Hardy landed first, Condit won b/c of FORM and Jackson

Ok arm chair warrior. You are wrong on most of your analysis.

First, they both just through straight right hands...so getting your right hand back up next to your face as you through a left hook is going to be hard to do, neither fighter had their right hand back up against their head...many pro boxers do the same thing.

Second, the situation could have been easily reversed, had Hardy thrown the tighter hook, he might have KO'd Condit. Their form is nearly identical except Hardy threw a fist down hook, whereas Condit through a palm facing his face hook. I prefer Condit's method personally and was taught this way, it stops the looping effect that hurt Hardy in this instance that could happen. Palm facing hooks help keep it tighter. Hardy also stood up slightly as he was throwing his hook, as did Condit, but more so.

Lastly, due to the heigh difference, that may have been the reason Hardy was coming up on his toes as he threw it, along with the mechanics/physics after trying to throw the straight right and firing a left hook.

Neither guy looked great with their combination, but the technique doesn't have to be perfect, you just need to land it flush and hard...which Condit managed to do.

Final thought, both fighters knew exactly what was coming, they both saw each other throw the straight right, and both saw each other's left hook coming and were hoping they landed their's first and hard on the button.

His analysis > yours...quit cryin keyboard cowboy.

7y3bvuv.gif

This is great technique, Floyd actually lands his hook and then backs out of the way of his opponents punch. He also keeps his right hand up for protection.

Same scenario, but Mayweather comes out of it without getting hit at all whereas most MMA fighters and a lot of boxers would take one to give one in that situation.

yes it is, im a big floyd fan but i know hes a punk, i dont get how such a punk can have such flawless technique.....i really think he would wreck pac-man if they ever throw down

Hardy's right hand should be protecting his face and absorbing that shot.

yes it is, im a big floyd fan but i know hes a punk, i dont get how such a punk can have such flawless technique.....i really think he would wreck pac-man if they ever throw down

I don't think the Floyd that just fought Shane would hang with Manny for 12 rounds.

Ok arm chair warrior. You are wrong on most of your analysis.

First, they both just through straight right hands...so getting your right hand back up next to your face as you through a left hook is going to be hard to do, neither fighter had their right hand back up against their head...many pro boxers do the same thing.

Second, the situation could have been easily reversed, had Hardy thrown the tighter hook, he might have KO'd Condit. Their form is nearly identical except Hardy threw a fist down hook, whereas Condit through a palm facing his face hook. I prefer Condit's method personally and was taught this way, it stops the looping effect that hurt Hardy in this instance that could happen. Palm facing hooks help keep it tighter. Hardy also stood up slightly as he was throwing his hook, as did Condit, but more so.

Lastly, due to the heigh difference, that may have been the reason Hardy was coming up on his toes as he threw it, along with the mechanics/physics after trying to throw the straight right and firing a left hook.

Neither guy looked great with their combination, but the technique doesn't have to be perfect, you just need to land it flush and hard...which Condit managed to do.

Final thought, both fighters knew exactly what was coming, they both saw each other throw the straight right, and both saw each other's left hook coming and were hoping they landed their's first and hard on the button.

Yes, I am a warrior, but I actually have a couch...

1) I'm sure you are a very talented fighter, and it isn't necessary for you to bring your hand back to position... but I typically try to. As I said, in the exchange, sometimes things get a little sloppy. Doesn't mean it isn't something that a coach shouldn't fix. Fighters of ALL skill levels gets told by coaches "DON'T DROP YOUR RIGHT HAND AFTER THE CROSS!" Even though they know already.

2) triangle block after a cross is standard issue and if you don't over commit, you don't need to swing your right arm for balance to bring the next punch back. Again, in a PERFECT WORLD.

3) You were taught that way for a reason. You were also probably taught not to throw from the shoulder, but from the hips, and not to lose your base. Thanks for agreeing.

4) Yeah, it has to be a hard shot on the button... you are again correct. *gold star*
See #3 for a recap of how to throw a hard shot. As for the height? If you are fighting a taller fighter, standing on your toes is not the answer. Again, just a coaching issue.

Thanks for your insult and input.

People who are on their toes sacrifice power. If he wanted to deliver with power he needs to get off his toes and plant his feet.

Notice from the angle of the KO that shows hardy's back and his legs. As he throws the punch he rises up on his feet, instead of sitting down on the punch.

Yes, I am a warrior, but I actually have a couch...

1) I'm sure you are a very talented fighter, and it isn't necessary for you to bring your hand back to position... but I typically try to. As I said, in the exchange, sometimes things get a little sloppy. Doesn't mean it isn't something that a coach shouldn't fix. Fighters of ALL skill levels gets told by coaches "DON'T DROP YOUR RIGHT HAND AFTER THE CROSS!" Even though they know already.

2) triangle block after a cross is standard issue and if you don't over commit, you don't need to swing your right arm for balance to bring the next punch back. Again, in a PERFECT WORLD.

3) You were taught that way for a reason. You were also probably taught not to throw from the shoulder, but from the hips, and not to lose your base. Thanks for agreeing.

4) Yeah, it has to be a hard shot on the button... you are again correct. *gold star*
See #3 for a recap of how to throw a hard shot. As for the height? If you are fighting a taller fighter, standing on your toes is not the answer. Again, just a coaching issue.

Thanks for your insult and input.

Great break down and equally good follow up. Well done.

It wasnt Jackson as much as it was Mike Winklejohn's work. Mike is the boxing/kickboxing coach for Jacksons camp

Watch Condit's hand, then hardy's. This is what good coaching does for a fighter.

Condit: hips turn perfectly, leading the torso. This creates a whip-crack effect (imagining the whip's handle is the leg, through psoas, abs, lats, pecs, delts and finally BAM, biceps catch all of that momentum).
-Hand is vertical.
-He didn't get his hand back to his face. Big risk. But he stayed in the pocket and used good form.

Hardy's punch is WEAK, even though he actually lands HIS hook first. I know in real-time on the GIF it looks fast, but the power he needed would have come from his feet and elbow. Look at his feet. During the exchange, they get close together. He quits turning his hips. His hand is horizontal instead of vertical. And he can't bend the elbow to generate the "hook" motion, because he is using all pecs/delts to throw the hook.

Thanks sensei

whip-crack effect, this dude knows his shit you guys.

fuck condit, he has the worst nickname ever

Anyone who thinks Condit displayed great timing or great technical striking has never boxed and does not know what they are taking about. This was about 2 guys planting their feet and winging reckless punches at one another and Condit being the better striker landed more clearly.

If Condit or Hardy were MW and stood in front of Leben the same exchange would happen but with Leben probably eating the Condit shot and finishing him.

that type of striking is all about be willing to eat a shot in the attempt of landing yours and hopefully getting the finish.

When i used to box our coaches would take you out to the wood shed for that type of exchange where you leave yourself so open. Win or lose they do not like that coin flip type of approach.

hardy only misses by maybe half an inch upwards in knocking Condit off that blow and maybe KO'ing him.

Notice from the angle of the KO that shows hardy's back and his legs. As he throws the punch he rises up on his feet, instead of sitting down on the punch.

Wouldn't being on his toes increase rotation and therefore torque and power as you can't rotate as much if your foot is planted? Or am I missing something?

Arm chair warrior, sensei...

Sensing a lot of sarcasm...

Maybe we should keep the threads on Sherdog focused on who would win Anderson or Fedor? Or if "Old FighterXfromPride" will come back. That and bouncing GIF's of ring-girl boobs, and we officially have a forum that contributes nothing to anyone other than casual fans, nostalgic DVD renters, and horny teenagers.

Thanks to the people who actually read the post and thought about the analysis and how it applies to themselves and their favorite fighters.

By worst you mean best. NBK shits over everything

...except he's never actually killed anyone.

if brian stann or tim kennedy had that as their nickname it would be completely badass, because they actually used to kill people for a living.

7y3bvuv.gif

This is great technique, Floyd actually lands his hook and then backs out of the way of his opponents punch. He also keeps his right hand up for protection.

Same scenario, but Mayweather comes out of it without getting hit at all whereas most MMA fighters and a lot of boxers would take one to give one in that situation.

Did the check hook knock Hatton out or the corner he head butted? First time seeing it from that angle.

Wouldn't being on his toes increase rotation and therefore torque and power as you can't rotate as much if your foot is planted? Or am I missing something?

They are saying "on your toes" as in him trying to stay light, and to get the hook up to Condit's head level. To generate, you are on the ball of your pivot foot (depending on the punch, it differs). Boxers typically have the very best footwork, but MMA fighters do need to incorporate takedown defense, which is why everyone is a little different on how they stand based on their attributes and their opponent. But for sheer speed and power, boxers have punching form down to the absolute greatest economy of motion for power/speed.

They are saying "on your toes" as in him trying to stay light, and to get the hook up to Condit's head level. To generate, you are on the ball of your pivot foot (depending on the punch, it differs). Boxers typically have the very best footwork, but MMA fighters do need to incorporate takedown defense, which is why everyone is a little different on how they stand based on their attributes and their opponent. But for sheer speed and power, boxers have punching form down to the absolute greatest economy of motion for power/speed.

Ok so rather than be on the ball of his foot he's rising onto his toes for height rather than rotation. Is that what you're getting at?

Watch Condit's hand, then hardy's. This is what good coaching does for a fighter.

Condit: hips turn perfectly, leading the torso. This creates a whip-crack effect (imagining the whip's handle is the leg, through psoas, abs, lats, pecs, delts and finally BAM, biceps catch all of that momentum).
-Hand is vertical.
-He didn't get his hand back to his face. Big risk. But he stayed in the pocket and used good form.

Hardy's punch is WEAK, even though he actually lands HIS hook first. I know in real-time on the GIF it looks fast, but the power he needed would have come from his feet and elbow. Look at his feet. During the exchange, they get close together. He quits turning his hips. His hand is horizontal instead of vertical. And he can't bend the elbow to generate the "hook" motion, because he is using all pecs/delts to throw the hook.

And here I thought hands were often supposed to be horizontal upon impact with hooks.. Not saying vertical is wrong, it's obviously not always wrong, but why do you say horizontal is wrong?

best-boxing-combination.jpg

147177.jpg

I would chalk this up to a game of inches. Condit hitting the bottom part of the chin(Worse of an impact) and Hardy being slightly off hitting the side of the neck. All a matter of being in the moment and one hitting the target perfectly while the other being off slightly.

Also with the "Should have defended with the other hand", I would say in that exchange it is very hard to get your hand back to your face that quick while also focusing your power and technique into your hitting hand. I do see Condit bringing his hand to his face, its just not fast enough.

I've always wanted to win a fight like that. You see his punch coming and you throw yours thinking 'sack up' who is going to be the bigger man tonight.

Back