities but it isn't as blatant as I remember from 2008 when JK sued that publisher and OSC posted that. Of course, he was being cheeky

I like the books better than the movies, but the movies are OK.

went to see the first movie... fell asleep
ok lets try one more time, went to see the second movie.... fell asleep again

shit, ok they got a cool director for the third movie, ok this is the last chance... went to see the third movie.... fell asleep again

HARRY POTTER SUCKS!!!!!
Lulz. Not during HP I don't think but I fall asleep in the cinema all the time, even with films I've loved. The worst is when you upgrade your ticket to the comfy leather armchairs.

Some of my favorite books of all time, movies are thoroughly entertaining as well.

He'll, even Tucker Max is a huge harry Potter fan.

Never read the books, never watched the movies. Don't think I plan to either.

Let's be real, the story is ripped off from Ender's Game, and pretty blatantly at that. The dialogue is not fantastic and though it does start with a double homicide, even the latter books aren't all that mature. It also has characters with the Decision making skills of the fools in The Crucible.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed these books, but I read them as they came out(retread with every installment, so yes I've read SS seven times). She has an amazing world built in her head, and that cannot be taken way from her.

The Time Turner in Prisoner is my prime example of poor writing(and decision making on J.K's part).

Not that Orson created the idea himself, but lol.

There's only so many plots. Having someone go from ordinary to extraordinary as they realize their powers didn't start with Ender's game (King Arthur?) and won't end with Harry Potter. Look at the 20 basic plots that you can probably fit nearly every story ever in there: http://www.tennscreen.com/plots.htm . Under that I'd guess "sacrifice" as the plot line.

And while the plot line is something that has been told a lot, the story itself was not and was entertaining.

Time travel is almost always going to have flaws. But it's a world of magic, I think we can suspend our disbelief.

I think Harry Potter got worse and worse each movie, and the novelty of the whole Harry Potter world wore off.

I liked part 1 and thought it was original and imaginative. Part 2 was okay, but not as good as part 1. Part 3 kind of sucked and the rest were boring, imo.

For the books, they will always be better than the movies. You only have a few hours to fit in a whole book, in a movie.

I think Harry Potter got worse and worse each movie, and the novelty of the whole Harry Potter world wore off.

I liked part 1 and thought it was original and imaginative. Part 2 was okay, but not as good as part 1. Part 3 kind of sucked and the rest were boring, imo.

For the books, they will always be better than the movies. You only have a few hours to fit in a whole book, in a movie.

pt3 is the best. maybe when you get closer to puberty you will like it

pt3 is the best. maybe when you get closer to puberty you will like it

I didn't like it. I liked 1 and 2 the best. However, I won't resort to calling you a name, or insulting you.

Did you read the books?

I disagree, though. The story and environment mature as Harry does. Even in the books, there wasn't much humor and lightheartedness as time went on. By the last book people were dying and it looked very bleak for Harry and his friends.

I started reading them as a kid, got to book 6 and never started the 7th.
Watched the movies to number 5.

Something must've just clicked and I lost interest.

Did you read the books?

I disagree, though. The story and environment mature as Harry does. Even in the books, there wasn't much humor and lightheartedness as time went on. By the last book people were dying and it looked very bleak for Harry and his friends.

Yeah, I read the books and liked them a lot better than the movies. I would definitely recommend reading the books first and then going back and watching the movies.

Yeah, I read the books and liked them a lot better than the movies. I would definitely recommend reading the books first and then going back and watching the movies.

I watched the movies as they came out and I think I first read the books right around the time the 5th book was released.

Either way you can enjoy the story. If you watch the movies first, you will read the books and appreciate them still.

i will say that i think you should read the books first though. part of the harry potter magic is the thirst to keep wanting to know what happens next. slow beginnings at times but once you get going, theres no stopping imo.

HP is awesome. The 4th book/movie is the best. The last movie (part 2 especially) was well done.

And of course,
sexy-emma-watson.jpg

When does that happen?! I'll just skip right to that one!

Back