Had to stop a dog fight last night.

As an owner of a bully (Am. Bulldog x Boxer), I honestly would be fine with special licensing. Firstly, I know I would get it because I am absolutely in control of my dog. Secondly, there are a lot of owners who can't control their dogs. Just yesterday, I was walking my dog, and this lady couldn't control her pit, it sprinted straight for my dog, and I intercepted it. Fortunately, the dog was super friendly, but that sort of shit is unacceptable. That lady should've had a pomeranian.

Agreed, I own an american staffordshire terrier and I think it is the best solution. I think a bad owner is really risky

My Catahoula used to get in fights at the dog park. Needless to say, I stopped taking her after I got bit on two separate occasions.

My Catahoula used to get in fights at the dog park. Needless to say, I stopped taking her after I got bit on two separate occasions.

Dog parks are shady. Sorry to hear you were bitten. Was it by a pit bull?

You have to assume that there could be a trigger that sets a pitbull off on another dog though. They have always been bred for animal aggression. This comes from the days of bull baiting and pit fights. You can certainly socialize them and they will be fine. However you need to be prepared financially and mentally to take responsibility should the dog attack another animal.

Yeah, but more importantly. You gotta recognize which situations you have to avoid and never let your dog escape. That

Dog parks suck. There's too many factors I can't control and if some dog is trying to dominate my dog, she doesn't take too kindly to it. I prefer to let her play with dogs whose owners I know in a more controlled environment.

Nowadays, if some dog is trying to mount my dog or any other form of bad behavior, I don't even wait for the owner to correct his dog. I just do it myself. The way I see it, if I'm letting dogs walk all over mine, then my dog loses faith in me and will start to take matters into her own hands. It's kind of our unwritten agreement. She avoids confrontation, and I handle it for her in return.

Dog parks suck. There's too many factors I can't control and if some dog is trying to dominate my dog, she doesn't take too kindly to it. I prefer to let her play with dogs whose owners I know in a more controlled environment.

Nowadays, if some dog is trying to mount my dog or any other form of bad behavior, I don't even wait for the owner to correct his dog. I just do it myself.

Thats the best idea. Ill take my dog to the dog park if there are no other dogs there. If one shows up I leave or go to the enclosed area where he can smell the distraction (other dog) but they cant access eachother and work on training. If more than one shows up I leave.

Dog parks are shady. Sorry to hear you were bitten. Was it by a pit bull?

The first time was a pit bull, a big bully one. That time was my fault, I was breaking the fight up from an entirely wrong angle. The second time was some sort of mutt. Admittedly, my dog was the instigator both times.

The first time was a pit bull, a big bully one. That time was my fault, I was breaking the fight up from an entirely wrong angle. The second time was some sort of mutt. Admittedly, my dog was the instigator both times.

Not the dog parks that were the issue. It was you. Train your dog. If your dog can't be around other dogs in a neutral setting like the dog park then its completely an owner issue.

Not the dog parks that were the issue. It was you. Train your dog. If your dog can't be around other dogs in a neutral setting like the dog park then its completely an owner issue.

In his defense he never said that the dog park was the issue. Only that he was bitten twice and could not go. It seems that he has already acknowledged the issue and taken the action that atleast removes all involved parties from risk.

My dog parks are shady in reply to his statement was with my incorrect assumption that other dogs were the issue for him, as this relates to my dog park experience.

In his defense he never said that the dog park was the issue. Only that he was bitten twice and could not go. It seems that he has already acknowledged the issue and taken the action that atleast removes all involved parties from risk.

My dog parks are shady in reply to his statement was with my incorrect assumption that other dogs were the issue for him, as this relates to my dog park experience.

I got ya. Some dog parks are amazing and some not so much, but none I've ever been to allow aggressive animals and most frown upon non neutered which is why I don't go super often to the close ones. However it remains that in a neutral space a dog shouldn't be aggressive. Some breeds will always have aggression in the home space to intruders but in a neutral area that is training.

I got ya. Some dog parks are amazing and some not so much, but none I've ever been to allow aggressive animals and most frown upon non neutered which is why I don't go super often to the close ones. However it remains that in a neutral space a dog shouldn't be aggressive. Some breeds will always have aggression in the home space to intruders but in a neutral area that is training.

Agreed, there should not be any aggressive dogs in a dog park. Socialization more so than training from a young age is critical.

Did I ever blame the dog parks? Lol, go scold some other anonymous person on the internet.

Perhaps you should have worked on some training and socialization eh?

And you're a bit vague. Better to say I took my highly aggressive dog into a situation where I couldn't control it and it surprise started a fight. Oh and I got bitten and thats why I don't go to dog parks.:icon_conf

I don't understand why you are going after Starck when he seems to have already addressed the issue?

I don't understand why you are going after Starck when he seems to have already addressed the issue?

Because I don't really see avoidance as addressing it. Wouldn't you agree that poor owners are the reason that dogs like Pitts etc get much of their reputation? Poor owners that don't recognize that they are poor owners?

Because I don't really see avoidance as addressing it. Wouldn't you agree that poor owners are the reason that dogs like Pitts etc get much of their reputation? Poor owners that don't recognize that they are poor owners?

Well...when a dog isn't socialized early, there's only so much that can be done to get rid of dog aggression IMO. I'm not sure if that's the case with Starck, but removal of the dog from a dangerous situation is the obvious first step regardless.

Personally, my dog doesn't start fights at the dog park, but she will fight back, and quite ferociously. I don't think I can train her fighting instinct out of her at this age (I didn't have her as a puppy). The best thing I can do is prevent unruly dogs from getting near her, so I avoid the dog park altogether.

Perhaps you should have worked on some training and socialization eh?

And you're a bit vague. Better to say I took my highly aggressive dog into a situation where I couldn't control it and it surprise started a fight. Oh and I got bitten and thats why I don't go to dog parks.:icon_conf

You're being the silly one, for making such specific and drastic conclusions based upon a self-described vague description. Either way, I'm not going to further explain the situation and the time leading up to it, given your prejudicial statements.

You're being the silly one, for making such specific and drastic conclusions based upon a self-described vague description. Either way, I'm not going to further explain the situation and the time leading up to it, given your prejudicial statements.

You sound like my dad. Are you a lawyer by any chance?

Back