Harry Potter

D Train

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A friend of mine wore me down until I finally agreed to read a Harry Potter book. I've never even seen a movie or anything. I did see that skit on SNL where Lindsey Lohan played Hermionie and her boobs kept getting magically bigger. Anyway, I just finished the first book and I liked it far better than I expected to. I guess I'll read the whole series.
Am I the last person in the world to read these books?
Are the movies worth watching?

Yes you are the last person to read these books. The later movies leave some cool stuff out from the books. They're still fun to watch.

Not going to lie I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. Like you, I originally never touched the books or films until the 5th film. I watched them and read the first 4 books.

Never read them, or saw the movies. There's a guy with no nose maybe? At this point it's a stance I've held into so long I don't want to break down until it's long past popularity

My daughter was into the books, so I started reading them to get an idea of what to expect and to see if they were age appropriate. I enjoyed them so much, I started reading ahead and took her to every midnight release of the movies and had as much fun with them as she did. It sort of feels like the Star Wars of her generation.

Havn't read the books.

But I personally liked the movies better than the LoTR trilogy.

Never read the books, seen the movies they`re alright.
Like the Redheaded girl though much better looking then
hermoine (is that her name) IMO.

I was talked into reading the first book years ago. I was told it wasn't just a kids book and there was plenty in there for adults to enjoy. So I read it and it was ok, but it is a kids book.

Then I was talked into reading the second one. I was told that the books get much more mature. Once again it was a perfectly fine book, but it doesn't have the level of depth that I normally expect in my reading material.

I have seen all the movies and they are decent. But I have different standards about what I will spend 2 hours watching versus 10 hours reading.

I read the first two books and for some reason really wasn't all that into them

They're good reads. Really engaging and easy to blaze through. I agree with the previous poster who said its like the star wars of this generation. Ridiculously popular and got a lot of kids more actively into reading

Yeah hp is one of the best series. Books an movies.

I read the first two books and for some reason really wasn't all that into them

The books are lame until book 4
In fact the first 2 are not only poorly written, they're bad for children
However, if you read them back to back (each is easy within a day) the first chapter of 4 will grip you
I thought 4s first chapter was the best I'd read at that point
5,6,7 are unnecessary long (because she thought she was a serious writer at this point) but have good bits

Not a great writer. Has her moments. Has good ideas.

If you are over 18 you should be reading more mature books. I don't understand how adults like the Harry Potter series.

If you are over 18 you should be reading more mature books. I don't understand how adults like the Harry Potter series.

I agree.

Visit the Sci-Fantasy Book discussion thread for much better reading material.. The writing style of Harry Potter is meant for teenagers and the films are meant for teenagers as well.

Back