Half Guard is the most important aspect of ground fighting bar none.

From the bottom, it is the most critical battle. You are half way between sweeping someone or them passing to side control or mount.

Really weird. I feel like my spider guard is much better than my HG, but when having hard rolls with higher belts, I only ever get change out of them from my HG, and they say my HG gives them a lot of trouble.

It's such a great position. I feel like I can just fall back on it whenever. Even if I don't use it for a few weeks, I can just HG and feel at home.

It's also really good on the knees (bar the odd knee bar).

everyone knows the most important position in ground fighting is , Crackhead Control. duh

half guard is the most important position for a few reasons

1) you can sweep effectively from every situation in half guard

2) you can get to half guard VERY easily from almost any posistion

3) in mma it's a favorite position to GnP, so therefore if you want to compete mma you better have a rock solid half guard

4) if you have a strong half guard, it makes getting back to full guard even easier, making your guard game that much tighter

IMO having a good side control defense & offense is more important, but everyone has a different game and different values.

I think its the most underrated position. I would say that the majority of blue belts still have no concept of what half guard is all about.

Back