Harry and Meghan: Canadian....

How you guys be speaking French and be part of the UK or whatever at the same time?
Beginning in the 16th century, British and French expeditions explored and later settled in the parts of North America. As a consequence of various armed conflicts, France ceded nearly all of its colonies in North America in 1763 after the "Seven Year's War" (also called the French and Indian War in the United States). You're from Alabama. Mobile, Alabama was founded by French Colonists.

Beginning in the 16th century, British and French expeditions explored and later settled in the parts of North America. As a consequence of various armed conflicts, France ceded nearly all of its colonies in North America in 1763 after the "Seven Year's War" (also called the French and Indian War in the United States). You're from Alabama. Mobile, Alabama was founded by French Colonists.
I’ve just never understood why big chunks of Canada speak French while being part of the British Commonwealth. Are there other examples of this happening?

I’ve just never understood why big chunks of Canada speak French while being part of the British Commonwealth. Are there other examples of this happening?
I don't think it's hard to understand. In simple terms, Quebec started as a french colony but was then ceded to the English. They maintained their language and customs though.

I mean if you look close to yourself the Cajuns are decendents of Acadian exiles and still maintained their creole french. Same thing with Haiti. Language just doesn't' disappear because governments change.

I don't think it's hard to understand. In simple terms, Quebec started as a french colony but was then ceded to the English. They maintained their language and customs though.

I mean if you look close to yourself the Cajuns are decendents of Acadian exiles and still maintained their creole french. Same thing with Haiti. Language just doesn't' disappear because governments change.
I lived in New Orleans for a long time. There are a few old timers who speak a sort of French, but definitely not whole cities or anything.
I don’t really understand Canada’s relationship to England anyway. They are not in charge of you guys, but Elizabeth is queen of Canada? Do you guys give them taxes?

I lived in New Orleans for a long time. There are a few old timers who speak a sort of French, but definitely not whole cities or anything.
I don’t really understand Canada’s relationship to England anyway. They are not in charge of you guys, but Elizabeth is queen of Canada? Do you guys give them taxes?
No we don't give them taxes but we cover expenses associated with her duties.
In the simplest of terms that I can think of? England is Canada's cousin. We're kind of related through the monarchy and because we were a colony once upon a time. But we have our immediate families and only see our cousins at funerals or weddings.
The queens role is symbolic. She's the head of state. Her representative called the governor general signs our bills that are passed which makes them law. But other than being symbolic doesn't mean much.
We pretty much don't think about them much unless you're in court. Otherwise the only time they really come up is what we call May Two Four. Queen Victoria's birthday is a holiday in May we get. It's a long weekend so we drink.

Back