Hardest Punching LW in the UFC?

Melvin vs. Gomi does sound fun.

This man is correct, for pure one punch power it's Gomi and it's not even close.

For you to say it isn't even close is ridiculous. All of the punches in those gifs land right on the chin. If you are only hitting guys right on the chin, you don't need "one punch power" to KO people. That is the problem with trying to judge this kind of thing. I think Gomi is throwing more technical punches than Guillard, which is why he lands on the chin more, but raw power, I think Guillard has him.

No love for Sam Stout? Gomi obviously is probably number 1 in terms of punching power though.

Melvin & Jeremy Stephens are the heaviest hitters for sure. Nobody else comes close when it comes to straight punching power at LW

So far the only fight where I've seen Maynards punching power on display was in his fights against the much smaller Edgar and it still had no effect in the later rounds.
Ask Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Ken Florian, Roger Huerta, Dennis Siver, Clay Guida.
Than check with Edgars Doctors who had to repair his face twice. Than check with the guy he KOd in 9 sec; the UFC LW Record that still stands.
Need anymore references, einstein?

Well, because those things or not really the same. Michael Bisping is not a big puncher at all, and has plenty of finishes attained pretty much exclusively due to punches.

A lot of Maynard punches is obviously really hard, he can't capitalize though, or even land another one on hurt opponent.

GrayMaynardvsJoeVeresslow.gif

The fastest KO in UFC LW History, 9 seconds.
You might also consider level of opponents. Maynard has fought the very best in the Division. The same can't be said for others that you mention.

itd be rob sinclair if the UFC ever picked him up

1 year ago no one would of said maynard

You and those who get their scoop on fightfinder might not. However, for those who actually watch fights, they know that Maynard has knocked down/rocked badly most opponents that he's faced. And those are the best in the Division.

You and those who get their scoop on fightfinder might not. However, for those who actually watch fights, they know that Maynard has knocked down/rocked badly most opponents that he's faced. And those are the best in the Division.

I've watched every Maynard fight.. He does hit hard but he's not on the same level as Gomi, Stephens, Melvin or Eddie in terms of KO power... The records speak for themselves. Just count the KO/TKO wins for each fighter. Maynard is not a finisher.

Ask Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Ken Florian, Roger Huerta, Dennis Siver, Clay Guida.

A. Nate Diaz won that fight

B. There was hardly anything done in the Guida fight to warrant the claim that he's the hardest punching LW in the division

I've watched every Maynard fight.. He does hit hard but he's not on the same level as Gomi, Stephens, Melvin or Eddie in terms of KO power... The records speak for themselves. Just count the KO/TKO wins for each fighter. Maynard is not a finisher.

Again, finishes =/= sheer punching power...

I'm not going to argue that Maynard should be 1rst or so among powerful punchers, because it's horribly abstract and hard to judge.

But he certainly had landed some fucking bombs in his career.

B. There was hardly anything done in the Guida fight to warrant the claim that he's the hardest punching LW in the division

Except for the fact that Clay's entire gameplan was predicated on his and his team's beleif that Maynard is one of the hardest punching LWs. Soooooo...

For you to say it isn't even close is ridiculous. All of the punches in those gifs land right on the chin. If you are only hitting guys right on the chin, you don't need "one punch power" to KO people. That is the problem with trying to judge this kind of thing. I think Gomi is throwing more technical punches than Guillard, which is why he lands on the chin more, but raw power, I think Guillard has him.

LOL @ Gomi throwing more technical punches than anyone

I would say it's the exact opposite, Gomi just wings everything he throws these days, whilst Melvin tends to be far more accurate, but pure powr? I'd have to say Gomi > Guillard.

I would say it's the exact opposite, Gomi just wings everything he throws these days, whilst Melvin tends to be far more accurate, but pure powr? I'd have to say Gomi > Guillard.

I don't think so. Watch the gifs on the other page. Melvin is missing everything pretty much, but still knocking guys down or out. Gomi is throwing perfect hooks.

I don't think so. Watch the gifs on the other page. Melvin is missing everything pretty much, but still knocking guys down or out. Gomi is throwing perfect hooks.

That was Gomi in his prime though (besides the Griffin fight) These days Melvin is the far superior and accurate striker. Pretty much all one punch knockouts land clean on the jaw, shots to the temple or behind the ear tend to make fighters do the stanky leg or be dropped but you very rarely see fighters go out unless they get hit on the jaw. Guillard for sure throws bombs, but I think Gomi and even Jeremy Stevens pack more it terms of pure one punch finishing ability.

None of them can say they knocked Matt Hughes out cold so I'm going to say BJ Penn. Melvin Guillard is the most explosive guy at LW and his hands are dynamite so him too

Back