Hanging heavy bag

LongTooth

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on hanging a heavy bag.

I'm 140kg so I want to get the heaviest bag I can find. (I'm slow and hit hard, and want to work on my speed).

The garage ceiling support I want to hang it from looks like this. Here's another photo and another for reference.

I found an adaptor to bolt it to the wood that looks like this.

My question is: can a heavy bag be hung from this in a way that won't destroy the ceiling? Any tips suggestions etc?

I am not handy, anything I touch breaks. So this isn't advice. But when I got a heavy bag as a kid my stepfather hung it by drilling into the ceiling support bar your pointing to and it was never an issue. Caveats: I was a kid so the bag wasnt taking as much movement, also the bag was big but maybe smaller than you are getting. But I think hanging from that spot will work. The manufacturer might also have a guide on suggestions for hanging on different materials. Also, depending on the size of the bag you might need multiple mounting points. (Like two chains to two different of those ceiling crossbars.)

Edit: the bag is long gone now but the ceiling is fine 30 years later.

Depending on the weight of the bag and how much sudden jarring impact you're going to put on it, you may have to brace a few of the 4x4s together. So that the one single beam isn't taking all the shock force. It will eventually find a weak point and vibrate something loose.

I---I---I
I---I---I
I---I---I
I---I---I

Terrible diagram but some brace blocks between each beam. At least 2 on each side.
And if you can put a 360 swivel on the attachment, it will ease some of the torque on that single eyelet. Will your bag reach the ground?

But when I got a heavy bag as a kid my stepfather hung it by drilling into the ceiling support bar your pointing to and it was never an issue. Caveats: I was a kid so the bag wasnt taking as much movement, also the bag was big but maybe smaller than you are getting. But I think hanging from that spot will work. The manufacturer might also have a guide on suggestions for hanging on different materials. Also, depending on the size of the bag you might need multiple mounting points. (Like two chains to two different of those ceiling crossbars.)

Thanks, MT5
Depending on the weight of the bag and how much sudden jarring impact you're going to put on it, you may have to brace a few of the 4x4s together. So that the one single beam isn't taking all the shock force. It will eventually find a weak point and vibrate something loose.

I---I---I
I---I---I
I---I---I
I---I---I

Terrible diagram but some brace blocks between each beam. At least 2 on each side.
And if you can put a 360 swivel on the attachment, it will ease some of the torque on that single eyelet. Will your bag reach the ground?

Thanks, Fahcough. I see your point about bracing the beams. Definitely will get a 360 swivel. I think the bag won't reach the ground.

Thanks, MT5

Thanks, Fahcough. I see your point about bracing the beams. Definitely will get a 360 swivel. I think the bag won't reach the ground.
The swinging is going to put extra stress and flex on the wood so touching ground would stop alot of it. Or if it was anchored with a water bag / elastic cord.

The swinging is going to put extra stress and flex on the wood so touching ground would stop alot of it. Or if it was anchored with a water bag / elastic cord.
Also if it is six inches or less (roughly) from the floor you can put an old tire on the floor with the bag hanging in the center and it'll keep it pretty stable but still give you a little movement. Low tech, though. ;)

Back