Handwraps: How to choose?

JZT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for handwraps, but I'd like to know if I should look for specific details, like the size (if theres any), the elasticity, the brand, etc... or is it one of those ''standard'' items

always depends on what you like, just get some normal boxing hand wraps for example I like a little bit thicker material

always depends on what you like, just get some normal boxing hand wraps for example I like a little bit thicker material

Any things I should be looking for in particular? This is pretty new to me.

For your first pair I'd just go for a cheap pair of long Mexican hand wraps.

The Mexican part means that they have a bit of elasticity to them. This makes them easier to wrap but might also make for a slightly softer wrap.
Don't buy anything less than 180" length. That is the standard length but some of us prefer even longer wraps.

A pair of 180" Mexicans shouldn't cost you more than 5-6 bucks and they would give you a popular and very common reference point for what you want in the future.

Screw brand for now. Just get what's cheap.

Last edited:
You may want different wraps depending on the purpose. For the most part, using boxing-style bag or sparring gloves (which should be what you use the majority of the time), people tend to use 180 inch "Mexican" wraps. Mexican wraps are the stretchy ones. There are also non-stretchy ones that some prefer, though they're not as common.

For 4oz MMA gloves (or the safety/training glove variety) shorter wraps (120inch for the most part) would be better. Since you're going to want as little wrap on your palms as possible, the shorter wrap will have less "excess" over the rest of your hand/arm.

Of course, it doesn't just end there. Even within the stretchy wraps, there are differences. Some brands will be stretchier than others, some will be thicker/thinner, some will be wider/narrower.

The good thing? They're generally not expensive. Buy a couple different brands, try them out, and then keep buying the one you prefer.

Back