Had to put my dog down. I couldn't be there

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dogstarman, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

So my Golden retriever, Lucky, passed away just now. I feel like an asshole because I am away on a work trip. My wife had to make the decision. He suffered a stroke a could not use his back legs anymore. The Mri and physical therapy were going to be really expensive and the vet even said there is no guarantee that he would make a full recovery especially since he already had hip dysplasia.

I found Lucky in a Craigslist ad give away. He was in a small town south of Dallas. My son and I drove to get him one Saturday morning. We go there at 8 am and when the lady handed him over it was with a rope around his neck and he was covered in mud. He was so skinny you could see his ribs. I looked at his pathetic state loaded him into the crate in the back of my truck and he just pissed all over the place. I had never seen a dog do that. I think he was beaten as well. I asked the lady if Lucky had any possessions. A toy, a bowl, a collar, a leash, or bed/blanket. Nope she said. My boy was 5 at the time. I loaded everyone up and I got the fuck out of there as soon as I could. We fixed him up. He had some underlying health issues we got straightened out and fattened him up.

He was the most mellow golden I had ever owned. I know everyone says that but I grew up with Goldens. I bred and raised Goldens when I was younger. They are all cool dogs but Lucky was gentle and mellow. He just wanted to be with you all the time. He was perfect for my young children.

So we just lost my other Krusty Pizza recently. We got him through that depression only to have him stroke. I am not a very religious man. But I would hope that they are greeting each other now running around and nipping at each like they used to.

I am so sad and depressed. I can't tell you how much I hate not being there for my Lucky and my family. We just lost one dog and now we lost this guy. I hate my job. I'm just in a shitty ass hotel room sad as hell.

[​IMG]

JSN, cigano, CatchOmega and 17 others like this.
  2. weich

weich Silver Belt

Sorry to hear that. I think you and your wife made the right decision. E-bro hug.

3. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Saku Spring Staff Member Forum Administrator

4. OMGstreetfight

OMGstreetfight Fred Loya Insurance shill

Losing a dog is rough. Losing a golden is horrible. Every golden I have ever met has grown on me. They are happiness incarnate.

I'll pour one out for lucky tonight

5. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

Sorry to hear it bud. Hang in there.

LaYLa & SaDiE and Archie Goodwin like this.
  6. boris the hobo

boris the hobo Yellow Belt

Aww man...I'm sorry to hear that. When one of my little guys goes, I'm going to be a fucking mess. Sounds like he's in a better place though. Remember the good times dude.

7. NaughtyBoy

NaughtyBoy Silver Belt

You need to remember him just as cool as he looks on that pic. I couldn't erased from my mind the moment that I put him in the hands of the pet doctor because he needed to be put down.

8. DeepCover

DeepCover Brown Belt Platinum Member

Sorry to hear it, man. I've been there too and it's one of the worst things to go through. Dogs bring so much joy to a person's life. I couldn't image going very long without one.

LaYLa & SaDiE likes this.
  9. DevilsLettuce

DevilsLettuce is a bit of a douchebag Banned

Damn dude... First Krusty Pizza and now this?? I remember that thread.... I'm sorry dude. My old dog Tag died this summer and I've still got pictures of him all over the place.. It sucks.

Fuck that alone in a hotel shit too. Goddamn.

10. Monopoly

Monopoly Out of mana.

RIP Lucky
    I'm so sorry. He was gorgeous and goldens are the loveliest dogs around.
    Your dogs are totally running around playing with each other in dog heaven now.

Dogstarman and Archie Goodwin like this.
  11. Killer Whale

Killer Whale Orange Belt

After reading many many posts here on sherdog I have come to the conclusion that there is one thing that 99% of sherdoggers can agree on and that is our deep love for our amazingly awesome dogs and pets. I'm really sorry for your loss and only you can understand your connection with Lucky. I lost my dog Tito last year and I still haven't got over it, there is a very deep deep sadness that is lying there and I don't know if it will ever go away, but that deep sadness also reminds me of how much I loved him and how important he was and still is to me. The best material gift I have ever received to this day is a book that you can make with all the photos of your dog through the apple store. Mine starts with a photo of his parents and then him as a puppy, then a timeline progression as we aged together and then an amazing shot that just is 'him' in a photo at the end. I LOVE THIS BOOK TO REMEMBER HIM. Truly sorry for your loss. P.S. you might want to gather some photos and have someone else piece it together, it is too hard to do by yourself and seeing only the finished product is just awesome and heartwarming.

12. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Silver Belt

sorry to hear that.. i hate seeing pet animals suffer.. you did the right thing

13. TeTe

TeTe Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. RIP Lucky

14. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

I am sorry to hear that :(

8 days ago, we had to put down our cat. 3 years ago, we put down my other feline friend of many years :(

It does not get easier. Explaining to my 4 year old daughters is the hardest part aside from my fiancee and I sitting with them as they do the injections.

I am pretty much of mind to not want anymore pets for awhile. In fact, I remember when I was 8 our cat died and my Dad was adamantly against any more cats despite our asking. I always thought he didn't like cats because he was so dead against it. But when I was 12 my sister was moving to university and snuck a cat into her room 2 months before she moved. She warned us all not to tell dad, but we kept sneaking into her room to play with the kitten and eventually he wondered why we all kept sneaking into her room.

Ill never forget when he opened the door and we were busted. He saw the cat and said "Oh NO!", and I thought we were in for it, but then instead he sat down giving the cat ear rubs and chin rubs with genuine affection, and I could see he loved cats and I asked again if we could get a cat since she was taking him to university and the answer was still no.

20 years later, I completely understand

15. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Yeah man. I understand that mentality. I've had dogs my whole entire life. I can't imagine a house without a dog. It will be so empty but I think I'm not going to rush and get another one. I lost 2 guys in a matter of months. I've had dogs die. I am ok with it. But this summer has been a rough one. I can't stomach losing another one.

Archie Goodwin and biscuitsbrah like this.
  16. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

Yeah. My daughters are not quite 4 yet so they don't understand. Despite trying over and over again. Trying to explain the word died is impossible.

They keep saying "Theia died mommy?" to my fiancee and following it with "When can we get Theia from the doctor?"

They don't even fully understand "Never coming home again".

17. JoshTehV

JoshTehV Purple Belt

Sorry about your dog dude. Try to find some solace in the fact that you gave him the best care and love possible.

I honestly took a while to read your entire post because it reminds me of the time I couldn't be there when my cat of was passing when I was 16. Had that cat we got form the 9 Lives foundation/Resuce and my faimly had him for almost half my life. To this day I still always think about how bad ass and cool of a cat he was. He gave me a literal Robbie Lawler scar because I kept blowing air in his face like a jack ass lol. I still have that cat in cremated an urn.

Reminiscing about the good times you and your Lucky had might be the best way to get through this.Try not to ruminate over the situation and the what if's because most of the time it will only deepen your emotions.

IMHO, the best way to get over a beloved pet's death is to get more pets! Again, my condolences and I hope this feeling doesn't last a life time for you.

18. SMillard

SMillard Red Belt

sorry to hear about it, just reflect on the fact that you gave him a good life and saved him from the shithole you picked him up from. It's better you let him go out with dignity and with minimum pain and suffering. I know it's a very hard choice to make but you made the right one, sorry you couldn't be there to say goodbye, that's the part that really sucks.

19. Dolomite

Dolomite Red Belt

That's natural - of course you feel that way.

Thing is: You were there for Lucky when it mattered the most: when he needed someone to rescue him. And now you can look back and say you gave him the best years of his life and (it sounds like) vice-versa.

Shit man - there is literally nothing you could have done or do now: dogs live a fraction of the years we do. And there is nothing wrong or foul about helping them along when nature decides it's their time to go: This is your final act of kindness. It is a kind, decent and humane thing to do.

Don't know you, didn't know your dog - but I know people like you - and I can say with complete confidence that Lucky was very happy with how things worked out with you and your family. You know it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  20. Archie Goodwin

Archie Goodwin Confidential Assistant and Legman Extraordinaire Platinum Member

GD, Bro, I'm sorry to hear it. Beautiful dog. Wish I could give you a hug and buy you a beer right now. Stay strong, man.

Dogstarman likes this.