hardest punch in boxing....

Pretty much sums it up. I personally think the Marciano punch was the hardest I've ever seen, but I checked out Earnie Shavers on YouTube and that's a pretty strong argument for Earnie. Shavers has freakishly broad shoulders; I've always wondered if there is some leverage component in his punches because he just dropped people like they'd been shot in the neck.

Damned good thread and excellent posts.

Pretty much sums it up. I personally think the Marciano punch was the hardest I've ever seen, but I checked out Earnie Shavers on YouTube and that's a pretty strong argument for Earnie. Shavers has freakishly broad shoulders; I've always wondered if there is some leverage component in his punches because he just dropped people like they'd been shot in the neck.

Damned good thread and excellent posts.

its just full of win !

did anybody mention SAm Peter's left hook on Jeremy Williams? i thought he killed him.

I think the second knockdown Foreman scored on Frazier deserves an honorable mention. Just like Shave v Holmes knock down i have no idea how Frazier got up for that shot.

1z6ur8j.jpg

That was brutal! Can we get the full gif to show when the guy hits the canvas?

Shavers hit harder than Foreman.

No doubt about that but I don't think he would have generated as much force as Foreman did.

Force is mass times acceleration and if the difference in their hand speed is negligible or a slight edge to Shavers, Foreman's hands were much larger.

I was just watching this vid, and thought it would be very appropriate for this thread. Foreman was earlier my solid and sentimental favorite as the hardest puncher. I have to say that after the cases presented by posters here, and this vid, I must now admit that Shavers is a very strong candidate as the best. Of course, we can say that Lyle is partial to Shavers as the best because Foreman beat Ron : ), but...that is best saved for another time. Just listen to what Mr. Lyle has to say about it:

By the way, Lyle looks and sounds good considering the wars he was in!

Lyle was a warrior. This video has a very funny part where Lyle doesnt seem to understand why someone would be "cautious" against Foreman. Hmmm, I wonder why, lol. Lyle didnt understand because he threw caution to the wind, was not afraid, and went to war with Foreman in probably the best heavyweight brawl, not boxing match, ever.

Last edited:
Shavers

The thing about boxing is the punch has to LAND in order to be effective. Shavers didn't have the best speed, footwork, precision or ring generalship to set up his punch. But he did have THE punch. When we look at others we get to see how they could set up that punch.

Spinks said it was Tyson's speed that was so impressive. Power comes easy in the HWD but speed is rare. It makes it harder to react so the punch lands.

Marciano had remarkable accuracy under fire. Archie Moore talked about this at great length. You'd hit him over and over again then he hits you as you're hitting him and your hands are free.

Shavers just hit you with incredible power.

Ryan Rhodes / Gary Woolcombe is a KO that comes to mind. In terms of bad KO.

i know tyson has several i seen one clip of him uppercutting someone and he nearly took his head clean off his shoulders.....i looked but couldnt find it......

That was against Jose Ribalta, but he got up right away and lasted until the 10th before the ref stopped it for him not fighting back.

The hardest punch I've seen landed was peter vs. williams. There was such a huge strength/size difference between the two that it made it a little scary. Peter put his entire body into that punch, nobody would have been able to take it.

[YT]pjhB_dSvSF8[/YT]

samuel-peter-v-jeremy-williams.jpg

On another note: now that sam has gone as far as he's going to go in boxing, he should give MMA a try. He's still young and has excellent balance and is freakishly strong; with a bit of training he would be a force.

That was against Jose Ribalta, but he got up right away and lasted until the 10th before the ref stopped it for him not fighting back.

The hardest punch I've seen landed was peter vs. williams. There was such a huge strength/size difference between the two that it made it a little scary. Peter put his entire body into that punch, nobody would have been able to take it.

[YT]pjhB_dSvSF8[/YT]

samuel-peter-v-jeremy-williams.jpg

On another note: now that sam has gone as far as he's going to go in boxing, he should give MMA a try. He's still young and has excellent balance and is freakishly strong; with a bit of training he would be a force.

damn what a shot...........

Most dont think of him as a puncher but Floyd Patterson produced some nasty KOs.

Most dont think of him as a puncher but Floyd Patterson produced some nasty KOs.

He's one of my favorites
now if only he had a better chin

I believe RJJ's knockout of Montell Griffin should be added to this list, that uppercut really snapped Griffins head skyward
And that straight right that Hearns dispatched Duran with, if you watch the video, the connect makes a sick cracking sound.

the punch hitman hearns ko'd duran with was pretty brutal

Back