Hand Eye Coordination drills for Sparring

FléauDeDieu

Le Parrain
@Blue
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good drills for Hand-Eye coordination? It's something I'm trying to improve on at the moment for sparring and school sparring.

I've looked over Ross Enamit's stuff with throwing racquetballs and juggling them, but does anyone else have other ideas? I know more frequent sparring would help too.

There are a lot of drills with tennis balls out there

Most of those drills are a waste of time. The best way to train hand-eye coodination for boxing is to have a partner throw punches at you and to react to those punches.

Most of those drills are a waste of time. The best way to train hand-eye coodination for boxing is to have a partner throw punches at you and to react to those punches.
how does that help your hand eye coordination?

how does that help your hand eye coordination?
- See the punch with your eyes, catch the punch (with your hand)
- See the punch with your eyes, block the punch
- See the punch with your eyes, catch and counter
- See the punch with your eyes, slip and counter

How does that NOT help your hand-eye coordination?

If you're gonna do bullshit drills like catching tennis balls, you might as well catch punches. How is catching tennis ball more helful than catching punches?

- See the punch with your eyes, catch the punch (with your hand)
- See the punch with your eyes, block the punch
- See the punch with your eyes, catch and counter
- See the punch with your eyes, slip and counter

How does that NOT help your hand-eye coordination?

If you're gonna do bullshit drills like catching tennis balls, you might as well catch punches. How is catching tennis ball more helful than catching punches?
that makes sense. Idk why but when I read your post all I thought was head movement, lol.

Technique drills with partner.

10 rounds of light sparring with someone you can trust.

partnered shadow boxing and punching drills with intensity
i.e. jab catch jab but with the intensity of actually making contact not pulling the shots or aiming a way from the target

I’ve been curious about this topic.

I think it tends to explain a lot more of boxing performance than people think.

Stuff like blocking, parrying, also tracking a moving a target and being able to use a higher percentage of the explosiveness that you have.

In the past I think I’ve been caught up in a mentality of playing it down because it’s hard to measure and put a number on it.

That said I think it needs to be developed young, ideally between 7-12 or 13-15 at the latest.

Rocky Marciano started boxing late but he played baseball all his life before that. I think he got his hand to eye co-ordination from baseball which made learning the boxing skills easier later on.

If you are an adult you may as well just focus on the boxing skills.

Back