Hardy landed first, Condit won b/c of FORM and Jackson

Condit put more bodyweight behind his punch and landed directly on the chin. Hardy did not.

People will soon learn that this isn't a big deal, it just happened at that moment and Hardy is probably still a better striker.

A better striker that managed to get out stricken up to the knock out? It was all condit for the first three minutes, then Hardy started getting into it, but Condit was still landing more and harder. Hardy's only decent punch missed his mark, and he got knocked out by the better striker.

Condit's punch was great, but honestly, that ground-and-pound at the end was so clinical it approached professional status. That's a KO and Finish you show people over-and-over again.

I think the difference between the two punches was timing and more importantly, judging distance. Both got their timing pretty much spot on, but Condit had judge the distance much better than Hardy. So his punch landed at its most powerful, on the apex of the curve so to speak, where as Hardy's judging of distance was a bit off. Very similar to Daley's left hook on Hazelett, although I think Daley's was tighter:).

Damn wonder how much worse it would have been if Condit threw a cross counter instead.

And looking at the gif, Hardy's form was alright. It was no Roy Jones Jr hook but it wasn't worse than Condit's.

The big difference is in the footwork. Hardy overthrows the right as well.

Generally when you throw a 1-2-3 or a 2-3 the straight is used to set up the left hook. The idea is to use the right to to get your opponents hands out of position and to set up the your torso for the left hook. You generally dont throw the right with kill-shot power becasue dong so gets your feet and torso out of position (weight alignment and distribution). You want to finish the straight in a loaded (weight sitting down into the next punch) position to move you weight forward on top the front foot to Power the hook.

In the gif watch Harpy's feet compared to Condit. Hardy over throws his straight, never manages to sit down on his hook and cant step with it to gauge distance/accuracy.

This.
(While still very far from being perfect, Ts is right in saying Condist standup is quite improved.)

Wouldn't being on his toes increase rotation and therefore torque and power as you can't rotate as much if your foot is planted? Or am I missing something?

Think about this: the more flat your foot is the more range to push into the ground, rotate, torque,etc. If you are on your toes your calf muscles are already stretched, theres little space/power to work with - obviously, you

Last edited:
lol.. i didnt see a grind out boring decision in that fight, so greg jackson had no part of that... sorry TS..

Yeah. Hardy's punch actually lands on the neck where Condit's punch lands perfectly. I would say it had more to do with that than anything about the punch being horizontal vs vertical.

Good observation. Notice also that the final knockout is delivered by Condit's follow up punch on the ground. (Watch Hardy's left arm).

Hardy initiates his left hook by stepping with his left leg across and turning his body pulling the arm around. You can see it in this same fight.

Yeah. Hardy's punch actually lands on the neck where Condit's punch lands perfectly. I would say it had more to do with that than anything about the punch being horizontal vs vertical.

Exactly this

RUKickboxer - can you make that pic on the last page a bit bigger?

I can't quite make it out.

Yeah, it wasn't Hardy's best punch. Condit looks like Sugar Ray Robinson with his application of leverage there, but at the same time, I agree with what several posters have already said; it was the accuracy and not the execution of leverage that made the overwhelming difference.

Condit is the real deal. I expect GSP to defend (yet again) against Koscheck, and hopefully we'll see Condit and GSP square off.

A better striker that managed to get out stricken up to the knock out? It was all condit for the first three minutes, then Hardy started getting into it, but Condit was still landing more and harder. Hardy's only decent punch missed his mark, and he got knocked out by the better striker.

While I agree that condit had the overall better striking in this fight, I disagree with him having the harder kicks. His kicks were pretty slappy for the most part, while Hardy landed a few hard leg kicks. However, Condit had way better combinations which kept throwing Hardy off his game, and I think this would've cost him the fight if it had gone to decision.

My analysis on this fight is that both guys left themselves open for counter and either guy could've knocked the other out. One just brought the better punch in that exchange.

Condit's striking looked fucking great in that fight. There was one combo he threw where he finished up with a high kick while Hardy was backing up, it was just beautiful. Reminded me of a Badr Hari combo.

But yes, Condit's hook was much better. Tighter, turned over better, more ground.

And for those who are chastising Condit for not having his hands up- the ends justify his means. That is a classic case of function over form; just because he doesn't have textbook picture perfect form with his defense doesn't mean he's a bad striker. Would a guy like Semtex have beat him to the punch in that situation? Probably. But the fact of the matter is, right hand low or not, he got the KO right then and there. You can't argue with results.

Condit's striking looked fucking great in that fight. There was one combo he threw where he finished up with a high kick while Hardy was backing up, it was just beautiful. Reminded me of a Badr Hari combo.

But yes, Condit's hook was much better. Tighter, turned over better, more ground.

And for those who are chastising Condit for not having his hands up- the ends justify his means. That is a classic case of function over form; just because he doesn't have textbook picture perfect form with his defense doesn't mean he's a bad striker. Would a guy like Semtex have beat him to the punch in that situation? Probably. But the fact of the matter is, right hand low or not, he got the KO right then and there. You can't argue with results.

agreed. condit's striking looked ridiculously good in that fight. if he woulda swept hardy's leg when he caught that kick i woulda jizzed

Back