Hardest part about being a fighter?

USAWrestler209

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you think is the hardest part of being a fighter?

Would you think its the actual intense training, strict regiment, the fight it self, getting hit, testing your cardio out in front of thousands of viewers?

I would think the top 2 things that must be horrendous to deal with as a fighter would be the weight cut, and the anxiety.

Weight cut's will always suck. No one weight cuts to get an advantage, they weight cut to not be at a disadvantage. So it must suck having to cut weight in order to stay competitive. That's the biggest obstacle I think that comes when yous sign a contract, the battle against the scale. Until you get those top notch nutritionist and that mental toughness to steam through things, weight cutting will be the biggest obstacle for a fight.

The biggest thing that must be a killer dealing with too must be the anxiety, I can assume a week long weight cut must be easier to get through than months long of anxiety. The relief after a fight must be the most awesome thing ever, where you can comfortably relax and eat a meal and rest with out having to worry at all about anything.

What do you guys think is the hardest part about being a fighter?

From what I've heard the fight is the easiest part. The hardest part is the training.

Not being able to do things your peers are doing, drinking, partying, eating whatever the hell you want...

I can tell you the worst thing about being a former fighter:
Many of the injuries never go away and get worse with age.
my back, neck, knees and elbows hurt daily.
Ive had multiple concussions and have had a permanent headache since 2008 (recently found out pot actually does work for this, im 32 and barely tried it...ya i know).

The training takes an immense toll on the body (especially spar days). The eating well and then cutting weight while still training is hard. The sacrifices (time with friends and family) that are on top of all these things. The mental and physical stress leading up to a fight (nerves, vomiting, sickness, etc). Hospital bills, being on disability, training costs, finding sponsors etc. At the elite level you have the fans constantly stopping you, media constantly wanting interviews, contractual obligations, etc. When all of these things are considered its no surprise the actual fight is the easiest part. I have much respect for professional fighters...more so than any other athlete on Earth.

fighting lossing and not being able to be a drunk or party animal

Training,dieting,no partying,weight cut,and losing are a few things.

They always talk about the fear of humiliation. Even Tyson used to say it all the time that he knew the man across the ring wanted to humiliate him in front of his own family and in front of the rest of the world.

I always found this interesting, and I don't think I can imagine the pressure. I get some nerves just watching some of the guys I've followed for a while.

Back