Hand control

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Its odd I've found this forum is generally more intelligent due to more thought and less pattern then the military forums.

So going to afghanistan. Apparently not going as a machine gunner. Going with an M4. So stability is king. Glide and shoot is all I'm living for for the next 11 months. So was looking for advice for shooting (when I get back IPSC is my blood, so if you got a carryover for pistols I wouldn't object) Obviously working on getting strong in general but what would help you hold a small weight in your hands (11 lbs with everything on it) up and it will make little circles but what will help make those as small as possible.

Would controlled exercises like levering actually help because they train your arm to hold something steady?

I'm also thinking an OHP would logically help just to make it use less musculature to hold it up, therefore giving more refined control potential (if this is wrong tell me)

If you got an exercise that would logically improve my ability to groucho walk with 80-100 lbs on me and keep it smooth I would appreciate that as well.

anything you do will help you improve your stablity. Don't forget that the key to accurate fire is as much providing a stable base as trigger control.

Grip strength work isn't going to hurt you, neither is any kind of upper body compound lifts. Being able to control your breathing and heart rate will also provide benifits(cardio work) I would stick with a simple program based on compound lifts which will cover as much ground as anything. The better overall shape you go into the feild in the more successful your going to be.

Grip strength exercises, Wrist stability and strength excersizes, squats for multi level stability from standing to crouching, pullups for a strong back to hold the gun stiff in your hands, along with the transferring muscles from the back that are used like the bicep, tricep, delts, and traps potentially.
Just my 2 cents.

I think you'll find that stability is less of an issue than you think. At ranges that you will engage from standing unsupported positions, stability will be far less important than reaction time. If you have difficulty keeping sights on target when shooting out to 100 yards unsupported, then get to an Appleseed (Appleseed Project Home) - they are free for Active Duty military and will work the heck out of your fundamentals.

Once you get towards longer ranges, you'll almost always have some level of physical support for your rifle and/or your body.

Rather than training body parts to better support your rifle, you'd be better off simply spending more time each day dry firing and working on proper sight picture, sight alignment, breath control, and trigger control (this advice applies to training for IPSC, IDPA, or any shooting sport in addition to your military career).

I think you'll find that stability is less of an issue than you think. At ranges that you will engage from standing unsupported positions, stability will be far less important than reaction time. If you have difficulty keeping sights on target when shooting out to 100 yards unsupported, then get to an Appleseed (Appleseed Project Home) - they are free for Active Duty military and will work the heck out of your fundamentals.

Once you get towards longer ranges, you'll almost always have some level of physical support for your rifle and/or your body.

Rather than training body parts to better support your rifle, you'd be better off simply spending more time each day dry firing and working on proper sight picture, sight alignment, breath control, and trigger control (this advice applies to training for IPSC, IDPA, or any shooting sport in addition to your military career).
I agree with what your saying but more stability means the more tired you are the less you wobble. So still trying to get ideas. Thinking about it some more squats and weight lunges to me make the most sense of anything. Good thing I'm already doing squats, should have been doing the lunges. All the hand work I've been doing as it helps carry my Machine gun.

Back