Hapkido

FISTICUFFS

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Could someone break this style down for me? What does it entail? Is it effective? Any good ground work? THXS.

If it had good groundwork, I think we'd have seen more of it in MMA. Just my guess...

I think it's like TKD with a little aikido thrown in??

it's a little more complete from aikido from my limited knowledge of both styles. gives u more kick defence since u understand the mechanics of most tkd kicks. and it's not supposed to be completely defensive like aikido.

i wouldnt know how effective it is. Sakuraba said he studied aikido and ninjutsu in one of his interviews. i wouldn't know how much aikido/nunjutsu techs he actually uses in the ring.

Hapkido was created by a Korean who lived and trained with the a master of Daito ryu jiu jitsu. He studied for 45 years or something like that. Its the old stand up aiki type jiu jitsu. When the last generation of Koreans got a hold of it all the tradition was tossed and it turn into a fancy form of TKD. It's Korean Jiu jitsu.

I agree that Hapkido would be quite useless in mma mainly because it involves quite a lot wrist breaking techniques and focus quite a bit on punches to the throat and other vital spots. As far as I know these things tend to be illegal in mma. I could be wrong though

I saw a massive book on Hapkido whilst browsing the martial arts section in a shop, I had a look and it seems to cover pretty much everything: it had arm locks and bars, chokes, pins, throws. Most of it was on standup though, and some weapons.

Don't know though, like everything it probably depends on where you train.

Originally posted by Kimura Fan
Hapkido was created by a Korean who lived and trained with the a master of Daito ryu jiu jitsu. He studied for 45 years or something like that. Its the old stand up aiki type jiu jitsu. When the last generation of Koreans got a hold of it all the tradition was tossed and it turn into a fancy form of TKD. It's Korean Jiu jitsu.
regardless of roots, its more like korean aikido...(scissor leg takedown comes from jujutsu?) just remember everything that comes out of korea sucks, cept the cheap products they make for nike :D j/k

LOL this is my first post. Its funny how uniformed and ignorant some ppl are here.

I trained in Hapkido for over a year. Its one of the most well rounded martial arts out there. There are great techniques which include chokes and pressure point strikes. Awesome kicks like the scissor takedown(ala Cung Le).There is internal strength training(breathing techniques). Knees and elbow strikes, sweet footwork, as well as some boxing attibutes are taught in Hapkido. Sparring was a must and I will let u in on my fave move.. the unseen low spinning hook kick.

Useless? The only thing thats useless is your comment.

I no longer train in Hapkido. It is a well rounded MA but I found a different style that was more to my liking.

IMO The training was decent.

Its more on the self defense/street combat side.

I think it just depends on the school/teacher. That can make or break any art. You could learn Muay Thai from a bad teacher/mc dojo and you might be worse off than someone who went to an excellent Hapkido school.

Just depends.

I never count anyone out karate, hapkido we all are cross training now. Anything has a chance at working (some have a slimmer chance then others) but shit happens when your fighting. Volk in the last pride used a spinning hook kick. WTF I wouldn't have but it was a nice kick. Hapkido who knows it may work.

hapkido from what i've seen is pretty well rounded as all have said. it uses western boxing, karate kicks, mt knees and elbows. also the school my friend went to seemed to try to train their students for the street. they had light to medium sparring, round robin sparring and even multiple attackers sparring. this to me sounded good for a self defense class.

Well rounded doesnt mean shit to me. Effectiveness does. Who's gonna remember the wristlock when they are being pushed around and pounded by a wrestler?

Originally posted by masterless

Useless? The only thing thats useless is your comment.

any facts besides ur opinion? just cuz u THINK its good doens't mean anything. have u wrestled? I doubt it. you better get enlighetened on the mat thru wrestling or BJJ, where ppl actually SPAR, before commenting on grappling.
btw, just cuz cung le does scissor leg takedown doesn't mean hapkido shold get credit, esp cuz he didn't learn that from a hapkido person. should wing chun get credit for vitor's punches? hell no

Originally posted by Shaolin X
Well rounded doesnt mean shit to me. Effectiveness does. Who's gonna remember the wristlock when they are being pushed around and pounded by a wrestler?

in addition, you need COMPETITION. a martial art will never be good if its practitioners dont' compete among themselves, or other fighters. thi is why hapkido, and most martial arts, suck.

thru competition, you'll eliminate a lot of useless moves, and keep the ones that work. do this for hapkido, and most of their moves will be discovered useless.

where ppl actually SPAR, before commenting on grappling

Again a fool emerges and barks off his/her ignorance.

Have u ever fought someone thoroughly trained in Hapkido.

I doubt it.

They would show u unimaginable pain. There is a reason why eye gouges and fish hooking is not accepted in MMA.

But if all u care about is competition, so be it. Im sure your a real winner with over 1300 posts...

Back