Half Guard is the most important aspect of ground fighting bar none.

NovaUniaoWesty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's always only a step away when you're on your back.

If someone is passing your guard, you will very likely get them in half guard in the transition.

If someone is mounting you have a good shot of getting it.

You can keep great control and develope amazing transitions to the top game if you work it right.

LOVE THE HALF GUARD!!!

Anyone else agree?

I SHOULD HAVE SAID POSITION INSTEAD OF ASPECT. MY BAD =(

The half guard is not the most important (you can't really pinpoint any one position as being the most important, IMO), but it is my personal favorite go-to position whenever I'm in any kind of trouble in any position, specifically Jeff Glover style deep half. I can get out of so much trouble even against much better fighters using the deep half.

i love half guard and i love being there but it'd be an uphill battle to convince everybody that it's the most important aspect of the game

in a way it's implying somebody without a good halfguard game won't succeed, which i'm not sure is necessarily true.

If someone is passing your guard, you will very likely get them in half guard in the transition.

You can keep great control and develope amazing transitions to the top game if you work it right.

LOVE THE HALF GUARD!!!

Anyone else agree?

Me too.

I can punch, elbow from a dominant position.

Key locks are always there.

Bottom guy goes for an underhook, brabo the living sh*% out of them.

Like leglocks? Back spin into a knee bar or a rolling toe hold.

LOVE THE (TOP) HALF GUARD.

I like half guard a lot.

I'm not sure it is the most important aspect, but I will say that you can't really have a complete bottom game without a dangerous half-guard.

half guard is probably the most important transition position (IMO) but since you have to use it as a means to get to the submission or to something else, I would not call it the most important. I mean I don't think enough people could agree on one position with BJJ evolving the way it is but i do agree that the half guard is getting A LOT more play now that more styles are being developed. I mean I roll with guys who pull to half guard in stead of full guard just to sweep or go to deep half and sweep.

But i do see your point. And i'm not discrediting the fact that there are submissions accessible from half guard such as much of what the 10th planet guys do and what not but in and of itself i think sweeping in your main option.

im a fan of full guard but that's the 10th planet talking...

Half guard is now an extremely powerful sweeping position. As far as submissions from the bottom of half guard, well there's not as much as open or closed guard.

im a fan of full guard but that's the 10th planet talking...

Didn't Eddie say he considers HG to be the most important position in Jiu Jitsu in MTRG?

I thought that was the one thing I absoluetly agreed with him on.

In my short (3 week) BJJ career, half-guard is my favorite so far. Top or bottom doesn't matter. Just last night I learned a new pass and a new submission from top half. It works great for me as well because I'm short and therefore have short legs and closing my guard around bigger opponents is often times not very efficient for me.

I've been saying for a long time that half guard is the answer to most of the worlds problems. It will feed the starving in Africa, house the homeless, and bring peace to the middle east.

Women will swoon, men will raise a glass, and world peace (as we know it) will come to fruition.

G-d bless Gordo!

I just lost a match where I pulled half guard and my opponent passed. And then I regained half guard, and then he passed again. And then I regained half guard, and then he passed again. And then I regained half guard, and then he passed again. And then I regained half guard, and then he passed again. And then I regained half guard, and then he passed again. I lost 18-0. :(

I haven't learned to use it much, but I sometimes try different things anyways during rolling. So I can't much account for it, but I do use it like anybody else to regain full guard.

Are you a recent bluebelt or purplebelt? It seems like every new blue or purple goes through a half-guard "phase" where they think it's the end all be all of positions.

I hate to break it to you but it's just a tool in a toolbox :)

You'll see guys basing their whole game off forcing their opponent to pull half guard and then passing , so yes, I agree.Almost EVERY1 feels comfy going to half it's just always there for the taking. Every position is important , but knowing the half guard like the back of your hand is fucking MANDATORY.

Last edited:
In my short (3 week) BJJ career, half-guard is my favorite so far. Top or bottom doesn't matter. Just last night I learned a new pass and a new submission from top half. It works great for me as well because I'm short and therefore have short legs and closing my guard around bigger opponents is often times not very efficient for me.

Can you share what you learned? I am among the shortest in my club so I am basically always against taller, lankier people.

I really like halfguard sweeps
once you get that underhook its so easy

LOVE THE HALF GUARD!!!

Anyone else agree?

Though I don't think that's the most important aspect of ground fighting, bar none :D , I do agree 100% with all your points.

I think that my Half guard passing is the best aspect of my game, and in the same time my bottom half come closer.

Plus, I think that no matter who you are, sooner or later you're gonna end on bottom half, so you'll better be prepared and at least decent when that moment comes.

Are you a recent bluebelt or purplebelt? It seems like every new blue or purple goes through a half-guard "phase" where they think it's the end all be all of positions.

I hate to break it to you but it's just a tool in a toolbox :)

lol. i would agree but i still enjoy the half guard. and in all of this i am referring to bottom position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back