Had their number...

ya, i know but he certainly didn't achieve anything after the roy fight, anything close to what a great fighter should. Glen Johnson wasn't any great fighter, Hopkins was what? 40 by that time? It puzzled me how such a fighter beat roy for a long time but I finally figured that it was that Roy lost his legs, he thought his legs were taking him to places they weren't anymore, Tarver wouldn't have even been that close to roy a few years earlier. I still remember when Roy fought Clinton Woods and was looking fine but at one point, out of the blue he backed into the ropes and I thought "that's not a good sign". I believe he lost his legs and why not, he'd been doing roadwork since he was five, they say his knees were so shot in later years that he couldn't even run. So, a stationary boxer is vulnerable. Ali dealt with losing his legs by becomiong a warrior, Roy didn't have the chin to do that.

Those are all solid points, nothing for me to really argue lol.

JMM over Pac.

I was thinking of putting this one, but thought some might bitch about the response since Manny does have 2 wins (I thought it should be 2-0-2 for JMM). Pretty good choice tho IMO, considering JMM is quite a bit smaller than a number of what at considered Pac's greatest wins. His straight down the pipe, counter punching style was the perfect foil. He would have knocked him out in other fights, if not for Pac having an amazing chin, and being a cardio/conditioning freak.

Margarito against Cotto

Again, for the 100th time, loaded gloves or not, a fresh Margarito would beat Cotto 9 x’s out of 10

What sort of shit are you talking about here?

Cotto proved in the rematch he was clearly a class above him

What sort of shit are you talking about here?

Cotto proved in the rematch he was clearly a class above him
Read my post, I did specify a “fresh Margarito” for a reason, the Margarito he beat was a badly deteriorated version.

Kenny Norton was basically a journeyman who looked like an ATG against ATG's in Ali and Holmes.

I thought Norton beat Holmes. That was a spectacular performance. An underrated fighter in a loaded era of talent.

frankie randall/chavez, a tough,boxer puncher with a lot to prove.

Kenny Norton was basically a journeyman who looked like an ATG against ATG's in Ali and Holmes.
norton has been criticized many times, I remember a magazine stating he didn't belong in the hall of fame. Norton was a solid pro in the toughest heavyweight era ever. Very intelligent, great athlete, (one of the all time great physiques in the sport) unusual, awkward style that caused nightmares for the boxers but put him in with a killer and he froze. Never fought his friend frazier, but not on his level, lost to foreman, shavers,cooney, anyone who could hit petrified him. Ali was convinced that Norton would beat Foreman, probably based on thinking like "he beat me, he'll beat george who ain't as good as me" which was true but george was a mean motherfucker who wanted to hurt people.

Margarito against Cotto

Again, for the 100th time, loaded gloves or not, a fresh Margarito would beat Cotto 9 x’s out of 10
I could beat a prime Iron Mike if I had a luger... Margarito was caught red-handed, fuck that guy.

Bellew had the advantage of fighting an aged and inactive Haye. I suspect things would have been much different in 2010-11 when Haye was at his best (no toe excuses).

Maidana had Broner's number, maybe.

Maidana was just better than Broner.

Margarito against Cotto

It's controversial, but I do sort of share this sentiment. Diaz did give Cotto a better gameplan in the rematch, but Margarito was coming on a bit before his eye completely gave out, and that was a Margarito who had sustained two devastating beatings.

It's controversial, but I do sort of share this sentiment. Diaz did give Cotto a better gameplan in the rematch, but Margarito was coming on a bit before his eye completely gave out, and that was a Margarito who had sustained two devastating beatings.
fuck margarito and his plaster fucking handwraps. he can burn in hell.

kittikasem/chitalada, though a lot of that was just age
May Loi/Ortiz as well

Did Holyfield beat Tyson because Tyson was past it, or did Holyfield just have Tyson's number stylistically?

Pryor against Arguello

Outside the Arguello wins Pryor never really acheived much, IMO probably one the most overated fighters in history

Margarito against Cotto

I'm not sure he wins it 9 out of 10 times, and Margarito can eat an old sock for his shenanigans, but I agree he's always a tough fight for Cotto. He could take a beating a bit better and still be consistent late in the fight. His volume would still be an issue for Miguel for the last 4 or 5 rounds (it was even looking like he might be coming on in the second fight, too, before the stoppage).

But I like Cotto more, so no. Cotto wins that fight 11 out of 10 times - he hits Margarito so hard the 10th time he immediately forfeits the 11th, even though it wasn't scheduled.

But I like Cotto more, so no. Cotto wins that fight 11 out of 10 times - he hits Margarito so hard the 10th time he immediately forfeits the 11th, even though it wasn't scheduled.
No need to be facetious, the only fights we know he legitimately won are his last 4 wins.
hvgwzdhouoxnpqbehmr4.jpg

I've always felt Taylor was a better fighter than Pavlik.

JCC was better than DLH, but age caught up to him.

Back