Hamstring pain while benching?

datadog

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a problem while benching. When doing weight which challenges me I have a tendency for my left hamstring to cramp. This has been reoccurring but only seems to happen on the bench press. The pain subsides after the set is over and it doesn't seem to linger the way a cramp in the calf does (it's 4 hours later and my leg feels fine). However during the set it becomes extremely painful, my lifting partners like to make fun of me sticking my leg out to ease the pain.

First I figured it must be dehydration so I began making sure that I took in enough water throughout the day. I've also been taking cytromax and making sure I have enough of that coming in. Hopefully I've gotten enough water in during the off day (bar bench is on Monday).

Next I tried to dynamic stretching after warming up. Kicking my legs, trying to get the hamstring stretched out. Today I even did squats without the bar just to get my legs stretched out but it still happened.

Could this be an issue other than cramps, or is it that I'm just pushing too hard? Any advice would be appreciated (well, other than things like stop lifting

I knew a few people that had this same problem. YOu just need to relax more.....it would seem you are bringing in bodyparts that dont need to be helping you on big lifts without knowing it. Keep your feet flat on the floor and dont move around. Press your back into the bench and bring in your elbows. If you try and make sure to keep your form then you should be fine.

BAS_FAN said:
I knew a few people that had this same problem. YOu just need to relax more.....it would seem you are bringing in bodyparts that dont need to be helping you on big lifts without knowing it. Keep your feet flat on the floor and dont move around. Press your back into the bench and bring in your elbows. If you try and make sure to keep your form then you should be fine.

OMG Sherdog rocks (an intelligent answer in minutes).

Thank you Bas, that really seems to make sense considering it only happens on my high set. I wonder if I'm trying to get too much into the set or if the high weight is just freaking me as I take it off the rack. I'll practice trying to calm down and let the arms do their job.

Thanks!

To add to what BF stated you can also jog for about 3 minutes, and then do some ham stretches before benching. I know of a few guys that had this issue. Jogging for about 3 to 4 minutes and then stretching hams after jogging helped them alot.

Wolverine
///

Ive seen people pull their lat, calves, traps and even feet mucles during bench. Main thing is to just focus on the lift and dont shimmy the weight up. If its not gunna go up with good form then its not gunna go up.

Wolverine said:
To add to what BF stated you can also jog for about 3 minutes, and then do some ham stretches before benching. I know of a few guys that had this issue. Jogging for about 3 to 4 minutes and then stretching hams after jogging helped them alot.

Wolverine
///

I always do a five minutes on the treadmill or eliptical before stretching. This is one of the things that had me confused till Bas's reply.

The best part, I told me wife about his reply and she goes "well yeah, you were trying too hard". Thanks Dear!

datadog said:
I always do a five minutes on the treadmill or eliptical before stretching.

Eliptical? What are you, a soccer mom?

Sorry, someone had to ruin this thread with a worthless flame.

Any chance this is Sciatica? Since he complains that it only happens during a bench press, and not when doing actual leg exercises, perhaps there is nothing wrong with the hamstring, it could be a nerve issue due to spinal compression. The bench press doen't compress the lower back too much, but the supporting muscles might during the press, especially if the lower back muscles are strained or weak.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/sciatica/sciatic_nerve01.html

Certain pressure on the spine can cause pain to radiate down the back of a leg.

Just a thought -- you might want to mention it to your doctor.

it's part of stabilization... you are pushing with all you're worth and your body tries to recruit all the muscle fiber it can. if you think that's crap, next time you bench, put your feet up on the end of the bench. it's quite a difference.

the stretch/warmup advice is good.

Benching with your feet up on the bench is a bodybuilding creatin and is worth about as much. Sure, you're ass wont hurt but you are sure to strain something else.....the bench press is not a balance excersize. The stronger the base, then more you'll press.....plain and simple.
Dont ever bench press with your feet on the bench....and if you see anyone doing it, push them over.

#1can said:
Eliptical? What are you, a soccer mom?

Sorry, someone had to ruin this thread with a worthless flame.

ROFL

Wow, that was my first flame on Sherdog... I'll remember it always.

The eliptical hurts my knees the least. I used to do the rower but it started to aggrevate my already wimpy knees (@#%@ meniscus), so I tend to warm up on items that don't stress it.

I lift in a military gym so we have tons of treadmills, elipicals, a couple of steppers and tons of bikes (used to be mandatory for the yearly fitness test). So, nothing too many to warm up on such as wrestling bears or anything...

Grady said:
Any chance this is Sciatica? Since he complains that it only happens during a bench press, and not when doing actual leg exercises, perhaps there is nothing wrong with the hamstring, it could be a nerve issue due to spinal compression. The bench press doen't compress the lower back too much, but the supporting muscles might during the press, especially if the lower back muscles are strained or weak.

Thanks Grady, I'll keep on eye on this. I suspect it's what Bas Fan said that I'm straining too hard because to me the weight feels heavy. This only happens on my heavy set, so I proably am more relaxed on the first few sets since I know I can handle that weight. Now I just have to figure out how to relax when a house (okay, a little shack) is coming down at me.

I'll keep this in mind if relaxing and focusing on shoulders in the bench fail.

Thanks for the replies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back