Harai-goshi Instructional

efficientjudo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi guys, we've released our three part Harai-goshi instructional covering the basic principles, set ups and competitive variations and I thought I'd share it here.

Let me know if you have any feedback!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.webp

Why the hate? We're just trying to provide a resource for budding Judoka and we make nothing from it (its produced at cost to us). While not a frequent poster, I contribute to a number of threads outside of the small amount of 'promotion' I've done for our own content, all of which is in a grappling forum.

Will watch them tonight. It used to be one of my throws, but I just stopped for some reason.

only hip throws i feel comfortable with is this and uchi mata dont need the lapels or sleeves either

I enjoyed it. Not sure why RJ took issue?

These are good instructionals on how to do one of the most popular and useful throws from Judo. The rude comment was unwarranted

Why the hate? We're just trying to provide a resource for budding Judoka and we make nothing from it (its produced at cost to us). While not a frequent poster, I contribute to a number of threads outside of the small amount of 'promotion' I've done for our own content, all of which is in a grappling forum.

RJ has his way of saying things.

While your videos may be a helpful resource, it's kind of a "me too" video that shows Judo like most of Judo resources. End technique, basic set up, etc. That's great but it's yet another so you got the spam reaction.

IMO Judo instructionals really have not progressed. It's still like the old Judo books where they show a myriad of techniques. Getting the basic form right is important and already a lot to learn, yes, but that's still only half the battle if even that.

He did show some competition variations though. I agree there is some question whether another very basic demo of harai is needed, but there’s some additional content in the vids.

IMO Judo instructionals really have not progressed. It's still like the old Judo books where they show a myriad of techniques. Getting the basic form right is important and already a lot to learn, yes, but that's still only half the battle if even that.

I agree the with that, it's part of the reason we've taken a basics - set ups - variations approach for each of our 'technique instructionals'. We're aiming to provide structure, progressive content - which in my opinion is a resource that is lacking, at least in a freely available format. What we are trying to do is bridge the gap between the unstructured, iphone recorded facebook type content and the professionally recorded, but behind a paywall type content. We don't do this / Judo for a living, we've recorded two batches of content (i.e. spent 2 sundays recording stuff) that we've published, with a third batch on the way.

thanks for the feedback.

i'd like to apologize for being an ass. you guys put a lot of time and work into these videos, which shows, and it's nice to have these types of resources out there. there's nothing 'wrong' with the video, and if it's my opinion that it doesn't show anything particularly different or enlightening than the other videos out there, maybe i should go fuck myself, or at least go outside, because people have shit to do besides watching all the goddamn videos on youtube. i sure as shit haven't produced any judo instructional videos, or anything particularly useful, for that matter.

He did show some competition variations though. I agree there is some question whether another very basic demo of harai is needed, but there’s some additional content in the vids.

i was basically trying to say this, but with pictures, i guess because i think i'm funny and need attention, and didn't realize it came off suuuuuuper dickish. :\

i was basically trying to say this, but with pictures, i guess because i think i'm funny and need attention, and didn't realize it came off suuuuuuper dickish. :\
Settle down!

This isn't another cockamamie WolfMan Dan car crash thread!

It's always good to show the new kids on the block solid technique.

How many "I need to learn/what's the best takedowns" threads r posted here....every week?

I rest my case your honor.

whoa whoa whoa......where is the deadpool av???? haha!

loved it. thanks.

Thanks for the vid man. Very nice details.

Good vid, but I agree with RJ that it doesn't really differentiate itself from the other Judo instructionals out there. But really, I don't know anyone who puts out unique Judo content.

I don't just want to see Harai, I want to see situations where not only can I use Harai, but dealing with defenses/counters/combos, and especially as it relates to BJJ, I want some focus on the transitions to the ground. Really, a throw don't mean shit if I don't have some control/top position at the end.

Truth is, if I get Harai, or any other throw/sweep/etc, I need to be prepared for a scramble, uke attempting at recovering guard, counter rolls, etc. Judo has "failed" IMO because life ends after the throw in almost every instructional. In real life and comps, though, it's just the start!!!

Judo has "failed" IMO because life ends after the throw in almost every instructional. In real life and comps, though, it's just the start!!!

"failed" is a strong word. And it is the start, but it can also be the finish, as the video above showed, and it could be what puts you in an advantageous position that is the difference between ground and pound and a submission and getting pounded and getting submitted. But I can agree with what you're coming from, I would also like to see more transitions, but that isn't the channel Efficient Judo's purpose, they're for making bite size videos that actually teach you something without any BS or unnecessary talking.

By the way, transition wise, hold onto the sleeve/arm and harai goshi should land uke at your feet, where you can apply the armbar or transition into side control, kesa gatame, or mount. :)

dude, your content is great, found it here on Sherdog and have been actively liking and am subscribed. It's a nice resource for showing people what judo is, specifically by showing them sumi gaeshi, uchi mata, or sode tsurikomi goshi, as those are visually pleasing even to people with little knowledge of combat sports. Keep the content coming, and I'd love to see more instructionals like this, an uchi mata one would be very much appreciated!

Back