Hardheart's HFFK Log

So a few updates.

10/25

-Pulled 365 for easy
-Attempted 405, the bar I'm using at the gym can't support 405. I'm not sure how close I came to injuring myself, or others, but the bowing on the bar was nothing like I have ever seen in any video with 405 on the bar. I was almost half way up and the weight was still on the ground but the bar was in my hands. It felt surreal and comical. I wasn't meant to hit 405. I tried again and got an even more comical result.

Also I did some OHP on 10/24. Felt good. Rep'd 135 for a 3 or so.

10/28

Did bench on a barbell for the first time since April. Felt meh. Shoulder is still wonky but the wrist wraps seem to have helped. They certainly helped during the bench press. Pushed up 185 with ease. I'm sure if I were to train it properly I could get back to my max but I'll settle for the DB benches I've been doing because it's easier to bail if I miss a rep/lift as I don't have a spotter.

10/29
Squats...felt great. For the first time I can remember, basically ever, my muscles were firing, dare I say, perfect. Glute #1. Hams #2. Quads a distant #3. Usually I'm quad heavy and today it was just....perfect. My form was just spot on. I decided to kind of push it, and hit 275 slightly below paralell but not quite ATG and powered out of that like it was lighter than 225. So, I'm feeling surreal in the gym. Again. So, I toss up 315. I'm thinking, fuck ya. I got a 315 in me today. Squat. Feels great on the way down. Hit parallel. Fire! Out of the hole. Up fast enough that the bar wobbled/bounced from the inertia. Fuck ya. Unfasten the belt and let it fling off my waist like a boss. Think for a second. That was too fucking easy. Double check the weight. Yup, 315. Pick up my belt and refasten. Reload the bar on my back. Down slow. Hit the hole. FIRE! UP WITH THE MISSION TO WIN. Bar bounces like it's fucking scared of my back and wants to get away. Drop my belt again. It's all I can do not to fucking roar. What the fuck has gotten into me?

..MOTHERFUCKING PR. 315 FOR A DEUCE.

11/1

Hit 385 on my DL which was my previous best. Felt heavy as fuck.

Going to work my way up to 405, 5lbs at a time. Next Friday I'll try for 390.

9 year bump

I hit 390 that Friday.
I hit 395 the next Friday.
I hit 400 the third Friday.
I hit 405 the fourth Friday.
I hit 405 for 2 the fifth Friday but missed 410.
I hit 410 the sixth Friday.

I kept training but wasn't trying to advance my max. Eventually my shoulders and lower back just hurt too much to continue lifting with any regularity and I slipped out of regular workouts and eventually none. I gave my body time to heal while eating well and continuing to supplement the basics.

I went back into the gym mid-2016 and I didn't ease into things. By early-mid 2017 I had managed to overdo it, and my shoulders, lower back, and biceps were all aching constantly. Nothing "hurt" enough to see a Dr or PT but I knew I needed to rest more than a week. I took some more time off to heal. In Mid 2018 I returned to training and again didn't ease in and by September 2019 I was needing to take time off to heal. I returned to the gym in September 2021 after starting with row machine cardio at home in April 2021 so I was at least in cardio-vascular health. I eased back in starting with the 4 primary lifts (DL, SQ, OHP, and Incline DB Bench due to previous shoulder owies) and started doing 5x5's. I started at 135 for squat, 135 for DL, 65 for OHP, and 35s on DB iBench. When I hit 185 for 5x5 on DL & SQ, I upped the reps/sets by one each week until I reached 10. Then I retested my 1RMs and started doing 5/3/1 again.

Hellova memory there. Come back sooner, hopefully we're all still alive.

Hellova memory there. Come back sooner, hopefully we're all still alive.

Thank you. It was my PR for DL and I had been working to break 385 for a long time so it was a big deal. It's odd as I see a large number of people that were regulars here (and in the D&S) stopped posting in late 2013/early 2014. Keosawa stopped in April of 2014 but he's still a freak and now owns his own gym if you follow him on the gram.

9 year bump

I hit 390 that Friday.
I hit 395 the next Friday.
I hit 400 the third Friday.
I hit 405 the fourth Friday.
I hit 405 for 2 the fifth Friday but missed 410.
I hit 410 the sixth Friday.

I kept training but wasn't trying to advance my max. Eventually my shoulders and lower back just hurt too much to continue lifting with any regularity and I slipped out of regular workouts and eventually none. I gave my body time to heal while eating well and continuing to supplement the basics.

I went back into the gym mid-2016 and I didn't ease into things. By early-mid 2017 I had managed to overdo it, and my shoulders, lower back, and biceps were all aching constantly. Nothing "hurt" enough to see a Dr or PT but I knew I needed to rest more than a week. I took some more time off to heal. In Mid 2018 I returned to training and again didn't ease in and by September 2019 I was needing to take time off to heal. I returned to the gym in September 2021 after starting with row machine cardio at home in April 2021 so I was at least in cardio-vascular health. I eased back in starting with the 4 primary lifts (DL, SQ, OHP, and Incline DB Bench due to previous shoulder owies) and started doing 5x5's. I started at 135 for squat, 135 for DL, 65 for OHP, and 35s on DB iBench. When I hit 185 for 5x5 on DL & SQ, I upped the reps/sets by one each week until I reached 10. Then I retested my 1RMs and started doing 5/3/1 again.

9 year bump mandatory +1<Moves>

Not activating core enough to start your lifts?

Thank you. It was my PR for DL and I had been working to break 385 for a long time so it was a big deal. It's odd as I see a large number of people that were regulars here (and in the D&S) stopped posting in late 2013/early 2014. Keosawa stopped in April of 2014 but he's still a freak and now owns his own gym if you follow him on the gram.
I don't have any social media, easier to stay sane and not hate everyone. The S&C must stir up some old ghost and email people, a few of them come back when something is brought up from years ago. Or they use Monk mode everyday looking without speaking.

Currently focused on increasing OHP so squats are in light mode.

Squats
45 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 5 x 3
135 x 10

GHR
BW x 10 x 3

Lunges
60lb x 5 Each Leg x 3

Held the 10th rep of each GHR for 3 seconds.

I don't have any social media, easier to stay sane and not hate everyone. The S&C must stir up some old ghost and email people, a few of them come back when something is brought up from years ago. Or they use Monk mode everyday looking without speaking.

Glad to see this place is still kicking and a few of the regulars from "my era" are still here.

Edit: If not obvious, this is all in lbs. 1, I'm in a commercial gym so all my equipment is Imperial and 2, doing the conversion is just annoying. I suppose I could use an app but I don't care that much. 3, I'm not competing in any lifting based sport so Imperial v Metric really doesn't matter. What matters is tracking the progress and holding myself accountable.

Last edited:
Active recovery day today

35 minute hike in the Phoenix foothills today in the AM

Band Workout before dinner

Facepulls w/EFS Monster Mini Band (Green)
3 sets x 15 reps + 3 second hold on last rep each set
+ super set
Grip Trainer (100lbs)
3 sets x 10 reps each hand + 10 second hold on last rep each hand each set

Standing Tricep Extension w/EFS Mini Band (Red)
3 sets x 15 reps each arm + 3 second hold on last rep each each arm

Band Pull Apart w/EFS Monster Mini Band (Green)
2 sets x 20 reps + 1 second hold on each rep + 5 second hold last rep each set

Bent Over Row w/EFS Green Band
2 sets x 15 reps + 5 second hold on last rep of each set (I don't know if anything has ever worked my rhomboids like this before, WOO!)

Overhead Squat w/EFS Green Band
1 set of 10 reps

Deadlift w/EFS Green
1 set of 10 reps

Sunday 4/17

1.5 hour hike, 8,000+ steps, well over 5k possibly up to 10k

Monday AM workout

Overhead Squats
BW + 20lb Vest + EFS Green Band
3x10
+++ Superset
Grip Trainer
1 x 5 + 10s hold on last rep, per hand
2 x 10 + 10s hold on last rep, per hand

Deadlifts
BW + 20lb Vest + EFS Green Band
3x10
+++ Superset
Grip Trainer
3 x 10 + 10s hold on last rep, per hand

Good Morning
2xBW + 20lb Vest + EFS Green Band (wooooow these really smoke my lower back, 1st set in and I'm feeling it)
1xBW + 20lb Vest + EFS Green Band + EFS Red Band

Monday PM Workout

OHP
45 x 10
65 x 8
95 x 4
115 x 1 (recent PR)
115 x 0
95 x 7
95 x 6

Chin Up
BW - 50 x 5

Bent Over Row
115 x 10
115 x 12
115 x 12
45 x 10

Tuesday AM

Band Pull Aparts w/EFS Green Band
3 x 20

Tricep Pulldown w/EFS Green Band
3 x 20

Facepull w/EFS Red Band
3 x 20

Lying Pullover w/EFS Red Band
3 x 20

Tuesday PM
Seated Cable Row
50 x 10
80 x 8
110 x 8 x 3

Hyperextension
BW x 15 x 3

Lat Pulldowns
70 x 10
90 x 8
110 x 6 x 3

Thursday PM
DB Bench
40/2x12
60/2x8
80/2x5
140/2x3
140/2x3
140/2x3

On Arm DB Row
60/2x15
60/2x15
60/2x15

Lat Pulldowns
50x12
80x15x3

Tricep Pulldowns
50x10
80x15x3
-------------------------------
Friday PM Workout
Squat
45x10
135x8
225x2x3

GHR
BW (198) x 12 x 3

Good Mornings
95x12x3
--------------------------------
Saturday AM
Facepull w/EFS Red Band
30x3
+++ Superset
Grip Trainer (100lbs)
15x3 + 3s hold on last rep on each hand

Back Pulldowns (think reverse good morning)
30x1

Oblique Twist
10x1 (each side)

Monday PM
OHP
45x10
65x8
85x6x4

Bent Over Row
65x15x3

Pulldowns
50x12
80x15x3
---------------------

Tuesday AM
Feeling some weirdness in my right elbow/top forearm area so going light

Band Pull Aparts w/EFS Red
35x2
30x1 (going for 100 total, will keep pushing until I can do 100 in one shot)
+++ Superset
Grip Trainer (100lbs)
3x10 w/10s Hold on last rep on each hand

Wednesday PM
5km walk with a 20lb vest on

If you haven't tried the weighted vest thing, do it.
I think this may be my next fitness related purchase - I used to stick a load of weights into an old Army backpack and basically do rucking, but I think the weight vest would provide a more evenly spread load. I love walking and do plenty of it, so I think I'd get good use out of a vest.

Last edited:
I think this may be my next fitness related purchase - I used to stick a load of weights into an old Army backpack and basically do rucking, but I think the weight vest would provide a more evenly spread load. I love walking and do plenty of it, so I think I'd get good use out of a vest.

I'm happy with the purchase for walks alone. I got a cheap one from the sporting goods store and it does the trick.

Back