Half Guard getting on your side choked with Guillotine

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So lately I have been playing around with half guard sweeps such as the "X-Guard" series. I know the basics of sweeping from half guard, getting on your side, not flat on your back, and getting your opponent off base. However when I roll with people that are good with head/arm chokes, I get in trouble when I switch hips on to my side. Every time I get to my side to shoot me under hook and to trap their leg, they reach for my neck and pressure me with chokes. Usually I keep my chin down but most of the times, I would have to ditch my under hook or the arm that is shooting for their leg to defend this choke. Then I get flat on my back again. Then I come straight back up to my side shoot for the under hook and leg control but again I get trouble with head/arm chokes. Its like a battle from half guard for like 10 minutes on positioning.

Does anyone know any minute techniques that would help me establish control and sweep even if they try to go for the sub? Sorry for the rant bro skis.

I usually try to keep the underhook low when I'm not doing much. I only put it high under his arm pit when I want to start attacking, like to take his back or just shift his weight off of me before I dive under him. When I'm biding my time and I want to stall for a bit while maintaining the underhook, I just leave it around his waist, almost on top of my own leg, so there's virtually no space to try to d'arce me.

So you don't get people trying to guillotining you when you get on your side and look towards them?

Ill use that hand positioning tip. Thanks!

It should be very difficult for someone to guillotine choke you from on top of half guard...definetly possible but as long as you defense is tight just keep attacking.

you shouldnt be able to get choked in that position if your head is tucked in to..well...his crotch the only thing you should be worrying about is your arm because you will easy to arm bar if you dont pay attention .

i had the same problem you did for awhile.

luckily on of our brown belts was nice enough to give me some pointers during class one day. i deff would suggest picking someones brain after class as it's really your best option.

but anyway now i keep my arms in and head tucked under his crotch. chicken wing my top arm to scoot out get the under hook and instead of wrapping it around his body i keep it low around his thigh (watch you don't get a handful of his wedding tackle). then i come up on my underside elbow to give myself the momentum to either dive under him and look for the foot or grab his knee to bring him the opposite way over my torso. of course then attack the leg i have triangled to attack his base and sweep him witch ever way i feel is fitting.

Its not like a full half-guard. I have one instep in and the other leg is around his far leg if that helps any.

So you don't get people trying to guillotining you when you get on your side and look towards them?

Ill use that hand positioning tip. Thanks!

Not so much because there's no space to get a deep overhook. I have my arm tight against his waist or upper thigh and my leg is up against my underhooking arm. I only get people trying to darce me if I leave the underhook high. Then the guy can get a good overhook and potentially get under my neck with it.

keep your head low unless your bottom hand is near your head for protection when turning to your side

Not so much because there's no space to get a deep overhook. I have my arm tight against his waist or upper thigh and my leg is up against my underhooking arm. I only get people trying to darce me if I leave the underhook high. Then the guy can get a good overhook and potentially get under my neck with it.

I like to block the D'Arce/brabo with a high underhook, actually.

I like to block the D'Arce/brabo with a high underhook, actually.

Interesting. Granted, it's safe if you can maintain it, but if I stay with the high underhook, my opponent eventually gets a good whizzer and starts applying pressure and I can't keep the underhook high. Once it collapses, I'm getting threatened with the choke. If I keep the underhook tight to his waist or upper thigh with my leg directly below it touching my arm, it's impossible to get an overhook. There's just no room for it.

Back