Hanging a Heavy Bag in my garage

thanks I know I'm a nut so thanks for putting up with me.

I screwed an eyebolt through the roof of my garage into the beam and hung my 100 pound everlast bag. That bitch ripped out of the support beam. I hung it back up, and it fell again. Then I bought a stand, and my nylon straps broke on the fucking bag.

It's a miracle that bitch didn't land on my foot after 3 falls. I can't win for losing.

I screwed an eyebolt through the roof of my garage into the beam and hung my 100 pound everlast bag. That bitch ripped out of the support beam. I hung it back up, and it fell again. Then I bought a stand, and my nylon straps broke on the fucking bag.

It's a miracle that bitch didn't land on my foot after 3 falls. I can't win for losing.

Thanks for your cautionary tale.

Also I've had the straps rip on the bag before too. I think it was sun worn from being outside.

the heavier bags always seen to self destruct quicker. chains and buckles wear through, and the buckles cut the nylon straps. i have resorted to wrapping everything in cloth and duct tape. duct tape makes everything better.

Gonna bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Just moved into a new house, and I want to hang a heavy bag in the basement. The beams are exposed, but the ceiling is very low (about 6.5ft). I'm looking for a way to hang the bag without it dragging on the floor.

What I'm currently thinking is just drilling an eye bolt horizontally through one of the beams. Nice and simple. I figured I'd post and see if anyone has any better ideas/suggestions on how to support it without having everything that suspends it being too long. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to get the bag at the right height, especially if I wanna rig it with anything fancy like joist hangers.

Gonna bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Just moved into a new house, and I want to hang a heavy bag in the basement. The beams are exposed, but the ceiling is very low (about 6.5ft). I'm looking for a way to hang the bag without it dragging on the floor.

What I'm currently thinking is just drilling an eye bolt horizontally through one of the beams. Nice and simple. I figured I'd post and see if anyone has any better ideas/suggestions on how to support it without having everything that suspends it being too long. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to get the bag at the right height, especially if I wanna rig it with anything fancy like joist hangers.

wrap the chains over the beam so you get the bag up as high as possible. I like my bags hung up high enough to where I'm hitting the harder parts of the bag.

wrap the chains over the beam so you get the bag up as high as possible. I like my bags hung up high enough to where I'm hitting the harder parts of the bag.

Ha, at this point I just wanna make sure it'll be high enough that I can punch something at least above my waist! Thanks for the suggestion, you think that'll cause faster wear or will it be fine?

Ha, at this point I just wanna make sure it'll be high enough that I can punch something at least above my waist! Thanks for the suggestion, you think that'll cause faster wear or will it be fine?

all depends, most people, even martial artist I've been around don't really even move the bag that much. Hard to say without knowing all the variables. the chain would chew on the wood some so hopefully it can take that . Also, sometimes, when hanging my bags with an eye bold, I would take the s links that hold the bag and double them back up to the top, that will shorten it up too. My old mentor used to own a store with big beams to put the bags on, never had a problem with the strength of the beams. But when I was young, oh, I used to tear bags apart. One time, at my old MMA gym, hearing me floor another bag the owner screamed "you're tearing my gym apart!". I think he was joking.

Last edited:
Haha I'm just gonna hope my landlord doesn't notice the new hole and damaged wood.

Haha I'm just gonna hope my landlord doesn't notice the new hole and damaged wood.

You should put a rubbery pad or something over the part of the wood where the chains will go. Maybe a tough plastic or metal plate underneath that

Then you could make sleeves for the chains themselves out of cloth to dampen the jangling sound (by a lot)

Or do whatever

LIke this

7bp-20uubo.jpg

You should put a rubbery pad or something over the part of the wood where the chains will go. Maybe a tough plastic or metal plate underneath that

Then you could make sleeves for the chains themselves out of cloth to dampen the jangling sound (by a lot)

Or do whatever

Good suggestions, I was planning on doing that. Especially the cloth sleeves, I like to work out early sometimes.

I drills into concrete ceilings and put bag in my apartments using and expandable,screw - he'll did my landlords bitch lol

Would you guys recommend this method of hanging a bag in the garage? Or have any of you used this method of just screwing an eyebolt into the ceiling to hang the bag? My rafters and supports are not exposed.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-hang-a-punching-bag/index.html

dmcv105_eye-bolt_lead.jpg

I want to be able to circle around it, so the crappy Everlast stands are out of the question. I would prefer one of the corner stands that fit at a right angle to the corner of the walls, but those are too expensive.

Can anyone make a recommendation for this method? Or any suggestions before i go drill holes in my garage?
Would you guys recommend this method of hanging a bag in the garage? Or have any of you used this method of just screwing an eyebolt into the ceiling to hang the bag? My rafters and supports are not exposed.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-hang-a-punching-bag/index.html

dmcv105_eye-bolt_lead.jpg

I want to be able to circle around it, so the crappy Everlast stands are out of the question. I would prefer one of the corner stands that fit at a right angle to the corner of the walls, but those are too expensive.

Can anyone make a recommendation for this method? Or any suggestions before i go drill holes in my garage?
http://shop.vacurack.com/product-tag/bag-station/

Back