Harry Potter

I'm actually in the middle of reading the books again for probably the 4th or 5th time. Movies are good, but the books are great. Wonderful storytelling. One of my favorite series.

Does anyone know what book Rowling was on when the first movie came out?

Just thinking of the phenomenon that occurs in today's age (that didn't happen to authors years ago) was the audience response to the movie - influencing your writing.

As in, what would the books be like, if movies weren't being made almost concurrently.

Say you're on the 4th book... 1st movie comes out - character X is really really popular, the most popular (hmmm, I'll write character X more into the story of my current book).

The same with a character that everyone hates... hmmm maybe I'll keep that person's appearance at a minimum for this 4th book. People don't seem to like them.

If that phenomenon wasn't happening, the books may well have been written a little differently (where those decisions wouldn't have been made).

Just an interesting thing authors experience (that wasn't happening years and years ago).

Tolkien was an Oxford educated author. His books are incredibly well written. It's not the content or theme of the book. I enjoy fantasy and even comic books, but the Harry Potter series is horribly written.

have you read all the books? because if not, you have no idea what you are talking about. while her verbage isn't that of an oxford scholar, her plot, thematic elements, and looping minute details throughout the books is impeccable. ive read them multiple times and i am constantly picking up things that are later referenced.

have you read all the books? because if not, you have no idea what you are talking about. while her verbage isn't that of an oxford scholar, her plot, thematic elements, and looping minute details throughout the books is impeccable. ive read them multiple times and i am constantly picking up things that are later referenced.

And just an incredibly creative mind she has.

Even the smallest of things, like the story of the 3 brothers (ghostly hallows story).

Incredibly charming story. That's like a mini-book right there.

Does anyone know what book Rowling was on when the first movie came out?

Just thinking of the phenomenon that occurs in today's age (that didn't happen to authors years ago) was the audience response to the movie - influencing your writing.

As in, what would the books be like, if movies weren't being made almost concurrently.

Say you're on the 4th book... 1st movie comes out - character X is really really popular, the most popular (hmmm, I'll write character X more into the story of my current book).

The same with a character that everyone hates... hmmm maybe I'll keep that person's appearance at a minimum for this 4th book. People don't seem to like them.

If that phenomenon wasn't happening, the books may well have been written a little differently (where those decisions wouldn't have been made).

Just an interesting thing authors experience (that wasn't happening years and years ago).

She was working on the 5th book when the first movie was released in theaters. Any good author has a good idea of what the ending is going to be, so I'm not sure how much the movies influenced her work.

She was working on the 5th book when the first movie was released in theaters. Any good author has a good idea of what the ending is going to be, so I'm not sure how much the movies influenced her work.

It may not have at all for sure. But, the opportunity is there, unlike in years ago past.

if i were to start reading a series which one should i go with first lotr, got, or harry potter?

i could have sworn that she was influenced to not kill both the weasley twinsand decided to only let one survive....

been a while but id have to look up the interview she had.

edit: nvm, she was planning to kill off ron in the end but opted not to

Last edited:
I agree.

Visit the Sci-Fantasy Book discussion thread for much better reading material.. The writing style of Harry Potter is meant for teenagers and the films are meant for teenagers as well.

Seriously, you're dismissing Harry Potter and recommending genre fiction? What kind of snob are you?

went to see the first movie... fell asleep
ok lets try one more time, went to see the second movie.... fell asleep again

shit, ok they got a cool director for the third movie, ok this is the last chance... went to see the third movie.... fell asleep again

HARRY POTTER SUCKS!!!!!

went to see the first movie... fell asleep
ok lets try one more time, went to see the second movie.... fell asleep again

shit, ok they got a cool director for the third movie, ok this is the last chance... went to see the third movie.... fell asleep again

HARRY POTTER SUCKS!!!!!

dude, you have narcolepsy

Loved the books, loved the movies. Was really pissed with how they changed the ending of the final movie though. The books ending was far more powerful.

Loved the books, loved the movies. Was really pissed with how they changed the ending of the final movie though. The books ending was far more powerful.

Oh shit, tells you how ignorant I am of the books.

I had no idea it was a different ending in the final book.

Can someone spoiler me the ending in the book in a line or two?

if i were to start reading a series which one should i go with first lotr, got, or harry potter?

haven't read GoT and couldn't get through all LOTR because it was too fucking boring with how ridiculously in depth he went and all the characters it had. harry is a pretty easy read, with a fantastic story, deep symbolism and great tie ins. easily the most entertaining of the 3 i would say.

Oh shit, tells you how ignorant I am of the books.

I had no idea it was a different ending in the final book.

Can someone spoiler me the ending in the book in a line or two?

cant remember the ending in the 7th movie but the ending in movie 6 pissed me off.

dumbledore froze harry from acting, harry didn't just stand there like a bitch. only when dumbledore died did harry come unfrozen.

haven't read GoT and couldn't get through all LOTR because it was too fucking boring with how ridiculously in depth he went and all the characters it had. harry is a pretty easy read, with a fantastic story, deep symbolism and great tie ins. easily the most entertaining of the 3 i would say.
damn ill have to check out harry potter

cant remember the ending in the 7th movie but the ending in movie 6 pissed me off.

dumbledore froze harry from acting, harry didn't just stand there like a bitch. only when dumbledore died did harry come unfrozen.

Interesting. Thanks.

I was an English Major. I read all the time, from a wide variety of genres. That's why I was so much against reading these. I just dismissed the whole series as simple children's books. I'm halfway through the second one and while not literary masterpieces, they are fun and entertaining and there's something to be said for that.
Like I said in the OP, much better than expected.

I was an English Major. I read all the time, from a wide variety of genres. That's why I was so much against reading these. I just dismissed the whole series as simple children's books. I'm halfway through the second one and while not literary masterpieces, they are fun and entertaining and there's something to be said for that.
Like I said in the OP, much better than expected.

From a literary standpoint, they are good. They follow the "hero's journey" template (and there's that payoff at the end) and has a solid plot. The story itself is obviously very interesting as you said as well.

Back