Hand/Wrist Strength for Stand-Up Fighters

awesome write up.

I think rope pull ups are great too.

Also, I recently watched some of Jens Pulver's training where he does pull ups with tennis balls in his hands and hangs them over the bar. I recently started trying it, makes your forearms burn like hell! If your back gives first, just hang there......!

Dont tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!

*runs away*

HAHAHA god damn hilaroius

i agree though - always use wraps, it will make ur wrists stronger, but will also lead to stress injuries

awesome thread any body have anything to update this thread with?

Here's a new one, friend of mine showed me in his home gym recently.

If you have a pull up bar, preferably a fixed or wall mounted bar. Take a couple of big towels (beach towels where what he used), and wrap the bar (length wise) use as many towels as it takes to get the bar just a little less thick than a soda can, then wrap the towel/bar end to end in duct tape, not super tight, it should still have enough give that you can cinch down your grip. Now try doing some pull-ups! Shit works!

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/lever-shot-smashys-illustrated-guide-levering-813568/

Here's a useful little guide to levering from the Strength and Power peeps..

I've recently tried some of this levering stuff and got some of the CoC hand grippers from Ironmind, along with rope pull-ups and using fat grip dumbells for my workouts... I'll admit that I ought to be more dedicated to the wrist and forearm work, but I'm starting to see some benefits.

Also, does doing forearm work translate into stronger fingers? Or are there specific finger exercises we could be doing... I remember watching an old rock climber doing pull ups with his finger tips (ie. not gripping the bar), I was so amazed...

interesting i have never heard about levering before i am going to try those now.

Use hand wraps and gloves.

Come back to this thread in 5 years when you have bad arthritis and nerve damage in your wrist and hands and try typing 'I wish I had used hand wraps and gloves like foz suggested'

:)

~Foz

Almost 20 years of no hand wraps or gloves and no arthritis or other pain to show for it. Correct technique is the best answer. I see people get torn up with wraps and gloves on, for the exact same reason as people get screwed up hands bare knuckle: craptastic striking technique.

i don't see how grip strength would help in striking at all. wrist strength is what you want to train to increase punching power and prevent injuries. your wrist is the weakest point upon impact, strengthening your wrist would allow a greater transfer of power through to your fist.

the hand is made of multiple small bones. wrapping your hands helps keep those bones from moving away from each other on impact. even with wrapping if you are just starting to hit things your bones and ligaments should be given time to adjust. advising people to go out and hit things without wrapping your hands is very kung-fu but maybe a caveat for only those that have been training for a while should be included with that advice? just starting out you can injure your hands even with proper protection because your bones just aren't used to that kind of impact.

I wrap my hands all the time (boxing), but I don't have any intentions
of ever hitting anyone out on the streets. I keep my punches for in the boxing
ring. Plus I like to protect my hands for playing guitar.

As always correct technique is important no matter what.

Back